ohenry

Re: COLLEGE FOOTBALL RETURNS!
« Reply #320 on: 2 Sep 2018, 02:55 pm »
Why does it smell like Astroglide in here?  :P

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #321 on: 2 Sep 2018, 03:01 pm »
henry may consider his comments to be good natured chiding but they come off to me as nasty, vulgar and adolescent. Whatever his thinking, they are not civil in tone or content. In other words, he is inviting a time out.

Please warn him once and then shut him out for as long as it takes for him to grow up.

ohenry

« Reply #322 on: 2 Sep 2018, 03:14 pm »
Oh good lord, it's a college football game.  Half the fun is poking sacred cows.  I'm sorry if someone(s) got their little feelers hurt.

ohenry

« Reply #323 on: 2 Sep 2018, 03:16 pm »
...Please warn him once and then shut him out for as long as it takes for him to grow up.

:lol: You should know that drill.

Emil

« Reply #324 on: 2 Sep 2018, 03:20 pm »
henry may consider his comments to be good natured chiding but they come off to me as nasty, vulgar and adolescent. Whatever his thinking, they are not civil in tone or content. In other words, he is inviting a time out.

Please warn him once and then shut him out for as long as it takes for him to grow up.

Well said, Macrojack
Sandusk-holios? Penis State? You would think Henry O is a frat boy at App U when in fact, if his profile is correct, a 62 year old man :duh:

ohenry

« Reply #325 on: 2 Sep 2018, 04:13 pm »
Jeez, this is becoming another no fun zone where correctness is supreme.  Yes, I'm 62 going on 12, and I embrace that.  Y'all should try that sometime.
 :D  Being "stupid" is a gift and life is better once the stick has been extracted.

Mudslide

« Reply #326 on: 2 Sep 2018, 07:23 pm »
Please ignore the troll.  If you don't feed the pigeon, it will fly away.

charmerci

« Reply #327 on: 2 Sep 2018, 10:17 pm »
Jeez, this is becoming another no fun zone where correctness is supreme.  Yes, I'm 62 going on 12, and I embrace that.  Y'all should try that sometime.
 :D  Being "stupid" is a gift and life is better once the stick has been extracted.

I get that you're trying to add life and humor/fun to this but the problem is that it's hard to read intent, inflection and tone of voice.

This is what happened at work a while ago.

First a little background. My mother was Japanese and when I was younger, I looked moreso than now. The kids at grade school teased me - the usual stuff, occasionally calling me chink and "ah-so". If I complained or got bothered, well, they were only "kidding."

Recently, my boss was making fun of the over-enthusiastic style and accent of a Chinese guy he was talking with in a business transaction. My boss is a good guy and certainly isn't a bad guy. I know he was just having a little fun. But nonetheless, him talking like that just triggered an emotional reaction inside, and frankly, I just don't want to hear it. I know that I shouldn't be bothered but it just bristles.

I'm sure you're a nice enough guy but this is a public forum and you just don't know who your audience is.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #328 on: 2 Sep 2018, 10:41 pm »
Well said charmerci, the old adage applies, reread your post and decided if that's what you really wanted to say.  What is harmless banter among friends can be insulting in print.  From someone who lost a coveted promotion over one unwise phrase in an email, a hard lesson learned.

Escott1377

« Reply #329 on: 2 Sep 2018, 10:54 pm »
I have been asked to leave an office before b/c I was wearing a Clemson golf shirt.  Obviously I did not.

I got my masters degree at University of South Carolina and wore Clemson apparel to every class, meeting, etc.

College football is brutal in the SE.  So far as my wife and I had to plan our wedding around GA, Clemson, and USC football games.

BTW - I wore that Clemson shirt in Birmingham and will be wearing it when I visit that office again this month.

They're all of a bunch of Auburn engineers anyways and that's a want-a-be Clemson in my eyes.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #331 on: 3 Sep 2018, 12:18 pm »

College football is brutal in the SE.

