CustomWide Super 3 HO XRS/Monitors

jmolsberg

CustomWide Super 3 HO XRS/Monitors
« on: 9 May 2018, 05:04 pm »
Hopefully Louis can chime in and give us more details on these beauties.
Maybe a regular offering in the near future?

roscoe65

Re: CustomWide Super 3 HO XRS/Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2018, 05:19 pm »
I'm not sure we need to add this to the standard lineup, since Louis is accommodating with custom products.  I'm of the opinion that the standard lineup is to give people something they can pick "off the shelf".  I'm sure Louis enjoys some labor and material savings by doing standard models, but it hasn't stopped him from exploring other configurations.

I own a pair of wide baffle original Super 3 Monitors with RS5 drivers retrofitted.  With single driver Omega speakers, I prefer the wide baffle to a narrow baffle.  I haven't experienced any downside from imaging or "disappearing" ability, but I does offered increased midrange and upper bass reinforcement.

I had a chance to compare the Super 3 Wide B baffle with the Super 3U (narrow baffle monitor, same cabinet volume as the Super 3XRS).  They were both great speakers, but the increased baffle width of the Super 3 almost completely offset the increased cabinet volume of the Super 3U.

Louis O

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2018, 11:54 am »
Hi jmolsberg,

Thanks and it's a custom I did because I like making customs and just as roscoe65, I'm really fond of wide baffle speakers. Both the sound and the look of them.

I'm so happy you also like the look of them.

The cabinet is a CAM which is a very similar version of my Original Super 3s I made years ago. I took the idea of the Super 3U /Super 5 monitor and offset the full range and put the lower driver on the diagonal and mirror imaged the pair. I liked this one so much I made an XRS version of it. The squarish grills look better on these too. The layout on the rear and port location is standard CAM.

The price is the same as the standard speakers and I would be happy to make more.

Thanks again,
Louis

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2018, 01:17 pm »
My friend Dave sure loves his driven by a DAC SMT integrated. This summer I hope to hear his sometime. :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2018, 06:08 pm »
Hi jmolsberg,

Thanks and it's a custom I did because I like making customs and just as roscoe65, I'm really fond of wide baffle speakers. Both the sound and the look of them.

I'm so happy you also like the look of them.

The cabinet is a CAM which is a very similar version of my Original Super 3s I made years ago. I took the idea of the Super 3U /Super 5 monitor and offset the full range and put the lower driver on the diagonal and mirror imaged the pair. I liked this one so much I made an XRS version of it. The squarish grills look better on these too. The layout on the rear and port location is standard CAM.

The price is the same as the standard speakers and I would be happy to make more.

Thanks again,
Louis

Do pics of these exist somewhere? I'd like to see them.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

RDavidson

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2018, 06:46 pm »
Very cool. Thank you.

guf

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2018, 09:52 pm »
Beginner question here. Can you take any speaker cabinet and place drivers on the wide side instead of the narrow side? I imagine it's more complicated than that but is the main variable that the volume is correct? Could my HO SAMs be super wide HO SAMs?

jmolsberg

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2018, 07:23 pm »
Louis is helpful and very patient... With that said, customwide super 3 ho xrs in natural walnut heading to Texas!
« Last Edit: 17 May 2018, 11:03 pm by jmolsberg »

todcp

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2018, 07:54 pm »
I have a pair as well.  Just set them up last week.  Very pleased and they are not broken in yet.  I am running them with a 7 wpc Elekit SET amp and way more than enough power for my small room. 

jmolsberg

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jun 2018, 07:59 pm »
I bet it is! Please keep us updated. And congrats