Plans and Projects for 2016

richidoo

Plans and Projects for 2016
« on: 1 Jan 2016, 03:22 pm »
So here we are, January 1, 2016. A brand new year full of possibilities and potential!

What do you have planned for your audio journey in the coming year?  Any new purchases planned or hoped for? Any plans to build something new, or change your system? 

I don't know about you but I have a lot of plans for this year, some small, some big.  Some still forming that I'm not even sure I really want to do. 

richidoo

Re: Plans and Projects for 2016
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2016, 03:42 pm »
Some things I'm thinkin about doing this year:

I want to try to move my system upstairs to the somewhat isolated room above the garage so I can listen louder and later, but I'm a little afraid to move out of the downstairs family room. It might get reclaimed to its proper use!

If/when I move upstairs I want to try CABS subwoofer system, with the 4 subwoofers being infinite baffle, with backwave going into side attics or garage under the floor.

I am definitely getting a new DAC. Old one has caused enough gray hairs. Not sure if I will DIY or go commercial.

I want to build a rack for vinyl and some shelves for my CDs.

Build a home theater. Wat?!? Yup, I need to move the TV from the upstairs audio room space. So 3 rooms have to change purpose. My wife is all for it, and she wants a big flat screen TV so this is good opportunity to change everything.

I'm learning how to design PCBs to help a friend bring his amplifier designs to market. Steep learning curve, but fun. I'd like to complete 2 of them this year. 1 is halfway done.

I want to experiment with record cleaning methods. I have some weird ideas to try. "One weird trick to clean vinyl LPs!" Look for me in your Spam folder! Last year I built a jig to try my 1300psi pressure washer, it didn't do anything!

Finish converting my 2 way Kairos stand speakers to 3 way floorstanding.

Wall-mount my TT to get it off the floor! Not sure how that will work with 8 inwall subwoofers...  :lol:

Maybe start an audio blog so I can write more without clogging up the forums.  :D

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2016, 04:46 pm »
Great idea for a thread Rich!

I plan to complete the following;

Build a Bottlehead Kaiju 300b amp ( should recieve kit around the end of January)
Build a pair of "U" frame GR Research OB Servo Subs using 12" drivers for use with my Wedgies
Build a base for my stereo rack which will be a slab of granite sitting on a bed of sand
Paint my PI Audio diffusers and install them in place of my poly diffuser
Paint the 2 channel room
Paint the HT room

Ask again next year and I will probably have the same list  :oops: :lol:

Happy new year to all!

Best,
Ed

johnvin01

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2016, 02:21 pm »
Looking for tubes this year. Thats my short upgrade list.
I would build but I'm such a novice I fear I would be wasting money 

Scott_W

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2016, 01:12 pm »
Rebuild the system...
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2016, 03:22 am by Scott_W »

ClefChef

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2016, 04:49 pm »
Oh boy, don't know where to begin.

We are in the process of buying a house, which is 200 yards away from Liquid HiFi in Ballantyne, Charlotte - should be an "interesting" neighborhood. Should have my dedicated listening space (finally) as well as an entire garage for my workshop.
I also decided to get back into vinyl, bought a used RP3, did all the necessary modifications. Building Aikido Phono preamp to suit my needs.

Getting my engineering diploma, getting a new job.

Lots of plans, lots of projects.

johnvin01

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2016, 09:12 pm »
Looking for tubes this year. Thats my short upgrade list.
I would build but I'm such a novice I fear I would be wasting money

went for it...Dynaco ST70. Loving it!!!!!

xsb7244

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2016, 12:48 am »
richidoo,

Who is your friend for the PCB you are designing?

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 4 May 2016, 02:47 am »
PM sent

richidoo

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2016, 05:05 pm »
A couple years ago, a  local ACer (I forget his name) posted looking to quickly get rid of a 1989 NEC CD player, which was upgraded by Ric Schultz many years ago. He couldn't find anybody so he PM'd me to see if I knew anyone who could take it immediately as he was moving. I met him near RDU and took it for $20. The packing box also contained a corkboard and an old watch, so I figured I was ahead already. He said, "It worked last time I used it, 15 years ago....." Uh, oh.. I knew what that meant but what the hell.

I did what I could to revive it, but analog section wouldn't power. So I gave it to my friend Sol who corrected all the issues and got it playing. He removed a lot of the mods and did some repairs. Cleaned the laser, etc. When I played it at home I couldn't believe the sound.

It is from the early days of CD, when quality players were available and mfgs wanted to make a statement. This has two phillips 1541 NOS DAC chips, and original Signetic 5532 output buffers! Signetics invented the 5532, the originals are one of the best audio opamps ever made. It sounds incredible! It replaces an Oppo DVD player I bought from another ACer for $30. I was just using the Oppo for transport, but this NEC will definitely be an analog source!

Still a few things to tidy up. The power button was deactivated, so I'll make that work again and I'll add an IEC since the captive custom AC cord has no strain relief at the moment. The inside of it is covered in stick-on lead, some of it in the darndest places. :)

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2016, 06:47 pm »
Richidoo  :o

Pics or it didn't happen  :wink:

Anand.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2016, 07:04 pm »
Richidoo  :o

Pics or it didn't happen  :wink:

Anand.
Hopefully a G2G is coming soon.  I'm a bit hungry for chili audio.   :green:

richidoo

« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2016, 09:37 pm »

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2016, 09:46 pm »
Hopefully a G2G is coming soon.  I'm a bit hungry for chili audio.   :green:

How's June 18th, Chiliboy?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #14 on: 27 May 2016, 11:32 am »
Very nice Rich. Plenty to learn from. The 1541a is legendary, and after much scrutinizing, I can see the Signet output buffers. If you end up adding an IEC, I'll bring one of my DH Labs power cords like last time.

I built a NOS dac a LONG while back using the TDA1543 - "musical" sound.