Successsion - Episode 2

Jrhodus

Re: Successsion - Episode 2
« Reply #40 on: 11 Aug 2023, 03:07 pm »
Good luck in all your endeavors in the future.  We got our ss9.5 speakers in November 2020 and smile whenever we listen to them.  It was a pleasure to meet you and Mary when we picked up the speakers.

Thank you for skills and talents

James

jsalk

« Reply #41 on: 11 Aug 2023, 03:35 pm »
Good luck in all your endeavors in the future.  We got our ss9.5 speakers in November 2020 and smile whenever we listen to them.  It was a pleasure to meet you and Mary when we picked up the speakers.

Thank you for skills and talents

James

James -

Thanks.  Much appreciated.

- Jim

Mikerodrig27

« Reply #42 on: 12 Aug 2023, 06:54 pm »
I have always admired your speakers from a distance. The open-backed Accuton is special. I will keep my eyes peeled for if you ever decide to sell plans for your speakers.

Did you have custom drivers made or were you able to use mainly off-the-shelf stuff?

Hey, 20 years of making a living in a very difficult industry. I know your business has come to an end but I still feel as though what you have done is a huge accomplishment!

So it is time for a new chapter. :)

jsalk

« Reply #43 on: 12 Aug 2023, 08:13 pm »
Did you have custom drivers made or were you able to use mainly off-the-shelf stuff?

Hey, 20 years of making a living in a very difficult industry. I know your business has come to an end but I still feel as though what you have done is a huge accomplishment!

So it is time for a new chapter. :)

Most are off-the-shelf.  Others can be ordered.  And a couple have been discontinued.  While we couldn't control it when a company discontinues a given driver, we tried to select drivers that had a long shelf life.  For example, we used the Seas W18 from the very beginning and they are still being manufactured today. In that regard, it has paid off using the very best drivers we could identify for a given design.  The better the driver, the longer it will tend to be in production.

Thanks for the kind words.  Much appreciated.

- Jim

zilob55

« Reply #44 on: 24 Aug 2023, 11:11 am »
I just came across this thread and am so disappointed to see Salk Signature Sound winding down (happy for Jim and Mary, though on starting a new chapter!).

As a proud owner of a pair of excellent Song3 BeATs purchased in 2019, I feel honored to be part of the Salk family. When I cobbled enough funds together to purchase them, it was such an exciting moment. They were my first pair of truly high end speakers and I still love them today.

More importantly, I have to share the story of when I picked them up from the shop in Pontiac. Since I live only about 15 miles from Pontiac, I was so happy to pick them up myself that I brought my then 13 year old son. He is about as far from a budding audio fan as there can be but I wanted him to meet Jim. Upon arriving at the shop, we were greeted by Mary who quickly turned us over to Jim to give an extensive tour of the shop.

Jim shared stories about most of his employees and how he was proud of the chances he gave some of these folks…many of which had been with him for some time. He took the time to explain the machines to my son, the production process, challenges, etc. Jim also shared stories about his love of tennis and imparted on my son so many positive life lessons in a very short time. The time he spent with my son and I is something that we will cherish forever. I feel it’s a universal sense of joy when someone other than a parent imparts positive guidance and anecdotes to our children. Hearing a man with so many life experiences really underscored that my hard-earned dollars were going to good people. Not just another speaker company.

We finished our tour with Jim and Mary meeting us at the loading dock to oversee the loading of my new speakers into my vehicle. I recall them standing on the dock as we pulled away completing what was a very memorable moment for me in this hobby. Similar to that feeling one gets when leaving a holiday party while the remaining attendees wave as you drive away…

Jim and Mary - Your legacy will live on in many listening (and living) rooms across the globe. Thank you for all you have done and I wish you nothing but the best!

JDoyle

« Reply #45 on: 24 Aug 2023, 12:46 pm »
I just came across this thread and am so disappointed to see Salk Signature Sound winding down (happy for Jim and Mary, though on starting a new chapter!).

As a proud owner of a pair of excellent Song3 BeATs purchased in 2019, I feel honored to be part of the Salk family. When I cobbled enough funds together to purchase them, it was such an exciting moment. They were my first pair of truly high end speakers and I still love them today.

More importantly, I have to share the story of when I picked them up from the shop in Pontiac. Since I live only about 15 miles from Pontiac, I was so happy to pick them up myself that I brought my then 13 year old son. He is about as far from a budding audio fan as there can be but I wanted him to meet Jim. Upon arriving at the shop, we were greeted by Mary who quickly turned us over to Jim to give an extensive tour of the shop.

