Finished - Over the Top LS9 Build

jermmd

Re: Finished - Over the Top LS9 Build
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2010, 11:44 pm »
Really nice work. The lit up crossovers are totally cool.

Is that a dog toy with the black dog on the mat?

sch

« Reply #21 on: 11 May 2010, 02:15 am »
Wow!!!
Congratulations!!! Beautiful work of art. Welcome to the Club ( I have my XO in separate boxes as well).
Enjoy :)

hesster

« Reply #22 on: 11 May 2010, 09:49 am »
The dogs are fake.  The little one farts.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #23 on: 11 May 2010, 02:15 pm »
The dogs are fake.  The little one farts.
Don't they all?

ebag4

« Reply #24 on: 11 May 2010, 02:20 pm »
Beautiful veneer work, very nice  :thumb:.

Best,
Ed

NeilT

« Reply #25 on: 11 May 2010, 02:43 pm »
Drop dead beautiful.  :drool:
You should be very proud. :thumb:
How did you get that mirror finish?
What did you use to sand between poly coats?
What brand / type of Poly?
Thanks
Neil

hesster

« Reply #26 on: 11 May 2010, 05:17 pm »
Sanded all surfaces lightly with 220 and then 400.  Still easy to sand through the 22m Veneer so go easy.  First finish was with Watco Teak oil, let dry for 3-4 days minimum since it bleeds a bit.  Then used 4-6 coats of Minwax Gloss Spar Urethane - I found it to be the best  to build up and sand down.  It took a Gallon and a Quart.  Applied it with foam brushes which I disposed after each use.  Only worked on Horizontal surfaces, and "poured" it on and smoothed it out, let dry 1-2 days and sanded any run-off drips.  Sanded all coats in between with 400, final coat with 600 and slathered on the top coat.  The Spar dries like a rock, is very glossy, and hard as nails.  I used a NIOSH resperator and long sleeves, since this stuff is nasty and I learned full protection is required after my arms got a rash from the sanding dust and fumes.  It was worth it.

NeilT

« Reply #27 on: 11 May 2010, 07:12 pm »
Only worked on Horizontal surfaces, and "poured" it on and smoothed it out, let dry 1-2 days and sanded any run-off drips. 
How long did you wait for it to set up and move to the next surface?
Sanded all coats in between with 400, final coat with 600 and slathered on the top coat.
What kind of sandpaper or pads did you use, by hand or did you use an orbital power sander.

It must have taken weeks, but so worth it. :thumb:
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge / finishing secrets.
Neil

hesster

« Reply #28 on: 11 May 2010, 08:14 pm »
The first coat I had to wait 3-4 days since it needed to be hard enough given I had used Tung Oil to bring out the rich coloring of the Rosewood.  Then the next coats dried almost overnight, so I gave it at least a day.  You will know when you start sanding - you want a fine powder and it won't load up the sandpaper.  I used a hard foam style sanding pad that you can get from Home Depot or any Hardware store, and wrapped the sandpaper around it.  The foam pad is more forgiving and won't burn through the Veneer, which is easy to do when finishing the corners and edges.  It is all done by hand following the grain - would not use a sander as this leaves orbit marks and burns through in a hurry.  I have alot of practice from custom painting cars.  I used the more expensive sandpaper that lasts longer and does not load up, the final coats I used 400 / 600 which hides any sand scratch's.  Once the sandpaper begins to load up or wear, pitch it, as it will only start "rolling" the finish off.  You will never get it dead flat due to the deep wood grain and texture pits, but 4-6 heavy coats will get it near perfect. This brand of Urethane spreads out exceptionally, put it on THICK and foam brush it out and it will melt out dead flat.  Here is a pic of the stuff I used, and of course, Kudo's to the Designer Danny.

« Last Edit: 11 May 2010, 09:26 pm by hesster »

NeilT

« Reply #29 on: 11 May 2010, 09:57 pm »
Thanks again for the feedback, good stuff.
Neil