Wild Burro Betsy

ejfud

Wild Burro Betsy
« on: 29 May 2013, 02:23 am »
I've been playing with this driver the last few months and really enjoying them. I've had them in OB's like on their website, and in some Reso cabs designed for the Saba Greencones. Both were very nice sounding setups.

Bass is surprisingly good with a nice mid bass punch. Highs are very good for a whizzer coned driver. The highs are smooth with none of the tiz I often hear with whizzers. I've replaced the dust cap with some homemade phase plugs with outstanding results.

I powered them with a gain clone, F5 monos, IcePower, Tripath and a nice set of 2A3 monos. All worked well.

I had a chance to meet the man behind the drivers over the weekend at a local audio shindig. A good guy with a passion for audio.

Great inexpensive driver with an easy build for the inexperienced builder in all of us.

Anyone else built anything with the Burro's?

rockadanny

Re: Wild Burro Betsy
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2013, 02:37 pm »
Those cabs are beautiful! :thumb:
Man, I'd love to hear those. Posts like this get my DIY juices flowing. :drool:
I only wish I had time to try building something like this. I think I know what I'll be doing in my spare time once I retire. I will NOT be bored.

ejfud

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2013, 02:11 am »
They are real fun speakers. I find myself coming back to them more and more. They don't like to be played to loud, but at te levels I listen to they are beguiling.

Rclark

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2013, 05:26 am »
When I first started getting serious about building a system 2.5 years ago, this was the first hard landing, then I bounced off a few times, was going to build Statement Monitors, then N2x's (even bought cabinets from Jparkhur), (actually there were a TON of monitors I was considering) then bought GR Research Insignia Mod kit to test the waters, then landed on MMG's and took them to 11.

Don't see myself doing single driver, not without a coaxial tweeter, but those still pluck at the heart.

ejfud

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2013, 02:33 am »
That's the beauty of the Betsy, it's a great way into the building of speakers without spending much.

The phase plugs take this driver to another level.

Pchelac

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2013, 01:07 pm »
I have BetsyK in TQWT, and sound description is prety mush the same...