Audio Alchemy Gear, worth messing with?

Doublej

Audio Alchemy Gear, worth messing with?
« on: 15 Feb 2021, 08:01 pm »
I was recently given two Audio Alchemy DACs, a DAC MAN (without power supply) and a DDE v3.0 with Power Station Three. I am trying to figure out how much energy to put into determining if they function. Are they long past their prime and can be easily beat by $25, $50 or $100 current generation DACs or are they still competitive?

Does anyone has a picture of the plug for the DAC MAN power supply and know what the voltage and current output specs for it are?

The DDE is easier to  see if it works as i just need to buy a Toslink cable for a few bucks. I would describe them as both being in fair condition.

I was also given an OM-150 which has some bulging capacitors. I don't know if it's worth replacing them or not.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Audio Alchemy Gear, worth messing with?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2021, 09:53 pm »
I doubt that a $25-$50 dac will sound better.  Most that I have heard in this price range sound awful.   Maybe a $100  Schiit DAC may sound better.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2021, 09:59 pm »
I doubt that a $25-$50 dac will sound better.  Most that I have heard in this price range sound awful.   Maybe a $100  Schiit DAC may sound better.

I have the $99 Modi 3 (now the 3+), and it is excellent for the price.

jjss49

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2021, 12:12 am »
Audio Alchemy is/was decent stuff.  Built to a modest price point but some serious engineering inside and very decent sound quality.  They were the Schiit Audio of the day...

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2021, 12:51 am »
DoubleJ,

Here is some info you are seeking on the AA DAC
MAN (post#11):

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/14021-audio-alchemy-dac-2.html#post176715

Regarding measurements and the performance of the AA DDE3.0, here is some info:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audio-alchemy-dde-v3-0-quick-measurements.7558/

Best,
Anand.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2021, 03:26 am »

I have the $99 Modi 3 (now the 3+), and it is excellent for the price.

Agree 100%

I also own a Modi 3. Bought it used for $70.  For the price it is very good but it can't hold a candle to my Luxman or even my older Van Alstine Ultra II hybrid DAC.  My Luxman DA-06 is old tech from 2013 and still sounds fabulous.  Even my son's Emotiva Big Ego sounds better than the Modi but not by much.

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2021, 04:35 am »

Agree 100%

I also own a Modi 3. Bought it used for $70.  For the price it is very good but it can't hold a candle to my Luxman or even my older Van Alstine Ultra II hybrid DAC.  My Luxman DA-06 is old tech from 2013 and still sounds fabulous.  Even my son's Emotiva Big Ego sounds better than the Modi but not by much.

I've compared to my AVA Ultra DAC. It passes my first rule of audio, it doesn't hurt my ears!