N3 build finished, and boy do they sound good.

yakman2000

N3 build finished, and boy do they sound good.
« on: 30 Nov 2009, 05:02 pm »

Terribly exciting for me, as my first pair have come to life.

I've been listening to them all weekend on everything from the Star Trek movie to handel concerti grossi, and pretty mcuh everything in between.  They completely outclass the KEFs, and somewhat overshadow the x-voce center channel in terms of clarity and fullness of sound. 

The finish is Makore veneer, with solid mohogany (yes, mohogany can be that colour if you don't stain it) bases. No staining in favour of letting the wood come through as much as possible.

Great design, Danny.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: N3 build finished, and boy do they sound good.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2009, 05:35 pm »
You could always build a new voce using the neo tweeter.  Or for much less work get the ninja upgraded crossover for the voce.  The stock crossovers really hold back the full potential of the encore tweeters. 

emac

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2009, 05:40 pm »
Look terrific, and I'm sure that they sound terrific too. 

As for a center, you build a center channel version of the N3, which should more than do the trick.  The Voce just isn't in the same league as the N3's, as I discovered when I swapped in the O-3's for the Ninja modded X-Omni's.  Though, it's also possible that soundstage wise, the Voce doesn't match well w/ the N3's, since it is OB and a different type of sound. 

Either way, congrats.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2009, 06:23 pm »
Look great - congratulations!  I too used Makore on my most recent towers - nice 3D depth of grain.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2009, 10:53 pm »
Man, those look really good. Nice job.  :thumb: