S-Video vs. Composite cable??

TheChairGuy

« on: 31 Jan 2003, 11:02 pm »
Okay, I'm a rarity here.

I only got turned on to DVD within the last 6 months, own not a one (I'm cheap and they are free at library or $4.00 rental at Blockbuster).

Got a nice Pioneer DVD-656A DVD/DVD-A player and a 2 year old 24" Sony WEGA with only choice of S video or Composite inputs.

I read somewhere Composite over S-Video...any opinions out there??

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2003, 12:30 am »
From what I gather composite is like a 1/4 step better than S-video.  Whereas S-video is a step up from coaxial.

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2003, 12:47 am »
It's Component that's better than S-Video. S-video is a step up on Composite. Composite is a step up from F-Pin (Coax).

So if your Wega only has Composite & S-Vid, the S-Vid should give you a better picture with the DV-656A.

Just find yourelf a good S cable and you'll find out for yourself.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2003, 02:15 am »
S-Vid is the minimum acceptable standard IMO, and just barely at that.  I suggest using Component in all circumstances where it's possible.  Short of that, S-vid is a big step up from composite, which I only use for the VCR (and that out of necessity).

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2003, 02:22 am »
No componest on the Sony...but based on your opinions here, sounds like S-video is the way to go over lowly Composite.

I think I'll prowl around for something decent soon.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2003, 06:06 am »
What length do you need? I've probably got a few extra S cables around that I'd give you a good deal on.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2003, 10:39 pm »
Hey Bubba,

Need only 2m now, but probably best to get 3m for 'what if' purposes in the future...

What you got..you can PM me; or, if you got a bunch and wanna' advertise it, let me know here.  No diff to me.... :)

I'm partial to LAT International stuff overall..their 2m is $49.00, 3m is $59 I think and they are nicely made.  Their Composite cable is $69 and $79 for 2 and 3m, respectively.  They are the guys that claim that S-Video is inferior to Composite, though....everybody's got a GD opinion, eh, in this game?

Lemme' know, thanks.

bubba966

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2003, 04:25 am »
Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. Haven't spent much time here at AC in the last week or so...

Upon looking I've only got 1M cables. So I can't help you out there. I could rec' a few for you though. I know this opinion isn't a very popular one as most audiophiles just despise this company. But Monster actually makes some very nice S-Video cables. Granted, I don't bother with their audio cables as I've not been fond of their performance. But I've seen their S-Vid cables spank some seriously expensive stuff from Audio Quest & Transparent Audio. The best comparo I ran was a Monster M1000SV ($60/1M) to the Transparent Reference S-Vid ($360/1M). The Monster was noticeably sharper, with better color detail as well.

Since then I've moved up to Monster's M2000HDSV S-Vid. It is a better S cable than their M1000SV, but it's $150/1M, $200/2M compared to the $60/1M, $80/2M pricing of the M1000SV. I don't think it's really worth the extra $ to go for the M2000's as the price/performance ratio isn't nearly as good as the M1000.

Their M500 S-Vid is also fairly good if you don't care to cough up the $ for the M1000. But I think the M1000 is a better buy over the M500.

Anyway I think you should at least give the Monster S-Vids a look http://www.monstercable.com/home_av/video_cables/s-video_mseries.asp

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2003, 04:38 am »
Hey Bubba,

Me sorry too...been busy this last week, so here I be.

I actually like Monster...I like machine made, mass produced cables and Monster is the biggest I know of.  As the biggest, they buy it for less (ostensibly) and sell it for good prices.

I bought the M1000i (audio IC's) and thought they were really good for the money.  They reside in that same modest video system I described earlier.

Who knows what the heck is 'the best' - I am happy with noticeable improvement.

Yep, I'li check the 1000's and 2000's out, for sure.  Thanks.

bubba966

« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2003, 08:47 am »
I actually only use Monster stuff on my video. Any analog I've got is run on AQ cables.

I think you'd probably be best of with M1000 S-Vid. M2000 is better, but not really for what they cost over M1000.

I actually found M2000 S-Vid to be just a hair better than M1000 Component Vid on a Pioneer Elite DV-09. There was a touch less dot crawl on the M2000 S-Vid over the M1000 Component.

Let us know what you end up with and what you think of it. I'm still surprised there's someone else here that actually like some of Monster's gear... :o

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 19 Feb 2003, 09:53 pm »
Let us know what you end up with and what you think of it. I'm still surprised there's someone else here that actually like some of Monster's gear... :o[/quote]

Heck yeah, Bubba - those guys didn't get that size by making total junk.  They were once the audiophile darlings, then they made the mistake of making...hush...immense profits. :P

I have their Subwoofer cable M300 and, though I have nothing to compare to, I think it's pretty great for $39.99 2 meter.  Again, I have 'el cheapo' sub and 2 mains in my modest video system, but I heard a nice upgrade when installed. It's specially constructed with solid core strands best suited for low frequencies...no need for thinner strands and skin effect removal..no highs being carried.  Rather smart I think - I know others have sub cables, but not many for $39.99 2 meter.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

shokunin

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2003, 07:00 pm »
For video cables, the high end monster cables are pretty good.  I've used mostly broadcast cables from companies like Have Inc, Markertek and avcable.com, which use belden, canare, gepco, etc. with true 75ohm Bnc or rca connectors.  They've all been excellent video cable are reasonable prices.