30 Sig for 86.5 db?

stlrman

30 Sig for 86.5 db?
« on: 24 Dec 2011, 09:29 pm »
Would the 30 Sig be enough to power an    86.5 db speaker (stand mount, 8 ohm) in a med size room? Sometimes I like to crank it.
This would be replacing 100 watt Jolida 1501 RC
Thanks,
Todd
anybody ever listen to both of these amps?

Alwayswantmore

Re: 30 Sig for 86.5 db?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2011, 09:46 pm »
Some of Vinnie's WLM speakers may be in this range, so it will be good to get his input. Every 3db increase in volume requires a double in power. 3db is not a real big diff in volume. So compare a 30 watt to 100 watt, there is less than a 6db delta. Most people use less power than they think for general listening. It's the peaks that require temporary large amounts of power. And some amps to better with peaks than do others. So this is just background and not a definitive answer to your Q. Good luck. Kent

Would the 30 Sig be enough to power an    86.5 db speaker (stand mount, 8 ohm) in a med size room? Sometimes I like to crank it.
Thanks,
Todd

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: 30 Sig for 86.5 db?
« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2011, 04:34 pm »
Thanks,
Todd

Hi Todd,

If you like to crank it up loud with an 86.5dB efficient speaker, you are probably going to want more power than the Signature 30.  I guess it depends on "how loud" are you looking to play, especially those dynamic peaks that Alwayswantmore mentions above. 

If you have ever played loud enogh with your Jolida to hit distortion, then 30 wpc is not going to be enough with your speakers...

Sincerely,

Vinnie