W-Frame wiring to Oppo 105

oneartist

Re: W-Frame wiring to Oppo 105
« Reply #20 on: 30 Nov 2016, 09:28 pm »
I checked with OPPO tech support. Both the RCA and XLR outputs in the 2 channel section are active and can be used at the same time.

If you don't want to limit the signal to the Maggies you could connect them to one pair of the outputs (RCA or XLR) then connect the sub to the other output. This will send a full range signal to both the Maggies and the subs.

If you want to keep the low frequencies away from the Maggies (which will allow them to play cleaner, especially at higher volumes) than use the inline filters Danny described.

Mike

The Oppo manual says that you can use stereo outs (different dac) for the FL&FR speakers in a multichannel analog configuration (a second dac). But do not use the FL&FR analog outs. This would use both dacs at the same time. Since I am sending stereo to the W-Frame subs with the A370 low pass filter set to 80hz and sending analog FL and FR to my 1.7 amp I am using both dacs in a multichannel configuration. I am guessing that the Oppo manual means not to send both stereo and FL and FR analog to the same FL&FR speakers.  What I have is working and the bottom of the 1.7's are great.  Do you see any problems with this configuration?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2016, 10:18 pm »
The Oppo manual says that you can use stereo outs (different dac) for the FL&FR speakers in a multichannel analog configuration (a second dac). But do not use the FL&FR analog outs. This would use both dacs at the same time. Since I am sending stereo to the W-Frame subs with the A370 low pass filter set to 80hz and sending analog FL and FR to my 1.7 amp I am using both dacs in a multichannel configuration. I am guessing that the Oppo manual means not to send both stereo and FL and FR analog to the same FL&FR speakers.  What I have is working and the bottom of the 1.7's are great.  Do you see any problems with this configuration?

Just that you are using both DAC's. The DAC in the 7.1 section is the same as the DAC in the OPPO 103. The DAC in the 2 channel section is the upgraded Audiophile DAC that sets the 105 apart from the 103.

If the amp that's driving the Maggies have XLR inputs you would connect the FL Maggie amp to the L XLR output of the 105 and the FR Maggie amp to the R XLR output. You would connect the L W-Sub to the L RCA output in the 2 channel section of the 105 and the R W-sub to the R RCA output in the 2 channel section.

If the Maggies don't have XLR inputs then you would need a pair of XLR to RCA adapters.

This way the full range signal for your Maggies + W-Subs come from the same higher quality DAC.

You continue to use the 7.1 section for the center, surrounds, surround back and HT sub (sub out) channels.

Mike
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2016, 12:32 am by mlundy57 »

oneartist

« Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2016, 10:37 pm »
This is what I would do. Use a Y connector with an inline filter like this. This can then be plugged into the back of your amp.

The subs then get a full range signal and then for the filter to your main amp choose a cap value that will leave the Maggie about 6db down at 40Hz. The value depends on the input impedance of your power amp.

The cap calculation comes out to 100nF. Where can I get the little box and the RCA connectors?

jparkhur

« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2016, 10:40 pm »
Box.  HRdwRe store.   Cap. Danny at GR    See my post

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 1 Dec 2016, 09:09 pm »
The cap calculation comes out to 100nF. Where can I get the little box and the RCA connectors?

I make them.