Rack or sideboard

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
  • Managing Director and Founder at Sonneteer
    • Sonneteer, made in Britain since 1994
Rack or sideboard
« on: 4 Nov 2013, 08:26 pm »
It might seem like an odd question to some, but it would be interesting to know your preferences in terms of placing your hifi components.

Is the aesthetic appearance important? Does the sonic performance come first? I remember my uncle spending a decent amount of money on a hifi set up and placing it on a book shelf with speakers either side 1 metre or so apart. Did he waste his money or just compromise a little for convenience?

Haider
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2013, 08:58 am by haiderSonneteer »

Alco

Re: Rack or sideboard
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2013, 10:22 pm »
Hello Haider,

Personally, I'd say your uncle has wasted a considerable amount of his money, placing a system like this.  :|
Obviously, in most cases people will have to make some compromise(s), as the system is mostly placed in the livingroom.
So, unless the music lover with a proper system is single and/or has a dedicated listening-room, he (let's be honest, it's rarely a she) will have to take the rest of the family into account. (or the wellknown WAF)

I think an affordable, but good, properly set up system, will mostly outperform a megabuck 'high-end' system, plunked just anywhere.

Also, If one has (or wants to) place their system between the speakers, I'd prefer a lower, wider piece of furniture.
(placing the system at one of the other sides of the room would be even better, but often less desirable)

I have my Sonneteer Campion placed on a cheap, spikes Ikea Odda (bedside :oops: :lol: ) table, in between my speakers.
(looking to replace that for a low/wide, preferably light-oak cabinet)

However. I did try to optimise the placement of my Penaudio Rebel 3's, and it really made a big difference.

Best regards,
Alco (Netherlands)
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2013, 08:12 am by Alco »

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2013, 05:08 pm »
Thanks Alco,

Yes indeed he probably did. But he was happy none the less.

I am sure clever placement of the right equipment can fit into a more normal lifestyle. If there is a such a thing of course. Loudspeakers seem to offer the biggest constraint where many only sound good if they are about two meters into the room with heavy cable coming out of the back like a  stuffed cobra. This is great in a dedicated listening room but not in a family living room. If we are to take hifi beyond the realms of the single middle aged man then we need to adapt the products to people. It is unlikely we will succeed the other way round.

Surely it is not beyond our capability to engineer performance and ergonomics togther?

Haider
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2013, 03:54 pm by haiderSonneteer »

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2013, 04:00 pm »
For example:

Does an exceptional high end loudspeaker that performs at its utmost placed against the wall or on a bookshelf exist? And I mean one that looks like and a loudspeaker rather than one that is in disguise..

I'd love to know as I may be in the market for a pair.

Haider

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:35 am »
These might do the trick:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/clue.htm

I haven't heard them but I remember the guys at Sjofn HiFi raving about them a few years back.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2013, 11:15 am »
These might do the trick:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/clue.htm

I haven't heard them but I remember the guys at Sjofn HiFi raving about them a few years back.

Thank you Steve,
It certainly looks like the right sort of thing. I am wondering if this kind of product is a necessity for many?

Haider

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2013, 12:10 pm »
I follow the Cardas near-field speaker/listening setup to great benefit in regards to soundstage and minimizing room interaction. 

As for a 'rack' I'm too old-school to invest much in accessories.  All my gear (about $4000 MSRP) fits in a $30 but heavily built Ikea bed stand that only measures 20.5" W x 16" D x 21.5" T (use the wheel posts as spikes into the carpet).

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2013, 12:24 pm »
I follow the Cardas near-field speaker/listening setup to great benefit in regards to soundstage and minimizing room interaction. 

As for a 'rack' I'm too old-school to invest much in accessories.  All my gear (about $4000 MSRP) fits in a $30 but heavily built Ikea bed stand that only measures 20.5" W x 16" D x 21.5" T (use the wheel posts as spikes into the carpet).

Thank you JLM we always admire a good engineering solution.

Haider

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2013, 11:26 pm »
I'm not sure how many people have to put their speakers right up against the wall due to space constraints.
Those who live in small apartments or have small listening rooms would be in that boat.
Another way to tackle the problem would be what Magnepan does with the on wall speakers:
http://www.magnepan.com/model_MC1

I've done something similar and know that works well enough.

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2013, 10:14 am »
Thanks for the link Steve. It is a decent enough solution. Though I have the problem at home that a big black box or 'thing' wont do. In fact showing the drive units is preferable as at least they have some character.

Maybe we need to set a design challenge. I'll think of a specification. Anyone else have any ideas?

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

TimF

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2014, 07:06 pm »
I know that this is an older thread, but as far as speakers that work well right up against a wall, try any of the Swedish built Larsens. I have the Model 4 and love it, I like that it takes up very little floorspace yet sounds much bigger than its diminutive physical size would let on. No need to sit in the sweet spot either. The only thing about these is that they do not perform well if shoe-horned into a corner. A nice flat-surfaced long wall is a good bet for them. Tim

haiderSonneteer

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2014, 12:24 pm »
Thanks,

We will certainly look these up. If it works like you say it sounds like the perfect solution for many people. Often designers make a product that performs perfectly in an engineering environment forgetting how people actually live.

great.

Haider
sonneteer.co.uk

TimF

« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2014, 11:22 pm »
Haider, I do not think that Larsen has quite adopted this slogan, but I believe this sums it up nicely: Larsen speakers-with room correction built-in. I have owned the model 4 going on two years, and it is one of very few wall boundary(wall huggers) that still have dimensionality and space, more of a 3-D versus a small cardboard cut out of the performers and musical venue that so many small monitor style speaker tend to have. These are incredibly good sounding speakers, and a very good value even here in the USA. Considering they are brought in from Sweden, that is saying a lot these days. Highly recommended, well worth seeking them out.

One of my much more expensive points of reference is a pair of Shahinian Obelisk2's, which are roughly 5 times the price, and the Larsens still manage to do a very admirable job in comparison! I hope you do get to listen to a pair at some point, always curious what others think of these. Tim