NOH Pre-amp

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
NOH Pre-amp
« on: 23 Aug 2003, 06:27 pm »
Hello!

NOH has been around for a few months now but I did not want to announce it until I had pics and updates on my web page - which I finally have done.  

NOH is a single box stereo pre-amp. The circuit's and parts are the same high quality parts as the model TX102 pre-amps including the custom made TX102's with OCC wiring and the top of the line model 45SG seiden switch. Like the model 102 pre-amp NOH is availiable in kit form. Here is some info about NOH:

1- The NOH case looks better - at least I think it does. It's low profile (2" at the front and 3" at the back. Construction is non magnetic brushed stainless steel and black 0.5" thick acrylic. There is a stainless steel top (soon to have a black acrylic cover option that looks very nice too!). Marking is laser engraving on the stainless steel.

2- Knobs are custom machined  and, when the remote control is used, there is a cool blue led inside the level control knob. This can be set to be on all the time or to go out after about 10 sec after the last remote command (for darkened rooms or theaters).  I like to listen in the dark and bright lights and displays are a pet peeve of mine....

3- The remote installed much easier. The remote for the Model 102 was added long after the case was designed and patched into the existing design. It was a bit of a bear to install. Adding remote to the NOH is easy and fast.

4- There is now provision for a switched tape/headphone output.

5- There are provisions for dual RCA and dual XLR outputs. Inputs are 4 RCA's and 2 XLR's. One or both of the XLR inputs can be RCA inputs as an option.

6- The NOH case was designed to neatly accomodate the LO410 output transformers for customers wanting to use the XLR out and the RCA output at the same time. This is usually to run XLR output to your amp and RCA out to a sub.

7- Did I mention it looks better than the old case....

Please post or send any questions or suggestions!

Many Thanks!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

Marbles

NOH Pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2003, 07:02 pm »
John,

Is it very easy to get the new NOH case and move the guts of the TX102s pre into the NOH case, including remote?

Do you have prices for this new case?

What does NOH stand for?

Thanks

JACK WILLIAMS

Re: NOH Pre-amp
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2003, 08:20 pm »
Quote from: John Chapman
Hello!

NOH has been around for a few months now but I did not want to announce it until I had pics and updates on my web page - which I finally have done.  

NOH is a single box stereo pre-amp. The circuit's and parts are the same high quality parts as the model TX102 pre-amps including the custom made TX102's with OCC wiring and the top of the line model 45SG seiden switch. Like the model 102 pre-amp NOH is availiable in kit form. Here is some info about NOH:

1- The NOH case looks better - at least ...
:D

JACK WILLIAMS

NOH Pre-amp
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2003, 08:24 pm »
Hi John !!!

The new case looks mighty good and I especially like the stainless steel.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
NOH Pre-amp
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2003, 08:51 pm »
Jack,

Thanks for the thumbs up!

Marbles,

All the parts used are the same and can be refit to the case. You would for sure need to re-do some connections but the bulk of the wiring (like the TX102 to the Seiden switch) could stay connected. This is good because it'd be a bugger to unsolder and re-wire that switch! The price of the case and wire and solder, etc is $180.00 and the new custom made knobs are $25.00 each. The remote could be fit to the case as well since the same pulleys and belts are used. The 2 input version with toggles (rather than rotary knobs) for source selection is not shown yet on the page. I will add a pic when I build the next one of that style.

Just click on 'NOH' at the top of the NOH page to see about the name. Also I liked the idea of charging big bucks for"NOH Preamp".

Many Thansk!

John

Hantra

NOH Pre-amp
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2003, 03:40 am »
John:

Last night, I had the good fortune to hear the Arthur Loesch designed TAG Model One preamplifier.  I must say that's the single best preamplifier I have ever heard in my life!  If I could scrape together the money, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, I can't spend that kind of money, and stay married, so I
need to find something that gives me a bit of that sound.  

Thorsten, who is very familiar with Arthur's design, told me he thought the 102 based pre was better.  I'm not sure I have anything to lose by trying it.  Dr. Loesch's pre had this eerily natural decay, and just sounded almost haunting.  I won't soon forget that experience.  

I have heard many people speak highly of the Bent as well, and I like the price of the NOH a little better than the full blown TAP.

I am curious to know if the remote on the NOH degrades the sound quality at all.

Thanks,

B

John Chapman

• Facilitator
NOH Pre-amp
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2003, 04:29 pm »
Hantra,

Thanks for the interest in our stuff. I'd say that weather or not you'd prefer a TX102 based design to a different good quality pre-amp most often comes down to your personal preference. The TAP uses relays to select levels and the NOH uses the very high quality Seiden switch. The NOH should in fact be a bit better as that switch is better than any relay but the fact that the singnal path is very short in the NOH makes the performance of the two units very very close.  The only reason to go with the TAP is if you need more channels (which gets expensive until the 4 channel board Active is done...) or if you really want the cool looking controller (which a few folks have wanted).

Many Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

Marbles

NOH Pre-amp
« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2003, 05:18 pm »
The remote on the TX102 or NOH is not in the signal path and in no way impacts the sound as it's a mechanical motor that turns the seiden switch via a band.

flintstone

NOH
« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2003, 12:19 pm »
Can we send our Tx102 in for a case swap? or is it so easy that anyone can make the swap. Mine is 1 xlr and 1 rca input/1 xlr and one rca output.  I love the unit in my system but always thought it looked a little out of place cosmetically.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
NOH Pre-amp
« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2003, 04:53 pm »
Hello!

The NOH case was designed using the same basic parts so that a swap would be possible. To do the case swap will very likely require some soldering and re-wiring - the XLR connectors for sure. If that is not a problem then it will not be hard to do the swap. I would think it may take 1-2 hours with the fiddling around, etc...

If you want to have me to the swap then just e-mail and we'll set something up.

Many Thanks!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

flintstone

NOH
« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2003, 07:23 pm »
Thanks John, I'll get with you not to far down the road to do the switch. I am doing a speaker change first. Keep up the good work.

Dave

teachersrus2

Re: NOH Pre-amp
« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2003, 07:02 pm »
1- The NOH case looks better - at least ...[/quote]

:D

All the way from the UK... I saw a brief report on building a passive pre and contacted John direct. I admit at first with a little trepidation (anyone remember the first Sonic Frontiers kits?) However the immediate response, helpful tone and absolute "can do" attitude completely swayed me. Within hours we were sorted boxed and travelling

Now I have had some equipment in the 20 years or so I have been in Hi Fi (I used to be a dealer!) but I can assure you that not only did the WBFH love the case and style,,,,, but the sound... oh the sound... The little beauty had just austed a SP10 and an SP11 mk11 - both legends without any effort whatsoever and slotted into my pig system (art 1 phono, V140 ARC VTM120 SE etc - Sonus Faber Extrema - need I say more...) and has blowm me away on vinyl and CD - and all my mates....

Transparent, tonal colour, smooth, gain, flexible, REMOTE, PRETTY, Nuff Said....

Order for MC step up coming up - along with another two orders from the UK

John - if you need a dealer over here ---- let me know..

Special and a pleasure to deal with...

Dont hesitate folks - this is the best kept secret I have ever come across... :D

Dr Graham

John Chapman

• Facilitator
NOH Pre-amp
« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2003, 08:49 pm »
Hello!

You'd almost think that you like it..... Glad you are having fun with it and thanks for the feedback!

John