Because for years they had no pro football.  Falcons, Jaguars, Panthers are all expansion teams, Titans were transplanted Houston Oilers and Miami is a foreign country to most of the south.  So college football was king and you're very correct, passions run high.  Half of my family is from southern Alabama so you'd think they would all be Roll Tide, but my cousin spent his life as a student then professor at Auburn until his passing, while his brothers attended Alabama.  That subject was avoided at family gatherings.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #332 on: 3 Sep 2018, 01:50 pm »
Because for years they had no pro football.  Falcons, Jaguars, Panthers are all expansion teams, Titans were transplanted Houston Oilers and Miami is a foreign country to most of the south.  So college football was king and you're very correct, passions run high.  Half of my family is from southern Alabama so you'd think they would all be Roll Tide, but my cousin spent his life as a student then professor at Auburn until his passing, while his brothers attended Alabama.  That subject was avoided at family gatherings.

Similar story here in Michigan with the lackluster Lions (60+ years since a championship).  Those in the Upper Peninsula (and farther south) are Packer Backers.  The rest of us are torn between University of Michigan and Michigan State University during footballs and basketball seasons.  Even our house is divided with two kids going to State and one still at U of M.

ohenry

« Reply #333 on: 4 Sep 2018, 02:28 am »
Many good and well taken points made.  I'll lay off the nasty Penn State comments.  I suppose I still have animosity toward academic/business cultures where something as evil as sexual abuse somehow goes unreported for years.  I realize the house has been cleaned at PSU and I will keep that in mind.

Edit:
While I did make off-color remarks about a school, I never attacked anyone personally.  However; I received personal attacks from three forum members.  I didn't realize that is tolerated.  Oh well...  8)
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2018, 06:01 am by ohenry »

Mudslide

« Reply #334 on: 4 Sep 2018, 04:30 am »
I SO loved seeing FSU get crushed by Va. Tech tonight.  That snake, Taggart has taken his undisciplined coaching and poor play calling away from last year's Oregon ruination and put it in Fla!  Yea!!

For those of you who don't know, Taggart was less than a one year head coach at Oregon before lying to his team, his recruits, and Oregon fans about NOT having applied for the FSU job.  He left the next day.  Good dang riddance!!   :dance:

fredgarvin

« Reply #335 on: 4 Sep 2018, 03:28 pm »
I SO loved seeing FSU get crushed by Va. Tech tonight.  That snake, Taggart has taken his undisciplined coaching and poor play calling away from last year's Oregon ruination and put it in Fla!  Yea!!

For those of you who don't know, Taggart was less than a one year head coach at Oregon before lying to his team, his recruits, and Oregon fans about NOT having applied for the FSU job.  He left the next day.  Good dang riddance!!   :dance:

Good riddance indeed!

Charles Calkins

« Reply #336 on: 9 Sep 2018, 05:16 pm »

Very,very,very long day watching college football yesterday.  Turned on my internet jazz radio station about 9 am.
      Shut it down when the last game I watched was over about 11 pm. Cal and Byu.
      One of my granddaughters asked me why don't I listen to the games. "Watching is better than listening. Don't have to
      hear the commercials or commentators." Been doing it this way for at least 35 years.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie

Emil

« Reply #337 on: 11 Sep 2018, 12:30 pm »
Dominate the State!

bad blood between these two fan bases for sure.

One more game at penn State next year with PSU leadin the series 3 game to 1

Emil

« Reply #338 on: 14 Sep 2018, 01:08 pm »
Ducks will be wearing Black and Electric Green this weekend :thumb:

Mike B.

« Reply #339 on: 14 Sep 2018, 02:02 pm »
Thanks for the fancy clothes Uncle Phil. The Ducks first three games are not much to cheer about. I am afraid when Stanford and the Dawgs come to town it will not be a good ending. Maybe next year?