Heard some Maggie 1.7's today

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Heard some Maggie 1.7's today
« Reply #20 on: 26 Sep 2010, 10:01 pm »
I wasn't able to make it as I was doing another hobby and it took longer then expected.  Guess it will have to wait until next weekend.

Is there a HUGE difference between the 1.7 and 3.6?

Huge? That depends on who you talk to of course. But the major differences are bass and dynamic range. The midrange to highs are about the same. Dynamic range is one of those things that without it, you are always convinced that you are listening to a pair of loudspeakers instead of an 'event.' I liked the 3.6 over the 1.7's but that was years ago. James Tanner of Bryston really described them well right here.

Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 26 Sep 2010, 10:13 pm »
I was just told the 3.7 should arrive by end of year...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2010, 11:10 pm »
So much for my "I'm done, no more upgrades...".
No wonder women never believe me.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #23 on: 26 Sep 2010, 11:23 pm »

huh?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 27 Sep 2010, 12:27 am »
I'm always telling Lynda (my better half) that I'm done buying stereo gear. 
She never believes me.
I am going to end up buying some 3.7s, I just know it.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #25 on: 27 Sep 2010, 12:41 am »
She never believes me.

:lol:

Brandon B

« Reply #26 on: 28 Sep 2010, 01:40 am »

How many wonder women do you know?

It's interesting to me, I have 1.6s in one system with a pair of dual dipole woofers (4 12" shivas ) actively XOed to them making them almost full range (flat from 25 to 25).  My second system are some DIY MTMs actively XOed with some 10" sealed woofers, with driver costs alone pretty well north of the 1.6s.

If I am listening to anything "large", i.e. an orchestra, big band, piano, where the original source of the sounds is not really a point source, the maggies completely rule supreme.  They reproduce the music in a way that just feels completely real to me.  And for music with bass, that system also sounds better, but that is more due to the power and size  of the woofers.

But for small acoustic groups or vocals, the box speakers convey more realism.  The maggies still sound good, but in a direct comparison, they just add a sort of air that the box speakers don't, except in recordings where it is present to begin with

So I'd debate Wind Chaser's comment.  I am a maggie man.  Except when I'm not..

stereocilia

« Reply #27 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:14 am »
She never believes me.

I'm loving my 1.7s; they are fantastic.  Thing is, though, I once actually believed that I was done buying stereo gear whenever I made a purchase, so it wasn't a lie.  At this point, I know better.  Funny thing is that my wife knew better long before I did.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #28 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:20 am »
They all do!   :(

stereocilia

« Reply #29 on: 28 Sep 2010, 03:26 am »
I was just told the 3.7 should arrive by end of year...

Told by whom?  A reliable source?  What's the scoop?  Did you meet somebody in a trench coat in an abandoned warehouse whose only identifying feature in the shadows was the orange glow of a Morley cigarette?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #30 on: 28 Sep 2010, 04:23 am »
The maggies still sound good, but in a direct comparison, they just add a sort of air that the box speakers don't, except in recordings where it is present to begin with.

Ah yes, the famous Magneplanar haze.  I've never been bothered by it, but you can clearly hear it, especially in direct comparisons like your set up.  It's like within the finely detailed presentation, there's a little bit of fog between the notes.  I noticed it again last year when for S&G I switched my PSB home theater speakers for the stereo system's Maggies.  While playing music in the stereo room I never hear the haze, but when playing film tracks in the HT room (ok, living room) it became bothersome.  Perhaps someone might offer a technical reason for the haze.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:29 am »
Told by whom?  A reliable source?  What's the scoop? 

By my not so local Magnepan retailer.  In fact, if I were to purchase from him he'll give me a full credit towards the 3.7's when they come out near January.   :dunno:

2bigears

« Reply #32 on: 28 Sep 2010, 12:04 pm »
 :D 3.7's,,,,any big changes,do tell.... :D

stereocilia

« Reply #33 on: 28 Sep 2010, 06:20 pm »
By my not so local Magnepan retailer.  In fact, if I were to purchase from him he'll give me a full credit towards the 3.7's when they come out near January.   :dunno:

My dealer has that policy, too.  But, they have to be twice as much as the 1.7s, and I think the limit is five years.  I've never made use of that trade-up agreement, but if the 3.7s are more than a myth then perhaps I will.  I better start saving!

Feanor

« Reply #34 on: 28 Sep 2010, 06:59 pm »
Ah yes, the famous Magneplanar haze.  I've never been bothered by it, but you can clearly hear it, especially in direct comparisons like your set up.  It's like within the finely detailed presentation, there's a little bit of fog between the notes.  I noticed it again last year when for S&G I switched my PSB home theater speakers for the stereo system's Maggies.  While playing music in the stereo room I never hear the haze, but when playing film tracks in the HT room (ok, living room) it became bothersome.  Perhaps someone might offer a technical reason for the haze.

Dipoles in general produce a certain soundstage due to the rear wave reflections.  This can sound great in a stereo setup, IMO:  that "performers in the room with you" ambience of dipoles.  (BTW, I'm a Magneplanar MG 1.6QR user myself and I do love it.)

However I also so believe that this soundstage is, in the final analysis, an artifact.  It is not the way to go in a multi-channel setup:  all those wonderful rear wave reflections will foil M/C producer and recording engineer's intentions.

Also BTW, I believe that the tube sound, that touted "depth" of image and other tube qualities are also artifacts, abeit pleasing ones.  They aren't the way to go, tough, if you want maximum fidelity.

DustyC

« Reply #35 on: 28 Sep 2010, 08:18 pm »
:D 3.7's,,,,any big changes,do tell.... :D
I predict that the 3.7 will have the quasi ribbon layout for the midrange and bass, just like the 1.7 does. And keep the ribbon tweeter.
Expect hosannas from the heavens (reviewers)  :roll: when it comes out. If you have 3.6's, you better sell them before the word gets out.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 28 Sep 2010, 11:49 pm »
I told Lynda today that 3.7s are supposed to be coming out and that we should go listen to a pair when they do.
She started laughing and said, "Where are we going?  You're already planning on buying them, aren't you?"
She asked where I was going to put them and then suggested that I make a bed out Magnepans for her to listen to!
This is why I'm marrying her. 
I only know one Wonder Woman and that's her.  It's a wonder she puts up with me.
She's a keeper.

BrysTony

« Reply #37 on: 29 Sep 2010, 12:21 am »
I googled Magnepan 3.7 and found that there is definitely a buzz out there but I did not see anything definitive.  Still a secret...

ajzepp

« Reply #38 on: 30 Sep 2010, 02:05 am »
It is not the way to go in a multi-channel setup:  all those wonderful rear wave reflections will foil M/C producer and recording engineer's intentions.

I don't know about m/c music, but with HT I couldn't disagree with you more. Maggie Magic with movies is maybe the most addicting aspect of this hobby for me. I used to have about 20' of side wall between my MMG mains and MMG-W surrounds a few years ago. The soundstage was so amazing that I often had effects seeming coming in from the side of the room, even with there being that much distance between the front and rear speakers. Vocals are crystal clear, you hear every little detail of the soundtrack, and there are plenty of dynamics to be had when you take the time to set them up properly.

5.1 Maggie Magic with movies is  :thumb:

trout2

« Reply #39 on: 1 Oct 2010, 03:22 pm »
I wasn't able to make it as I was doing another hobby and it took longer then expected.  Guess it will have to wait until next weekend.

Is there a HUGE difference between the 1.7 and 3.6?

Yes -- and the differences should be huge for more the twice the $....