Holiday Season G2G

richidoo

Re: Holiday Season G2G
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2015, 01:22 am »
Last he said a tentative yes.

richidoo

« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2015, 11:53 pm »
Sunday Evening Bump... to catch some stragglers, and lure anybody on the fence.

Added to the lineup will be my new Revel Performa3 F208s.

Also Audio Research Reference 1 tube preamp with Audio Research VT100mk3 amplifier, with fresh set of Genalex Gold Lion KT-88s. It's all breaking in now, sounding very nice.

Sol Samet is bringing his new I-15 integrated amplifier. 15 "Sol" watts means both channels driven, 20-20kHz, all day long into 8ohms. Max power is more like 40+ watts into 4 ohms. You've never heard a small SS amp sound this good. I heard it yesterday with the F208s and Buffalo2 DAC. Wow! It has a silky, "wet" sound. Strong, extended, confident, powerful, clear true tone. The design is frozen and we are working on a PCB now so he can offer these for sale. He is also updating his I-60 amplifier with concepts learned from the latest I-15 upgrades, he's hoping that is ready for g2G.

K&K Audio's "Maxed Out Phono Stage" might be attending. If someone wants to bring a TT with MC cart then we won't have to mod the phono pre for my MM. Otherwise we will, and the vinyl will be heaven!

Various iFi DACs and iFi USB will be in attendance.

Various JPS SC3 speaker and interconnects are always on hand. Bring yours to compare.

Other goodies still to be confirmed, but I know some illustrious dignitaries are scheming what treasures they should bring.

Less than 2 weeks!
Rich

richidoo

« Reply #22 on: 29 Nov 2015, 10:09 pm »
Long weekend bump. Everyone is invited.

Those who were tentative please RSVP this week. Thanks

Those who need addy, please PM
Rich

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 4 Dec 2015, 12:49 am »
What's the start time BTW?

richidoo

« Reply #24 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:37 am »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 4 Dec 2015, 03:43 am »

dflee

« Reply #26 on: 4 Dec 2015, 01:55 pm »
"One is the loneliest number"

richidoo

« Reply #27 on: 5 Dec 2015, 06:00 pm »

Free food, free beer, good sounds, good cheer.
Come git it.  :thumb:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #28 on: 5 Dec 2015, 06:47 pm »

Free food, free beer, good sounds, good cheer.
Come git it.  :thumb:

Really ?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 5 Dec 2015, 08:57 pm »
Pretty awesome little monitors from Selah Audio

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: 6 Dec 2015, 01:27 am »

TomS

« Reply #31 on: 6 Dec 2015, 01:56 am »

richidoo

« Reply #32 on: 7 Dec 2015, 10:34 pm »
Finally some pics

Clearaudio Concept with Anand's Narada Phono Pre

AR Ref1 and VT100mk3, Narada all tubes!

Selah Audio prototytpe stand mount, a little wonder

Plays much bigger than it looks

PS Audio DirectStream DSD DAC and Revel Performa3 F208

Bent Audio Balanced Preamp

DIY Buffalo2 DAC under Oppo CDP

Jason, Sol, Anand, Steve

Samet I-15 amp, Bent preamp, JPS Superconductor 3 ICs and SCs

P.I. Audio UberBuss, Zen Wires on Anand's phono preamp, DIY acoustic panel

Meniscus Audio 'Kairos' monitors on DIY sand filled stands, external XOs

What a mess!

Golden Hour! >11PM

richidoo

« Reply #33 on: 8 Dec 2015, 08:20 pm »
I was wondering why my Buffalo2/Legato DAC was sounding so bad at the G2G. I haven't enjoyed listening to it for some time. 

When I bought the Legato kit, I ordered 2 Placid BP PS so I could do separate left and right PS for the Legato. When building I saw that the Legato is class A  so there is little variation in current draw, so one PS is sufficient to power the both channels. I built one Placid BP and ran the DAC for a few months. Then the Placid broke, it was doing some slow 1s oscillation, I can't remember the details it was about two years ago. Even Sol couldn't figure out what was wrong with it on his bench.  So I trashed it and built the other Placid that I had on hand and have been using that since.

After the meet I was feeling weird. Happy to find out that my DAC was responsible for a few problems I was concerned about. And depressed wondering how am I gonna come up with $6k for DirectStream DAC or $3k for Vega or e22. Which led to the thought, WTF? This Buffalo should not suck so bad! It didn't used to suck, so maybe something is wrong with it. Maybe the Placid is messed up again.

Sure enough... Placid was putting out +15 / -12V rails and current shunting was 30mA (on both rails) instead of 50-60mA recommended. It was originally setup correctly and sounded good after the last time I worked on it. So I disconnected the supply from the Legato and went through the setup procedure from scratch. It adjusted but either the pots are not great or the circuit is diffcult to adjust. Making adjustments is difficult and there is 1/4 turn of slop in the trimmers. I blame the pots for the loss of original voltage and current settings. It really needs fixed resistors to be stable, imo. Just breathing on these pots changes the current shunting by a large percentage. It's playing now, and I'll listen to it tonight to see if it sounds better again. Then I'll start thinking about fixing the Placid or building new PS using Belleson trouble free fixed voltage regulators like I have on the Buffalo board.

groovybassist

« Reply #34 on: 9 Dec 2015, 01:49 pm »
Rich:

It was great meeting you and everyone else at the GTG.  Was fun to get exposure to some equipment I wouldn't have otherwise and be inspired by all of you guys who build and modify stuff - maybe some day I'll try my hand at soldering.  :)

-Mike

richidoo

« Reply #35 on: 11 Dec 2015, 12:44 am »
Thanks for coming Mike, see you next time!  ;)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: 11 Dec 2015, 12:54 am »
maybe some day I'll try my hand at soldering.  :)

-Mike
It's super easy!