Jim shared stories about most of his employees and how he was proud of the chances he gave some of these folks…many of which had been with him for some time. He took the time to explain the machines to my son, the production process, challenges, etc. Jim also shared stories about his love of tennis and imparted on my son so many positive life lessons in a very short time. The time he spent with my son and I is something that we will cherish forever. I feel it’s a universal sense of joy when someone other than a parent imparts positive guidance and anecdotes to our children. Hearing a man with so many life experiences really underscored that my hard-earned dollars were going to good people. Not just another speaker company.

We finished our tour with Jim and Mary meeting us at the loading dock to oversee the loading of my new speakers into my vehicle. I recall them standing on the dock as we pulled away completing what was a very memorable moment for me in this hobby. Similar to that feeling one gets when leaving a holiday party while the remaining attendees wave as you drive away…

Jim and Mary - Your legacy will live on in many listening (and living) rooms across the globe. Thank you for all you have done and I wish you nothing but the best!

Excellent post, exactly my feelings too.  :thumb:

rowdyrobot

« Reply #46 on: 25 Aug 2023, 01:18 am »
Great post. My Song3-A - also my first pair of actual high end speakers - arrived last December and I listen to them every day. Really love them and never going to part with them. I didn’t have the good fortune to meet Jim in person.

rmdtexas

« Reply #47 on: 25 Aug 2023, 05:22 pm »
Completely agree with the posts above. After my beloved Magnepans died, I was intrigued by what I had read about Salks and emailed Jim.  He asked what i liked about the Maggie's and other speakers and pointed me to the Song BeATs over the Song Encores as he thought i would prefer the less expensive BeATs more.

I have enjoyed the BeATs for four years now without any regrets.

Boybees

« Reply #48 on: 26 Aug 2023, 12:50 am »

You describe here the very same Jim that I've been fortunate to know, from a different perspective.

ratso

« Reply #49 on: 3 Sep 2023, 03:30 pm »
any ideas what will happen with the circle here?

Rshorb

« Reply #50 on: 4 Sep 2023, 05:34 am »
My guess it will stay open, just like the web site.

ermd1

« Reply #51 on: 17 Sep 2023, 10:08 pm »
I picked up a pair of SS9.5's with diamond tweeters off Ebay for significantly discounted price since lightly used.
Jim did demo a pair of these for us when we visited him in 2020 prior to purchasing SS9.5's with the diamond tweeters.  I wonder how many pair he actually produced with the diamond tweeters.  At any rate, am very excited to get these.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2023, 09:10 pm by ermd1 »

Rshorb

« Reply #52 on: 22 Sep 2023, 08:12 am »
I think they were the only set made with them.

rlee8394

« Reply #53 on: 30 Sep 2023, 07:34 pm »
Jim,

If you don’t mind a suggestion, I think it would be great for you to go the route that John Broskie did. Setup your web site to discuss all things speaker related. Topics to include, but not limited to are:
Speaker construction techniques
Finishing techniques
Speaker veneering
Crossover building
Driver selection
Speaker plans

You could even set up a YouTube channel instead of going the web route. Offer a Patreon subscription
for even more content, sales, etc. This would mate well with your desire to get away from “running the business” and allow you to concentrate on the fun aspects of speaker building. Do live streams with your supporters for feedback on their builds.

I for one would love to support such an effort and I’m sure many of your followers would as well.
Anyway, just my two cents worth.
Good luck on whatever you and Mary decide.

Ron

rick240

« Reply #54 on: 25 Feb 2024, 06:16 pm »
Hi Jim,

Was just thinking about getting a new sub and saw the news that you had retired.

Sad news for audiophiles, but best of luck in the next stage of your life.

It was fun working with you to create the WOW1 - I enjoy them daily.

Cheers,

Rick

Caustic Casey

• "All government, of course, is against liberty.."
    • causticcasey.com
« Reply #55 on: 9 Mar 2024, 11:53 pm »
Jim,
A pleasure and proud owner of a system that brings a smile every time I fire it all up.
Audio on, Jim.

kingcrowing

« Reply #56 on: 26 Mar 2024, 08:11 pm »
Wow, what news to stumble upon!

I ordered my Supercharged SongTowers, SongCenter, and F12 Sub all in Koa wood from Jim during the pandemic and listen to them daily, they work just as happily with my vinyl as they do watching movies or playing videogames. SO happy I was able to get a set while I could.

Thanks for all you've done Jim and good luck with whatever comes next!