Using a new 4k TV with a 1080P Surround Receiver for Audio Only.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
I tried to get a clear answer reading online but still not sure what it correct. I have a Sony 4k TV and a 5.2 receiver that will only process 1080P. But, the bottom line is I only want to take the HDMI output from the TV and send the audio to the receiver. I'm not trying to use any other 4k device and I don't need the 4k video anywhere other than the TV which it is getting from Utube TV.

In other words I just want to feed the surround receiver audio from the TV and have it play the sound through the surround speakers.

Reading online I get several different answers to this question with some saying it will work and some saying it won't.

I know I can use an extractor that will pull two channel out of the HDMI cable and run either digital audio via optical or analog via RCA but this won't give me 5.1 which is what I'm trying to do.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Greg

WGH

I do over-the-air TV with 5.1 surround into a processor with my Panasonic plasma so it should work with yours. Plug the TV to receiver HDMI cable into the correct plug on the back of the TV (there are 2 or more, only 1 does ARC) and enable the Audio Return Channel (ARC) in the onscreen menu. Your manual will give you the info. When using the receiver lower the TV sound to zero. The HDMI output is not affected by the sound level of the TV.

How to activate the Audio Return Channel (ARC) feature
NOTE: Low quality cables that are not labelled high-speed will not be able to provide the ARC function.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00016881

What is the Audio Return Channel (ARC) feature?
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00012943

For the ARC feature to work, please make sure that the A/V receiver has the latest software installed on the system.

Mag

My understanding is that there is no multi-channel format in anything other than multi-channel sacd. It's 2.1 matrix-ed by the codec used Dolby, DTS. Which you would use in the receiver. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

A problem you may encounter is the HDMI from the TV is not compatible with your receiver.

This is the problem I have with my Sony NS9100ES. The HDMI is not compatible with my TV although it passes the audio through. In order for it to work I have to run the HDMI into my Yamaha receiver and then HDMI from Yamaha to TV, and I am outta rack space.

WC

Greg,

It may work or it may not. The fact that the TV is 4K should not matter. Does the AVR support ARC (audio return channel)? If not you will not get audio from the TV through HDMI. I tried using ARC in the past and didn't like it. I connected a Toslink from the TV to the AVR to get sound. Do you want to pass 5.1 audio from the TV to the AVR? How well that works depends on your TV and the limitations that the manufacturer sets regarding audio.

gregfisk

• Restricted
Thank you all very much, it sounds like I just have to try it. One of the problems I have is the TV is mounted on the wall and there is no way to get more wire to it. I now have 2 HDMI cables running from my stereo location to the TV. This is all I have to work with so spdif is off the table. If I can't get it to work I may have to buy a new receiver, something I really didn't want to do.

I was just looking at the extractor I purchased and it does have a switch that says 2 channel or 5.1. I'm not sure if this relates to the spdif output or the hdmi passthrough or both. I will give all of this a try and post back on what I found.

Thanks again for the help.

Greg

Doublej

Is the Youtube TV an app built into the Sony TV? If yes and if the Sony has an HDMI jack labelled ARC (which it likely does) and the receiver's HDMI output says ARC then you are all set. If you have one HDMI cable between the TV and the receiver you should be good to go.

The TV will magically display the video and send the audio to the receiver to play on the speakers connected to the receiver. If you provide models of both the Sony TV and the receiver I or any of the other respondents can verify this.

gregfisk

• Restricted
Doublej,

Yes, Utube TV is built into the TV and works great. My receiver does not have ARC.

I tried to get the audio extractor to work today but no luck. What it does is takes the audio off of the HDMI coming from the TV and extracts it into either a RCA stereo signal or a SPDIF Optical signal. It has a switch on it that says pass through, 2 channel or 5.1 channel. None of these work and yes the TV does have ARC on HDMI 4.

Thanks,

Greg

WGH

Looks like you are limited to the Sony's Digital Out into your receiver and use the cinema or movie mode to re-create the surround and sub channels.

