Zu Cable Presences

LeroyC33

Zu Cable Presences
« on: 4 Feb 2008, 03:06 am »
Just curious, has anyone heard the new Zu Presences yet in person?  Zu began shipping them on Nov. 1st of 2007.  Can you tell me how they sound?  How good are they compared to other speakers?  Are they better or worse than the Zu Definition Mk2s? 

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

undertow

Re: Zu Cable Presences
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2008, 04:20 pm »
Hmm, Check this out..   
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?spkrfull&1202784194

I have heard all of Zu's and the Definitions mk 2 is of course their flagship, so its a little advanced in sound but the presence is really good too.. But for the price on that auction above I would give them a shot!

gsm18439

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2008, 05:31 pm »
At that price, the Def 2s are a steal. The only downside is that Zu's typical 60-day money-back guarantee does not apply to this particular auction.

IronLion

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2008, 05:36 pm »
At that price, the Def 2s are a steal.

While that is probably a true statement, its an auction and I highly doubt they will only get one bid...

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2008, 05:42 pm »
Even above the final selling price, they should be liquid on Agon if the new owner find them not to their liking.

I sure like mine though.  This is my fourth Zu pair and the best of the bunch by a significant margin.

Maybe this should be split into a separate thread since it's not about the Presence which I also am curious about.

jackthecat

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2008, 09:00 am »
I keep checking on 6 Moons for the Presence Review to happen but seems to be taking awhile . Its been in the preview for ... ages ?  Sorry Srajan  - not complaining !!  :thumb:

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2008, 09:49 am »
My pair just cleared customs today, February 6, and delivery is set for tomorrow (what goes for delivery around here - I'll get a call and have to pick 'em up).

The reason for the delay was that the original woofer amps were reported to hum under certain 230/240V conditions, i.e. exclusively outside the US. Zu has switched amp suppliers to Hypex to address this issue and apparently, delivery of the Hypex amps set back the clock a bit. For the good, it seems, as the Hypex amps add up to  6dB of boost at 20Hz if desired and their low-pass can slide as low as 30Hz. Zu is jazzed about Hypex because they find that of all the class D bass amps solution they have tested, it's the only one to not be compromised in that application.

I anticipate being able to write an initial impression of the Presence relatively quick since the drivers are pretortured  :green: and the full blow-by-blow part of the review will include comparisons to my Rethm Saadhanas, Zu Definition Pros and the Xavian XN 360s also inbound for review but obviously take longer to publish.

granosalis

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2008, 02:51 pm »
Srajan,
do the Presence arrived? Can you please give us some impressions.

Thanks and regards,
Giuseppe

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2008, 03:05 pm »
That review has long since published and can be found in our archives.  :icon_lol:

granosalis

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2008, 04:01 pm »
Srajan, thank you.
What do you think about Zu Presence matched with Leben Cs-600 amplifier?

bonesetter

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2008, 06:53 pm »
I have the Druids matched with a Leben CS-300 and I can say it works wonderfully well. The Leben is a snappy amp which complements Zu's incredible dynamics. The combination allows both Druids and Leben to shine.

I went over to a friends who has Druids and a EAR V20 and we compared the leben. While his V20 sounded very nice, compared to the Leben it was slower. The Leben was plainly the winner and sounded overall more musical. I have no doubt the 600 will be as synergistic...

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2008, 07:07 pm »
I have never heard a Leben component in my system so I'm not sure but based on bonesetter's feedback on the Druid, I'd expect similar results. Remember, the Presence is semi-active, meaning the Leben merely drives the 16-ohm "head", i.e. the two visible drivers on top. It should have excess power and operate well within its sweet spot  :green: