Picture Of The Day

ipy

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #560 on: 16 Jul 2008, 04:25 am »
Could you shed some light on the choosing of your Tokina 12-24 and your impressions of it?
I was tempted to get the Canon EF-S 10-22mm but decided on the Tokina 12-24mm based on the following:
1) Price is at least 20% lower
2) Based on reviews I have read, Lense quality between the 2 is similar.  IMO/E, this particular Tokina's is solidly built.  Perhaps I 'm lucky I have a good copy  :D
3) The Tokina is not as wide as Canon's 10mm but I understand it will still work with FF DSLRs for eg: with a Canon 5D from 18mm onwards.
And what tripod did you chose ipy?
I 'm using a Manfrotto 055PROB Tripod +
Manfrotto 488RC2 head

brj

« Reply #561 on: 16 Jul 2008, 02:51 pm »
Quote from: ooheadsoo
Do you have enough pixels to crop that second shot while retaining good resolution?  That would be great.

Yep!

That little guy can move!

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #562 on: 18 Jul 2008, 01:37 pm »
I got myself a new program here the other day. It's free. Called Paint.net. Sort of a more advanced version of paint.
So I made a test picture...
Seeing as I love math, I made a math image/snapshot. Actually it is a render.. but who cares...
My picture of the day:

No.1 :A Julia Fractal as Flaming flowers reflected off glass tiles...

If you look closely, you can see two sunflowers hidden in the Julia fractal patterns... :green:

No.2 :Then, this is a mandelbrot image. A Higly complex pattern.
I call it "man behind glass".

What all this is; Is math...  :thumb: cool eh?

Imperial
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2008, 09:47 pm by Imperial »

SET Man

« Reply #563 on: 24 Jul 2008, 02:20 am »
Hey!

Just uploaded some of the pictures I took while I was visiting my family in Thailand back in September 2006 on my Flickr.com space.

Some of you might have seen these before but if haven't see these yet than it is new to you. :D

I was there for about 2 weeks and didn't get to go anywhere much. It was all about being with family.

But here are some pictures....

At JFK airport NYC.

Are we there yet? The map showing the flight path and how far. If you wonder how long was the flight? Well, it was 17 hours nonstop from JFK, NYC to Bangkok, Thailand.

One of the most famous bridge of WWII "The Bridge Over the River Kwai"

A 11th century Khmer palace. In Ko Rat province of the Northeastern part of Thailand.

Yes, some local people still come here to worship this statue.  :bowdown:

After visiting the old Palace/temple we stop around there for some local cuisine Northeastern Thai style food.  :drool:

At the BKK. The Thai Airway plan that took me back from Bangkok to NYC. Sadly, Thai Airway no longer have direct flight from NYC to Bangkok now. The last direct flight was in June 2008. :cry:

Anyway, there are a few more if you want to see them just click on link here ...my Flickr.com.

Well, hope you enjoy them. I might go back to visit my family there again soon. And maybe this time I will get to go to more places. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #564 on: 24 Jul 2008, 03:51 am »
I really like those shots, Buddy, especially the bridge, palace, and food.  Was the camera on the ground for the wide bridge footpath shot or were you still holding it?

Here are some shots of a pair of kittens I spotted in a stranger's front yard:

groovybassist

« Reply #565 on: 24 Jul 2008, 05:31 am »
I've got the Tokina 12-24 for a Nikon mount.  Great lens!  Very sharp, very solidly built and half the price of the Nikon alternative.  I would wholeheartedly recommend it.  Enjoy!

-Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #566 on: 24 Jul 2008, 05:12 pm »
Last weekend I started a fire to burn yard waste and scrap lumber. After the fire was going nicely,I decided to hop on the riding mower and cut the grass. The sunset behind the trees and the smoke rising up through the suns rays made for a beautiful setting. I zipped back to the house to grab the D40 to snap a few photos. I left the settings on "auto" as I have no idea how to capture a good image when shooting into the sun and the foreground is comparatively much darker. The image doesn't do reality justice, but I thought I'd share;

SET Man

« Reply #567 on: 25 Jul 2008, 03:33 am »
I really like those shots, Buddy, especially the bridge, palace, and food.  Was the camera on the ground for the wide bridge footpath shot or were you still holding it?

Hey!

Thanks ooheadsoo. No, I didn't put the cam on the rail. I was holding it just above the rail. :D

When I was a kid growing up there there were no metal footpath in the middle of the rail. I remembered that I had to walk on those wooden railroad tiles one step at a time seeing the water below running below. Those tourists have it easy now. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

lazydays

« Reply #568 on: 25 Jul 2008, 03:43 pm »
Could you shed some light on the choosing of your Tokina 12-24 and your impressions of it?
I was tempted to get the Canon EF-S 10-22mm but decided on the Tokina 12-24mm based on the following:
1) Price is at least 20% lower
2) Based on reviews I have read, Lense quality between the 2 is similar.  IMO/E, this particular Tokina's is solidly built.  Perhaps I 'm lucky I have a good copy  :D
3) The Tokina is not as wide as Canon's 10mm but I understand it will still work with FF DSLRs for eg: with a Canon 5D from 18mm onwards.
And what tripod did you chose ipy?
I 'm using a Manfrotto 055PROB Tripod +
Manfrotto 488RC2 head

I've used to Tokina, Sigma, and the Nikon in the past at 12/24mm. I liked the Tokina the best, but got a deal on a Sigma (also liked it better than the Nikon) for $300 used with two shoots under it's belt. The one thing I liked about the Tokina over the Sigma was the filter setup. With the Sigma it's just a pain.
gary

JohnR

« Reply #569 on: 2 Aug 2008, 12:20 pm »
A baby Gecko, discovered on my driveway this morning after investigating the strangest hissing sound as I was getting my stuff into the car.

(It's a bit under 2" long, including the tail which you can't really see in this picture.)

Nikon D40, AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm

nathanm

« Reply #570 on: 2 Aug 2008, 02:42 pm »
Maybe it was trying to sell you car insurance?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #571 on: 2 Aug 2008, 03:25 pm »
Wow, that's fantastic.  I like how the baby lizards let you get close to them.

Levi

« Reply #572 on: 3 Aug 2008, 03:14 am »
That Gecko looks angry!   

I love those impromptu shots that shows emotions.

Levi

« Reply #573 on: 3 Aug 2008, 04:36 am »
I just want to share a good place to hang out.  Kind of ubiquitous as Starbucks is all over the World. 

ISO 1600  :green:

mjosef

« Reply #574 on: 3 Aug 2008, 06:05 am »
Is that the Starbucks on St Marks at Astor Place?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #575 on: 3 Aug 2008, 06:26 am »
What's the secret to finding great tone like that?  Can we see the color version?  Killer high iso capabilities, that camera.

Levi

« Reply #576 on: 3 Aug 2008, 12:33 pm »
That's at Aster Place.

Unfortunately, there are no color version as I used the in camera processing.  It is what it is. :)

nathanm

« Reply #577 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:14 am »

ooheadsoo

« Reply #578 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:21 am »
I really like it.  Are those your fists?

Levi

« Reply #579 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:25 am »
I like it as well.  Looks like a Kaleidoscope of leaves. :thumb: