PS3 games!

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
PS3 games!
« on: 1 Jan 2009, 01:49 am »
I now have a few games for the PS3!

LittleBigPlanet - supposed to be one of the best, a very creative rag-doll character moves througfh levels with great sound and graphics. You create everything - the rag-doll, the levels (if you want to) and you can play other peoples levels. I hear there is going to be some FPS play with this game!

This game looks great but I have not spent much time at all - it takes some commitment and there is learning - great for the whole family though. So I will play it in the next few weeks an do a mioni-review.

QBert - a a $5 download arcade classic tha has moved to just about avery platform - looks exactly like the original except better graphics and no greasy jpystick in a dark stinky arcade.

Pain - this is a must have for the PS3. A $10 online download also, with a teenage skateboarder point of view but it is hilarious (Carmagedon with much better graphics and sound). You catapult the character and try to inflict pain and damage. It is so sick it is funny, and the physics is pretty amazing for a cartoony game. There is some learning to do as in all good games and it looks like it will be great for a quick 30 minute session.

WipEoutHD - a $20 futuristic racing game with soundtracks - very slick graphics - have not played it yet but have looked at it. A 1GB download plus a 300GB update, so connect with the cable for this download!

Anyone played these games?
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2009, 07:58 pm by jqp »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: PS3 games!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2009, 12:39 pm »
My son has Little Big Planet ("Turd with a zipper" as I call the main character).
I've not played it, but I've logged a few hours sitting at my PC chair watching over his shoulder as he plays on my HT system.
It actually a very impressive game. The brain power, reasoning, and thought process required to advance your personal "Little Planet" is astounding. I just got the PS3 online and he's not played it since, but I have nothing but the highest expectation this will be even more fascinating to watch (for me) and to play (for him). Although, from what I've seen so far, it doesn't appear to be something most adults would be interested in, but this is coming from a gamer that prefers to either be shooting somebody or driving a racecar. Not really comparable with the peaceful life of little "Sackman" as he constructs his domain.
Audio and Video quality is very good, but that is to be expected on a PS3 platform.

Bob

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:26 pm »
I just purchased the PS3 in December, and the first two games I got were Little Big Planet and Resistance.  I am dissapointed with both games.  Both were really highly rated, and both are just not involving game play wise.  I played it with my gf for a few days and couldn't play past the hour mark. 

Conversely, I can play free flash games on the PC for hours.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:33 pm »
The only PS3 I have is "Conflict denied". As FPS (First person shooter) go, it's pretty good.
But agreed, "Turd with a Zipper".......um......"Little Big Planet" I mean, is very cool for kids. That's about it.
Although, my 10 year old has already grown tired of it.  He'd rather shoot people and blow stuff up.

$60............in..........the............toilet............. :duh:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:54 pm »
Oops.

pjchappy

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2009, 11:07 pm »
Any suggesting for any new(er) PS3 games?

I tend to like games w/ as much of a realistic engine as possible.  I plan on buying NHL '09 (EA) in a couple days and may pick up EA's NBA '09.

I recently bought the latest Metal Gear.  It looked good and got good reviews.  I've enjoyed, but not as much as I thought I would.  I find the AI too stupid at times.  There are plenty of FPS games w/ better AI.  That would be my major complaint.  I dig the Tom Clancy Rainbow games.  Was hoping the realism was more along those lines.

Anyways, any tips on some good, new FPS.  Also, what do you all think fo the NHL and NBA games?

Thanks!

Paul

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2009, 11:21 pm »
I just haven't been playing games these last few months. The $10 game Pain does not have a realistic engine, but it is a consistent engine for that universe (it reminds me of the old Carmageddon engine from back when I played a few games on PC). It can be really entertaining and is a good demo game for the PS3. It's good for those times you are waiting for someone/something to happen.

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2009, 11:32 pm »
As far as FPS, I really enjoy call of duty 4 modern warfare. I have played this for hours and hours and never get bored. -Although it would be nice to get some more maps.

I haven't tried the new "world at war" so not sure about that -I didn't wanted to go low tech, but attack dogs and flamethrowers sure are an interesting wrinkle to the FPS genre!

-Tony

ratso

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2009, 11:45 pm »
killzone 2 is great.

rave959

« Reply #9 on: 16 Mar 2009, 02:32 am »
I bought Street Fighter IV when it came out, and it is my first game for PS3.  Though, I haven't played it much due to school and work, it seems like the best version yet.  But if I could get my money back, I'd probably buy Killzone 2, Resistance 2, or Metal Gear Solid 4(not sure?). 

:)
ian

pjchappy

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2009, 04:33 am »
I ended up buying NHL '09 and NBA '09 (both EA Sports) today.  Almost bought FIFA '09, too. 

Have played NBA '09 for a couple hours today.  Pretty fun.  Amazing graphics, too!

It's funny. . .I rarely watch any sports, but sports video games are my favorite games. 

SharkyRivethead

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2009, 06:34 am »
 KZ2 is by far the best to come out on the PS3 IMO. The game play is not for everyone. It's on the sluggish side, but it was intended to be that way. GG wanted the players to feel like you had 75 lbs of gear and a heavy gun to tote. It's not twitchy like COD4-5.