6 Moons Review

8thnerve

6 Moons Review
« on: 5 Apr 2005, 08:43 pm »
A big thanks to 6 Moons and David Abramson for the fantastic review!

See it here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/8nerve/8nerve.html

jermmd

6 Moons Review
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2005, 11:46 pm »
Conratulations, nice review.  I do have to wonder about the author though. A self described metrosexual neurosurgeon from Long Island who is now practicing psychiatry in Arkansas!  And an audio reviewer to boot. Wow, I can't wait for the movie. :lol:

Seriously though, the article confirms what everyone has been saying about 8th Nerve products and room treatments in general.  These aren't the new products you're offering, are they?

Joe M.

8thnerve

6 Moons Review
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2005, 03:16 am »
Quote from: jermmd
Conratulations, nice review.  I do have to wonder about the author though. A self described metrosexual neurosurgeon from Long Island who is now pacticing psychiatry in Arkansas!  And an audio reviewer to boot. Wow, I can't wait for the movie. :lol:

Seriously though, the article confirms what everyone has been saying about 8th Nerve products and room treatments in general.  These aren't the new products you're offering, are they?

Joe M.

Thanks!  The products under review are our current Response products, specifically, the Seams and Corners.  We are excited that our budget products got such a great review.  The new products are even better, and not by a small margin.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
6 Moons Review
« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2005, 03:17 am »
What is the ETA for the new products?

You have been promising this new line for quite some time...

George

Buck Naked

6 Moons Review
« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2005, 03:21 am »
Please enlighten some of us on what 'metrosexual" exactly means :mrgreen:

8thnerve

6 Moons Review
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2005, 03:34 am »
Quote from: zybar
What is the ETA for the new products?

You have been promising this new line for quite some time...

George

Within the month for sure, but I think we will be shipping within the next week or so.  Certain products are already being boxed at the factory.

I realize it has been quite a while, but things happen during the process that slow it down, sometimes to a crawl. :x

It will still be worth the wait though!

jermmd

6 Moons Review
« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2005, 03:41 am »
Quote from: Buck Naked

metrosexual  (met.roh.SEK.shoo.ul) n. An urban male with a strong aesthetic sense who spends a great deal of time and money on his appearance and lifestyle.
http://www.wordspy.com/words/metrosexual.asp

Joe M.

8thnerve

6 Moons Review
« Reply #7 on: 6 Apr 2005, 11:49 am »
Quote from: Buck Naked

And originally made famous by 'sex and the city' before 'queer eye for the straight guy'.

But thanks to David for telling it how it is.  It was a great opportunity to put this product up in a room that was essentially bare plaster walls with a hardwood floor, one of the toughest rooms to tame regarding echo and reverb.  With just 10 little products with a retail of $500 total, not only did the echo dissapear, but without deadening the sound at all, and improving the sound in every other parameter.  Imagine what you can get for $500 from any other acoustic manufacturer...

And my biggest thanks goes out to our customers.  You all are the only reason that there is any ink about our proudcts at all.  If it were not for your recommendations and support, people wouldn't know about these products.  So I thank you.

Warmest Regards,

Nathan Loyer
Eighth Nerve

drystream

6 Moons Review
« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2005, 02:27 pm »
First of all, congratulations on the 'best of show' award by 6moons.  I'm ready to try some different room treatments and have been checking your web site frequently for your new products (hint, hint).

The review in 6moons is also probably helpful from an advertising perspective, and it is certainly enthusiastic.  In fact, I'm reminded of a friend's Lab puppy when I read it--lots of sqirming and bouncing around and joyous barking (woof, woof!!!).

It kind of has the amateur tone of a college freshman writing home to a friend about the wonders of campus life and all the new-found freedoms found there.  [This same slightly amateurish tone is common to many online reviews, however, so is not a surprise here.]  Not what you expect from a mature former neurosurgeon (maybe he was a child prodigy?).

The part of the review about speaker setup was interesting.  The assertion that +/- 1 mm in speaker placement can make a big difference may be true in certain ideal situations.  However, in the pictured room one speaker is near a corner and the other is next to an open doorway, and this aspect of setup was completely ignored.  The over-the-top description of the results of the exacting process of speaker placement is just too much to believe.  One also has to note the large glass-topped coffee table that occupies center stage and has to wonder about its effects on room sonics.

Anyhow, we're all looking forward to the new stuff (could you post a price-list now?).

8thnerve

6 Moons Review
« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2005, 11:06 pm »
Quote from: drystream
The part of the review about speaker setup was interesting. The assertion that +/- 1 mm in speaker placement can make a big difference may be true in certain ideal situations. However, in the pictured room one speaker is near a corner and the other is next to an open doorway, and this aspect of setup was completely ignored. The over-the-top description of the results of the exacting process of speaker placement is just too much to believe. One also has to note the large glass-topped coffee table that occupies center stage and has to wonder about its effects on room sonics.

No aspects of the setup were ignored.  The best placement for a given set of speakers in a given room is not always cut and dried.  In this room, there is also another open doorway on the rear of the left wall, so the location of the speakers was actually ideal.  However, the difference that can be obtained by using these methods will ALWAYS make a large positive improvement, regardless of the setup.  Don't knock it until you try it.

The distance from the side walls and the coffee table are actually lesser evils than differences in distances for the most important primary wave fronts.  David was standing 3 feet to the left of the sweet spot (standing!) when I hit play after adjusting his speakers (the only change was to his left speaker to a degree of about 4 centimeters) and his mouth dropped open and his eyes went wide.

This process does not take into consideration anything but the distances between you and the speakers.  The distances from the speakers to the walls are not a sufficiently accurate method for setting up your speakers.  You can use this method to place them roughly while you find the best spots for bass response, but you should follow up with this type of placement technique afterwards to achieve an accurate placement of your speakers.

Thank you for you kind congratulations!

The new Adapt line will be priced at $150 per Rectangle piece, and $100 per Triangle piece, and will start rolling out over the next few weeks.