Which is the inside vs outside of the neo panel when mounting in an LRC?

davidc1

Hello Everyone,

I'm about to mount the neo mid panels in the LRC cabinet, but I want to make sure I have the orientation and polarity correct.

If you look at the pictures attached, it appears one side to the visible part of the green circuit board has a + on it and it's the same on both sides. That's the plus terminal I assume.

The circuit board also says "top side" and "bottom-side". Does this mean more accurately "front" and "back", or "facing out" and "facing in"?

Also, the side that has the terminals that look like you'd connect the wires is labeled "top", and the side with the screws sticking out is labeled "bottom", so I'm a bit confused.

Lastly, I assume the panel should be mounted with the terminals facing down towards the floor, correct?

Thanks, everyone.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
The NEO panel with the wire lugs inside the cabinet, so screws facing out.

davidc1

The NEO panel with the wire lugs inside the cabinet, so screws facing out.

Thank you sir...and screws/terminals at the bottom I assume?

JakeJ

Yup, that's the way they are in my RM-30M's.

davidc1

Also, the box is now sealed with the woofers, so I can't see, but the wires are red, and red/green stripe. Which is pos and which is neg?

GeorgeAb

Red is positive, red/grn is negative.

From this post:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113039.msg1836055#msg1836055

"Midrange hook-up wire, UL 1213, 18 AWG, 19 Strands, Silver-Coated Copper, TFE, Red (+), Red/Green (-) (or colors of your choosing). 
Tweeter hook-up wire, UL 1213, 20 AWG, 19 Strands, Silver-Coated Copper, TFE, Green (+), Blue (-) (or colors of your choosing)."

davidc1

Red is positive, red/grn is negative.

From this post:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113039.msg1836055#msg1836055

"Midrange hook-up wire, UL 1213, 18 AWG, 19 Strands, Silver-Coated Copper, TFE, Red (+), Red/Green (-) (or colors of your choosing). 
Tweeter hook-up wire, UL 1213, 20 AWG, 19 Strands, Silver-Coated Copper, TFE, Green (+), Blue (-) (or colors of your choosing)."

Which brings up a good point...why is not red (or a variation with a stripe) always used for + and black (with a variation such as a stripe) always used for -.

GeorgeAb

Which brings up a good point...why is not red (or a variation with a stripe) always used for + and black (with a variation such as a stripe) always used for -.

It is convention. 

I recall that you got this crossover pre-built from someone. Did you check to see it it came with a 2 ohm resistor in series with neo? If so, you need to remove that red wire going to neo and move from one side of resistor to other side of the 2 ohm resistor (bypass resistor). The 2 ohm resistor is used with 3 ohm neo panel and you have 5 ohm.  I mentioned this with the schematic I provided of the LRC here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113039.20

G E

In home  wiring in US convention for 120 VAC is

Black lead live

White lead neutral

Green is ground

In 3 conductor circuits Red wires also live.

They needed a convention so people wouldn’t be electrocuted on the job. No deeper meaning.