Parasound Halo JC1 vs MEGAschino

Squatch

Parasound Halo JC1 vs MEGAschino
« on: 27 Jan 2018, 04:05 pm »
Hey guys,
Can anyone give me a breakdown comparison of these two amps? Parasound has a nice track record but the new MEGAschino sounds like a pretty well-received alternative. I realize a lot of this is personal perception, but I don’t really have a great way to get my ears on either of these. Just starting to build my new rig and would like some input before I pull the trigger.

OzarkTom

Re: Parasound Halo JC1 vs MEGAschino
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2018, 10:25 pm »
I heard some modded JC-1's on YG speakers and the sound was so razor sharp I could not stay in the same room. I have never had that with Tommy's amps. Very smooth and musical.

PMAT

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2018, 02:40 am »
Unless you were listening to the same speakers on the maraschino that’s not a very valid comparison. I haven’t heard the maraschino but have heard the JC1’s. no sharpness like described with high end Ushers and Gamuts. I’m sure both amps are great.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2019, 01:30 am »
OK, comparing Cherry MEGA MONO to Parasound JC 1 Halo (discontinued).  Both are monoblocks....

Power Output, continuous into 4Ω load
    Parasound: 800W
    Cherry: 900W

THD+N, 10W into 8Ω
    Parasound: <0.15%
    Cherry: 0.001%

SNR, A-weighted
    Parasound: 120dB
    Cherry: 120dB

Damping Factor
    Parasound: 1200 at 20Hz, not stated for rest of audio band
    Cherry: >400 at 0Hz-1kHz, >300 at 10kHz

Frequency Response
    Parasound: 2Hz to 120kHz (AC coupled)
    Cherry: 0Hz to 150kHz (DC coupled)

Input Impedance
    Parasound: 100k
    Cherry: 20k

Input Sensitivity
    Parasound: 2.2V (calculated)
    Cherry: 3.2V

Weight
    Parasound: 64 lbs
    Cherry: 42 lbs

Idle Power Consumption
    Parasound: 250W
    Cherry: 20W <-- more than 10x lower!

Sleep Mode Power Consumption:
    Parasound: no sleep mode
    Cherry: 8W

AC Fuse
    Parasound: 15A, 250VAC
    Cherry: none (15A circuit breaker)

johnto

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2019, 12:15 pm »
The stats are one thing but sound is what counts. I learned a long time ago not to go on manufacturers stats but trust your ears.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2019, 02:50 pm »
You forgot some other important stats for the JC1-

The first 25wpc are  Class A
135 peak amps

Class A does sound great and 135 peak amps will drive almost anything.

The JC1's have been a stereophile class A+ rating for years.  Great amps.  By the way, you will rarely leave class A power in normal listening.

I am sure that the DAC mono's sound excellent as well.

With that being said, specs aren't everything.  My Parasound A21 specs out better than my Pass X250 in most respects but it does not sound nearly as good.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2019, 03:13 pm »
You forgot some other important stats for the JC1-

The first 25wpc are  Class A
135 peak amps

Class A does sound great and 135 peak amps will drive almost anything.

The JC1's have been a stereophile class A+ rating for years.  Great amps.  By the way, you will rarely leave class A power in normal listening.

I am sure that the DAC mono's sound excellent as well.

With that being said, specs aren't everything.  My Parasound A21 specs out better than my Pass X250 in most respects but it does not sound nearly as good.
Yes!  It’s the sound that counts, and that’s where Cherry Amps shine!

Take a look at the reviews, mostly from customers:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127654.0

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2019, 03:53 pm »
Hey guys,
Can anyone give me a breakdown comparison of these two amps? Parasound has a nice track record but the new MEGAschino sounds like a pretty well-received alternative. I realize a lot of this is personal perception, but I don’t really have a great way to get my ears on either of these. Just starting to build my new rig and would like some input before I pull the trigger.

Specs are specs sound another matter. Get a Megaschino demo and listen. That easy and frankly the only way to know.

charles

audioengr

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2019, 06:02 pm »
I modded the JC-1's for many years and still offer the mods through another technician.  Without the mods, they are slow and soft on top.  Also, the slam is not as good.  I would expect a switching amp to be much faster out of the box.

The only question is bass control.  Pretty good on the JC-1's because the output impedance is so low.  I would compare these specs.  This aspect will be highly speaker dependent.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2019, 04:37 pm »
  Specs are specs sound another matter. Get a Megaschino demo and listen. That easy and frankly the only way to know.

charles
Thanks, Charles.  Steven Stone had some great things to say about the Cherry MEGA, which has been updated to MK2 (higher power efficiency and lower THD+N)....

“....the MEGAschino is definitely the most uncolored power amplifier I've ever heard. That doesn't mean it sounds sterile or lacking in complexity. No, what you get is music--straight, with no chaser, as Thelonious Monk would say.”

“....what's inside the MEGAschino is where the magic is.”

Link to this review:
https://hometheaterreview.com/digital-amplifier-company-megaschino-power-amplifier-reviewed/