New thread for Mini reviews/feedback

groovybassist

New thread for Mini reviews/feedback
« on: 9 Dec 2007, 05:23 am »
Bob:

I'm shocked and amazed!!!  Since my last "review" posting of the Mini's, they have taken a quantum leap forward in terms of bass response/coherence.  I've got about 15 hours on them now, so the woofers must be loosening up.  Transient snap is WAY sharper than it was just a day ago and the whole musical presentation has taken on a coherence I haven't heard in my room - ever.  I use Naim gear for my front-end and amp, so I'm very familiar with their PRaT, which is very important to me as a musician (bassist) earlier in my life.  The Mini's are letting that aspect of Naim gear shine, while presenting everything else in a natural, organic way.  I can't believe the transformation.

I was listening to Steely Dan - Aja a bit ago.  It's not an audiophile disc by any standards, but it's got some great drumwork and interaction between the musicians.  It was easy to hear the intent of the musicians and how they were interacting with each other.  I can honestly say I've never heard this so clearly in my room before and certainly never felt compelled enough to write about.  The most amazing thing about this is that I literally spent 30 seconds on setup and I know my setup isn't even close to optimum for my room.  I'm floored...

You have created something very special in the Mini's - my hat's off to you and your team! :notworthy:

-Mike

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: New thread for Mini reviews/feedback
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2007, 05:53 am »
Bob:

I'm shocked and amazed!!!  Since my last "review" posting of the Mini's, they have taken a quantum leap forward in terms of bass response/coherence.  I've got about 15 hours on them now, so the woofers must be loosening up.  Transient snap is WAY sharper than it was just a day ago and the whole musical presentation has taken on a coherence I haven't heard in my room - ever. I can't believe the transformation.

I was listening to Steely Dan - Aja a bit ago.

Mike,
Exactly, the first night I had mine (last Monday) I played one CD- Aja and the first thing I noticed was the bass being less than well defined. I was not concerned though because I have heard a lot of new speakers (from 20 years of hanging out at the local stereo shop way too much) and I was confident the bass and slight treble issues would sort themselves out in time. I just didn't expect it to be so soon, somewhere between 10 and 15 hours for me.
The accuracy and detail, not just in the mids or highs, but even in the low frequencies is something special, unlike anything I have had the privilege of hearing before.

Lin :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2007, 05:53 am »
Are you hearing what you were looking for...."taut punchy bass" ?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:02 am »

....and I am wondering where it is coming from.  :scratch:
A 7" driver and a 16.5" x 9.5" x 12.75" box.

Lin

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:06 am »

....and I am wondering where it is coming from.  :scratch:
A 7" driver and a 16.5" x 9.5" x 12.75" box.

Lin
.... :lol: Funny....isn't it Lin. But you hear it....so its there.

That question was for Mike....in the past, thats what concerned him in his search for speakers.... 8)

groovybassist

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:06 am »
Lin:

Interesting we'd choose the same CD, but I heard exactly what you described, which is why I'm so amazed at the transformation.  Songs that sounded like they were loping along now sound like they have a serious groove going, with lots of syncopation - very cool.  What I'm hearing now is a TON of dynamics and transient snap, with what I'd call "natural" sounding bass.  It's taut/punchy when it should be and full/round when it should be.   I've had lots of speakers come through my door from some very recognizable (and pricey) names, but none has hit the nail on the head so directly, with so little effort to set-up.  I'm sold. :D

-Mike

groovybassist

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:09 am »
Lonewolf:

See above - you know me too well!

-Mike

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:12 am »
I'm guessing you guys don't often "turn it up"....volume wise. :rock:
As an experiment....give those speakers a "little push"....curious to hear what you guys have to say about the response and what you hear....thanks. :thumb:

(I know its late....tomorrow. 8) )

Lonewolf:

See above - you know me too well!

-Mike
.....I read past posts Mike..... :lol:

Thanks..... :beer:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:13 am »

That question was for Mike....in the past, thats what concerned him in his search for speakers.... 8)

I figured it was Chris, but since Mike and I think alike I thought I would answer for him.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
One area where Mike is wrong - the finish, Walnut looks much better.  :lol:

Lin

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:14 am »

I figured it was Chris, but since Mike and I think alike I thought I would answer for him.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lin

But I bet you don't play bass Lin..... :lol:

groovybassist

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:16 am »
Lonewolf:

I'll be happy to goose 'em a bit...it'll have to wait until Monday though when no one's around!

Lin:

Feel free to answer for me anytime, as long as your answer is witty and intelligent of course.

-Mike

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:17 am »
I'll be happy to goose 'em a bit...it'll have to wait until Monday though when no one's around!
Great....thanks Mike... :thumb:

Double Ugly

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:29 am »
You have created something very special in the Mini's - my hat's off to you and your team! :notworthy:

Congrats, Mike!  :D

As an experiment....give those speakers a "little push"....curious to hear what you guys have to say about the response and what you hear....thanks. :thumb:

I know where you're going with this!  :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:35 am »
I know where you're going with this!

Ever watch the woofer on the TP's at high volume....wow...what a sight...ask Robin/satfrat....or the other Raver's.... :lol:

And it sounds sooooo gooooood...... :rock:  :lol:

Double Ugly

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:45 am »
Ever watch the woofer on the TP's at high volume....wow...what a sight...ask Robin/satfrat....or the other Raver's.... :lol:

And it sounds sooooo gooooood...... :rock:  :lol:

You know I have!  :D

And if you think it sounds good now, Chris, just wait'll you hear the new Mundorf crossover... even the "standard" version.  Seriously. 

You know how skeptical I am, and I had the same doubts as always before I heard it for myself.  The new crossover is soooooooooooo much better than what's found in my and your 'old' 2.0s; it's not even a valid comparison any more.

Mind-boggling!  :o

jfreeman373

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:46 am »
Ha ha ha ha.  Just try to imagine a revelation Grand Master with a couple of 10 inchers a channel. Now that's Bass!

Double Ugly

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:48 am »
Ha ha ha ha.  Just try to imagine a revelation Grand Master with a couple of 10 inchers a channel. Now that's Bass!

I'm trying. 

All in good time, my friend, and with a to-the-nines external crossover to boot!  :wink:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:53 am »
Looking forward to comparing my Mini's (on order) to my "older" TP's.... 8)

jfreeman373

« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:56 am »

I'm trying. 

All in good time, my friend, and with a to-the-nines external crossover to boot!  :wink:

Yeah, after we get the rest of everybody's orders out. Thankfully we now have our MINI  parts vendor almost ready to supply finished cabys. "Then" we'll be rockin' and rollin'.... with orders flying out the door !

Double Ugly

« Reply #19 on: 9 Dec 2007, 07:31 am »
Yeah, after we get the rest of everybody's orders out. Thankfully we now have our MINI  parts vendor almost ready to supply finished cabys. "Then" we'll be rockin' and rollin'.... with orders flying out the door !

That's good.

The not-quite-yet Mini owners are no doubt anxious to receive their orders, especially after having read the first couple of reviews.  :D