Dark Side of the Moon played over Wizard of Oz

stlrman

Dark Side of the Moon played over Wizard of Oz
« on: 14 Jan 2020, 02:51 am »
Ever heard about this ???
We are going to a sold out showing in Omnimax theater.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

Stu Pitt

Re: Dark Side of the Moon played over Wizard of Oz
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2020, 03:44 am »
Not be that guy, but I’m 43 and heard about this no later than 7th grade; so a good 30 years ago. And I’m pretty sure people were talking about it quite a few years before I heard about it. The album was released in ‘73. I don’t think it was very long until people made the connection.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2020, 04:20 am »
It's news to me. I had no idea this existed.

Follow up with your impressions, please.

:popcorn:

Stu pitt,

I must have been 29 when you were in 7th grade, which would put me in China studying Mandarin immediately after the TianAnMen Incident. Little House on the Prairie (in Mandarin) was hugely popular back then.

mix4fix

• Facilitator
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2020, 05:12 am »
It was one of those urban legends I heard about when I was a kid. Can't believe someone is trying to profit with it.

My question is: who decided to play Pink Floyd while watching Wizard of Oz?

undertowogt1

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2020, 05:43 am »
This wouldn't be news to 98 percent of Floyd fans. totally worth watching. It has been playing in Toronto continuously for years and people have been profiting from it, nothing new. Smoke a big joint before you watch and you will not be disappointed.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2020, 05:54 am »
I would prefer to see More or La Vallée.

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2020, 09:30 am »
Apparently, you can do it yourself. I've heard that you set DSOM on repeat and you simply start playing it when the MGM lion roars.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2020, 10:42 am »
And then there’s also this, not the same thing I know but still:

Darkside, A Play for Radio by Tom Stoppard, Incorporating The Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd

Produced in collaboration with Sir Tom Stoppard s publishers Faber and Faber, the luxury package resembles a hard-backed book, including a CD carrying the 54-minute play, which includes the majority of The Dark Side of the Moon album, plus a 56-page bound insert of the play s script.

"Darkside" is an abstract and compelling drama which follows Emily, a philosophy student, through a series of thought experiments, which are vividly brought to life. The play also ranges over a series of grand themes, which are both thought provoking and laced with Stoppard s characteristic wit and humour. The cast is impressive, with Bill Nighy as Dr Antrobus/the Witch Finder, Rufus Sewell is Mr Baggott/Ethics Man, Adrian Scarborough is Fat Man and Emily is Amaka Okafor.

David Gilmour: "I found the script of Tom s play fascinating; I can t think of a better way to celebrate The Dark Side of The Moon s 40 year anniversary."

Nick Mason: "I love it. If anyone is going to mess with the crown jewel of albums, Tom is a very good choice. "

The Dark Side Of The Moon remained in the charts for 741 weeks from 1973 to 1988. With an estimated 50 million copies sold, it is Pink Floyd s most commercially successful album and is frequently ranked as one of the greatest albums of all time.

mhconley

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2020, 04:29 pm »
Google Dark Side of the Rainbow. Streaming and downloadable versions are easy to find.

These are instructions on DIY and interesting observations about the mashup: https://www.goldminemag.com/features/how-to-view-the-wizard-of-oz-with-dark-side-of-the-moon

It’s really good using Alan Parsons’ quad mix or one of the newer surround sound remasters.

Martin

wushuliu

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2020, 06:12 pm »
Echoes to 2001 starting at the Jupiter sequence is also pretty amazing.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2020, 08:43 pm »
It's news to me. I had no idea this existed.

Follow up with your impressions, please.

:popcorn:

Stu pitt,

I must have been 29 when you were in 7th grade, which would put me in China studying Mandarin immediately after the TianAnMen Incident. Little House on the Prairie (in Mandarin) was hugely popular back then.
My siblings loved Little House on the Prairie. I despised it. My 9 year old started watching it because her teacher played a few episodes as part of teaching history. I still despise it. No idea why; my feelings toward it are admittedly irrational. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2020, 10:30 pm »
Heard about this many (many) years ago. I can remember the first time I tried to sync it up in great anticipation.

Meh.

And I'm a pretty big Fan of the Floyd, as well as the Movie. Meh.

A few interesting times things match up here and there, but only a few. Most of the time there is a major, impactful moment in the Album or the Movie, it does not coincide with the other.

wushuliu

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2020, 12:37 am »
Heard about this many (many) years ago. I can remember the first time I tried to sync it up in great anticipation.

Meh.

And I'm a pretty big Fan of the Floyd, as well as the Movie. Meh.

A few interesting times things match up here and there, but only a few. Most of the time there is a major, impactful moment in the Album or the Movie, it does not coincide with the other.

Yeah, it's a little hit or miss. The Echoes to 2001 was a much much better match IIRC.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jan 2020, 03:01 am »
I had a housemate in college who made a compilation tape (remember vhs?) of fight scenes and other cool scenes from all the Bruce Lee movies. He’d crank Beastie Boys tapes while watching it, under the influence of a lot of green stuff. Me not being stoned, it was still really cool. They went together great, regardless of the scene and song. I’m sure it was better for him, but beer did me just fine. Wu-Tang Clan and Bruce Lee would’ve probably worked well too, but we didn’t think of it.

IMO far better than the Wizard of Oz/DSOTM mashup, which we also did.

jriggy

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jan 2020, 03:26 am »
I remember doing the syncing with a VHS tape and CD back in the early ‘90’s. I remember to start the cd spinning at the end of the third roar of the MGM lion... Definitely some interesting parts

Also agree that the Echos / 2001 is better/more fun.

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2020, 05:51 pm »

Also agree that the Echos / 2001 is better/more fun.

So - when is the start point???

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 15 Jan 2020, 06:24 pm »
Party on, Garth

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jan 2020, 06:27 pm »
Wu-Tang Clan and Bruce Lee would’ve probably worked well too, but we didn’t think of it.

It's never too late

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jan 2020, 08:33 pm »
The most surprising thing about it is that this idea has had this much traction for so long.

I once tried to start a rumor that "syncing" Wish You Were Here with Close Encounters of the Third Kind yields a more interesting result. Never took off though, LOL.

I tend to appreciate these works much more for what they are on their own, FWIW.