I noticed that Outlaw Audio has the new Model 976 that is 4K ready, I use the older Model 975 and really like the sound, if you are lucky the 975 can be found for $200 (eBay) and it does ARC.
The 975 also does Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby Digital decoding*; DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio and DTS decoding which your receiver probably doesn't do.

DTS-HD Master Audio on selected Blu-ray disks is super clear and turns your living room into a true home theater, after hearing DTS-HD MA the 5.1 audio streaming sounds like a compressed mp3 smeared around the 5 speakers. I thought the finale of Ready Player One would blow out my speakers, it was so cool.

Doublej

I would make it very, very, easy and buy a Chromecast which will at the moment set you back $25 plus tax. You plug the Chromecast into the receiver, the receiver will send the video to the TV and send the audio to the speakers.

Don't like Chromecast? If a Firestick or Roku have a Youtube TV channel you could get one of those instead of a Chromecast.

I am not an expert on audio extractors but it may not work because the unit may be designed for splitting the audio and video signals on the way in and not through the ARC channel which from the TV is outbound.

With the ARC channel from the TV , the audio has already been extracted. So you are feeding a partial HDMI signal to the extractor. This may not work. What the name/model of the audio extractor you are using?

WGH - with an Outlaw 975 what are you thinking for amplification? Feed the pre out into the receiver? For $200ish I would get (insert favorite Japanese brand) NOS AVR. I recently saw the Yamaha 581 for $229ish with similar deals for Onkyo, Pioneer, and Sony offerings.

WGH

WGH - with an Outlaw 975 what are you thinking for amplification? Feed the pre out into the receiver? For $200ish I would get (insert favorite Japanese brand) NOS AVR. I recently saw the Yamaha 581 for $229ish with similar deals for Onkyo, Pioneer, and Sony offerings.

Yea, run the pre-out into the receiver - another box, lots of wires and definitely kind of a kludge but the sound is glorious.
Since my stereo is my home theater with the addition of a Van Alstine 3 channel amp for the surrounds and center channel I get the best of both worlds. The amp section in Greg's AVR is probably better than any $200 receiver. Just turning the old, outdated, un-sellable receiver into a 5 channel amp with a modern processor for not much money.

gregfisk

• Restricted
Doublej,

Utube TV is a service like chromecast or many of the other apps out there. Are you saying I could install a Utube dongle at the receiver and then wirelessly send the video onto the TV?

Of course this TV has the Utube TV app. built into it but I guess I could buy another dongle. I currently have a dumb TV in the master bedroom that I am using one of these dongles on and it works the same other than you have to use your smartphone rather than the TV remote. When the Utube is built into the TV you can use the TV remote which is much better.

Doublej

Yes you could install a Utube dongle at the receiver. The receiver would then have to be connected to the TV using an HDMI cable. Then the receiver will split the video and audio signal and send video to the TV and audio through its (receiver) internal amplifiers to the speakers attached to it.

With a Chromecast, yes, you would use a smartphone to control it. With a Firestick, Fire TV or Roku you use the remote control that came with the unit. These as well as your TV may also have smartphone apps that you can use to control them.

I am with you. Using the TV remote for everything is easier but in this situation something has to give. Pick the smallest trade off from your perspective and go with it:

Want great sound and more physical bulk, add a used Outlaw 975 to the setup as WGH states.
Want great sound and more remotes, get a dongle.
Want lesser quality sound but similar physical bulk as today, get a new $200 AV receiver with ARC.
Want  even lower quality sound than above use a powered soundbar.

If you go the dongle route, your TV likely has a USB input that you can use to power the dongle. That should make for a cleaner install for the dongle.

Since your TV is mounted on the wall, if you buy a stick the default would be to use a side HDMI port on the TV. This will likely protrude from the side of the TV. Or you could get a short HDMI extender cable to be able to mount a stick at the back of the TV.