TIDAL IS HERE

wushuliu

Re: TIDAL IS HERE
« Reply #60 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:16 am »
I guess I don't tend to trust these companies after what Netflix pulled with their reworked pricing structure a while back. I actually cancelled for a year after that move (purely on principle--I could afford it). Not that they cared.

Maybe I'm the only one who actually follows updates on Netflix but Netflix announced the rate increases were coming months in advance.

On the one hand I definitely agree with the 'temporary content' argument but on the other hand some people have entire walls filled with CDs and/or vinyl. A service like TIDAL definitely offers some convenience in a hobby that tends towards accumulation.

First world problems...

wushuliu

« Reply #61 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:20 am »
Oh and trying out TIDAL right now. VERY impressed. Of course it's not going to replace my collection. And I wouldn't want it to. If 20/mo gets to be not worth it, well, just cancel. It's not like a Columbia House record club...

yyz67

« Reply #62 on: 16 Dec 2014, 06:40 am »
First world problems...

True dat.

It's not like a Columbia House record club...

Woah, thanks for the memories. As a kid that it was rad getting so many albums for free (never mind the after effects).

lextek

« Reply #63 on: 16 Dec 2014, 10:26 am »
Ah Columbia House.  First albums then CDs.  When was the last year for them?  I've been enjoying Tidal for discovery.

steve in jersey

« Reply #64 on: 16 Dec 2014, 04:04 pm »
Anyone know if Cambridge Audio players will be supported ?

yyz67

« Reply #65 on: 16 Dec 2014, 05:35 pm »
Ah Columbia House.  [...] When was the last year for them?  [...]

Interesting article: http://thephoenix.com/boston/music/129722-rise-and-fall-of-the-columbia-house-record-clu/

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #66 on: 21 Feb 2015, 02:41 am »
Thought I'd revive this as I see there's another thread asking about it, and thought it'd be best to concentrate here.

So despite my reluctance about the $20 per month, I did sign up for this service and haven't cancelled yet.  As I said before : if they did an ANNUAL subscription at a discounted rate, I think it would lock me - and many other music lover who want better sound. Mentioned this to a Tidal rep at CES though no immediate response.

Pros / Cons so far :

Pro's :

- Strong and wide selection
- The convenience - no file / IT management etc.  This is really a BIG plus for me vs storing / managing my own files and IT gear (have a LOT of music / devices)
- Excellent sound quality noticeably better than Spotify / Pandora / etc.
- Strong value for the $ even @ $20 a month (compare vs buying even used cds / lps)
- Can work even on legacy systems : i.e. squeezebox.  I even managed to get it to work on a NAS (WD MyCloud) as that has logitech media server and you can load ickstream, which in turn allows you to add Tidal, Deezer, Qobuz, etc).  Not super simple to install, but if you can read & follow directions carefully, it will work and quite well
- More and more devices support it : i.e Sonos, Bluesound, Auralic Aries, Aurrender (beta, but perhaps the best integration I've seen so far).

Con's :

- I find the interface on the web browser and iPad / iPhone could be better (Aurrender GUI despite being beta is very good)
- Search sometimes doesn't find things it should.  E.g. when I search "Nils Lofgren" under artist, nothing comes up, but I can find his "Acoustic Live" album.  Which doesn't make sense.  Found a similar problem & solution w/ Alison Krauss. 
- I've read that not all songs stream @ cd quality - some stream at lower quality.  There isn't as far as I can see some ready and easy visual indicator if the specific stream is cd quality or not
- No payment plans other than monthly

Despite these criticisms, this to me is still the future.  If I didn't already have a very large music collection and was just starting (or had a small music collection), TIDAL or similar cd quality streaming service would be a no-brainer.  Considering what things cost these days - even a crappy lossy album from iTunes / Amazon etc at $5-$10 minimum - $20 or so a month is a bargain.  Yes, I suppose you could be a real cheapskate and buy used CD's, rip em, and then, ahem, sell / trade em in.  But at least for me honestly as a music discovery tool, and on the flip side not getting stuck with a lame purchased album, as well as having it all on demand on multiple devices without having to rip / store / manage etc, Tidal and whatever else comparably that may come out, is really the way to go.

OzarkTom

« Reply #67 on: 21 Feb 2015, 02:53 am »
It will be interesting when Tidal starts streaming MQA this year.

jaylevine

« Reply #68 on: 23 Feb 2015, 02:13 am »
Signed up for the Tidal trial today--have been listening most of the afternoon on my headphones and it sounds great (streaming though a SONOS into my Bryston DAC).

Since i have a small music collection built mostly on ripped used CDs, and my musical tastes run to a fairly narrow spectrum of jazz and classical, Tidal is the way to go for me at this point...will be putting my late model 2012 Mac Mini with a fresh copy of Audirvana Plus on the market soon.....