Pulled the trigger on Elrog 300B for the Golden Gate DAC

sfox7076

Re: Pulled the trigger on Elrog 300B for the Golden Gate DAC
« Reply #40 on: 27 Oct 2015, 01:10 pm »
I thought you meant you found the issue with the Elrogs.  How are they sounding?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #41 on: 27 Oct 2015, 01:26 pm »
Where you bought it? You could return the tubes?
These tubes are undesired with this performance.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #42 on: 27 Oct 2015, 01:59 pm »
I thought you meant you found the issue with the Elrogs.  How are they sounding?

Sorry for the delay.  I was listening to my music through the Elrogs.  I connected the GG DAC directly to my amp, bypassing my LDR passive preamp.  When I did this, there was dramatic improvement in sound.  I start hearing all the accolades this tube was known for.  The highs were extended, clear, and dynamic.  I am hearing fine detail that was absent before.  The midrange is much clearer with more emotion.  I can hear subtle inflections in voice and instruments that was not apparent before.  It is the most transparent tube I have now. The bass now has speed and impact.  However, it is not as exended as with the LDR preamp in place. Overall, 90% of the sound was markedly improved.  Just goes to show you how impedance mismatch can affect the sound.  Interestingly, the Psvane 101D and TJ FM 300B SE sound fine with the LDR preamp. They have none of the issues I experienced with the Elrogs. But I haven't tried them without the LDR preamp yet.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:00 pm »
Where you bought it? You could return the tubes?
These tubes are undesired with this performance.

Please see above.  Now these tubes rock!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #44 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:15 pm »
Please see above.  Now these tubes rock!
I never liked preamps congratulations.
Keep us posted about the other tubes.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #45 on: 27 Oct 2015, 02:23 pm »
Just goes to show you how impedance mismatch can affect the sound.  Interestingly, the Psvane 101D and TJ FM 300B SE sound fine with the LDR preamp. They have none of the issues I experienced with the Elrogs. But I haven't tried them without the LDR preamp yet.

There is no output transformer after the 300B?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: 27 Oct 2015, 03:44 pm »
There is no output transformer after the 300B?

AFIK, there is no transformer after the 300B. There is an output coupling cap.

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #47 on: 25 Mar 2016, 09:23 am »
My Elrogs experience as well as a friends. .
I bought a pair loved the sound , wrote about there virtues.  If anyone is using them keep it on 45 settings as it's less Amos to the heaters .
Now what has happened to me. Both thes are shot period they are about 1.6 years old not used much . When they were used last they worked fine , put them away. Try them a few months later both are bad.
My friend has two pairs and had to return 2 of the 4 under warentee lucky for him. I know George now says do not use them on lampizator at the time he did not know.  George does ask for the 3 hours burn in then 5 . I also wonder why but he is the dealer and tube guy all his life so I do what he says. Funny how I do not like nos for the above reliAbilty issues lol.  Has anyone here tried any solid state recti in there lMpizator. ??  I have one and intend to try them. At one pint I doc mostly headphones as such I hesr background sounds that most speakers do not give us. This has allowed me to judge tubes Ina different manner than most hear. The Elrogs were the bomb and now seems to have exploded hahahaha.  Lastly the recti matters as much as the output tubes maybe even more . For anyone using a lampi they should have a few on hand to try . I also think threads .ike this and others here are a must to keep going. The collective here is what this DAC needs as it'd endless tube rolling possibilities can make one weary . I M in no way bashing Elrogs just posting put my journey and a friends with them. I too read about that as the old batch , funny stories as they seem just as bad . I have two pairs of Lukas new globes coming. Based on what a good friend has told me. The chage from eml 45 bottle to 45 globe is pretty good . So my hope is it will be the same for the globe 300B now it being mesh is supposed to add even more. I never was a mesh guy as I felt it make the sound less euphoric for me.
Real music has bite while most want it smooth . I will
It's what I hear in both headphones and my IRS v setup when in recent the tubes. I am now searching for the RCA 274 b recti. 

Crashem

« Reply #48 on: 3 Apr 2016, 04:54 am »
Al,

Try Andy from Vintage Tube Services.  He is knowledgeable guy and just sold me 2 of them

Crashem

« Reply #49 on: 3 Apr 2016, 05:03 am »
Sorry i assume you meant the special Rca 5r4gy wwii vintage with double D getters at an angle.  That's what Andy has.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 14 Apr 2016, 12:00 am »
Ok. Update time.  My first set of Elrogs failed after about 65 hrs. Not good given these weren't even being used in a power amp.  George replaced them promptly, but asked that I keep the tubes on the lower 101D setting. I have about 30 hrs on the new set. Sounds about the same as the 300b setting, but I'm afraid to do direct comparison.  Bottom line.  These are great sounding tubes but seem fragile.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 14 Apr 2016, 01:10 am »
Ok. Update time.  My first set of Elrogs failed after about 65 hrs. Not good given these weren't even being used in a power amp.  George replaced them promptly, but asked that I keep the tubes on the lower 101D setting. I have about 30 hrs on the new set. Sounds about the same as the 300b setting, but I'm afraid to do direct comparison.  Bottom line.  These are great sounding tubes but seem fragile.
Incredible in a product at this price point.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 17 Apr 2016, 01:14 am »
True, but I can't get this type of organic sound from other tubes I've tried.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #53 on: 17 Apr 2016, 02:10 am »
Hmm so keep us posted on the situation of these tubes when reach more hours.

wisnon

« Reply #54 on: 18 Apr 2016, 08:35 am »

How does the new 45 Mesh Globe compare? Also the Psvane "UK Design" 300B and NU vintage 45 (ST shape)?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #55 on: 23 Apr 2016, 12:45 am »
How does the new 45 Mesh Globe compare? Also the Psvane "UK Design" 300B and NU vintage 45 (ST shape)?

Which 45 Mesh Globe? I haven't tried the other tubes you mentioned.

wisnon

« Reply #56 on: 25 Apr 2016, 04:14 pm »
The limited edition EML 45 mesh globe...

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #57 on: 25 Apr 2016, 11:54 pm »
I own Pair of defective Elrogs , but I do remember how they sounded . I posted here somewhere , we live in the midrange and lower treble . The Elrogs had clarity that I have never heard ona 300 B tube it's why I loved them . I used them in my woo as well as my lampi dads . 
The new eml globe mesh 45 are beyond them Ina few ways .
First off although they may not be as linear as a 101d is what they do well is clarity and have weight that a 101d does not have Next the mids and lower treble is just musical not just sound . The 101 d has better clarity but as we move to  analitical clarity we loose musicality . The mesh have this in spades .
 The 45 is a sweet spot for me it has what I feel is balance between in tone weight and clarity for the lampi .
I own bottle heads solid , anniversary globes even better then bottle heads and now the new mesh this is beyond any other tube to date .

In a direct comparison to my msb the lampi is easily better at playing music not just good sound . Piano is hard really  hard to sound real . The new globes do play it better than a 45 k msb stack no doubt

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 26 Apr 2016, 12:21 am »
The limited edition EML 45 mesh globe...

Mine came with the EML 45 as stock tube but not sure it's the mesh globe.  I'll have too check.  In my GG, it makes too much tube hiss and sounded a little too ripe or warm for my taste.

sfox7076

« Reply #59 on: 26 Apr 2016, 02:40 pm »
You have tube rush from your GoldenGate?