Receiver Recommendations

thp

Receiver Recommendations
« on: 28 May 2003, 07:57 am »
Need some suggestions on receivers to try out. Currently looking at NAD T762 and Rotel RSX-1055. Hard toss between the two right now, I like the NAD for it's stereo playback, but rotel seems a little better in movies... but I could just be wrong. Listened to the Integra DTR 8.3 also. I really liked it as well, but it's much more expensive then the previous two.

Budget is around $1500, maybe up to $2000 if anyone recommends something really good.

Or would seperates be a better idea? like $1500 on the Surround Preamp/Processor and $1000 on a 5 channel amp?

I'm mostly going to use it for two channel, and movies would just be a bonus. I don't want to have a seperate 2 channel system and a home theatre system, dont' have the room nor money.

Going to use Paradigm Studio 20's for the front, ADP for surrounds and CC for the center. Rava subwoofer.

Thanks for any suggestions.    :wink:

JoshK

Receiver Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2003, 01:44 pm »
I think in that budget you have many many choices. Narrowing them down will be the hard part but I will tell you I think you might consider getting seperates on the used market for that money.   You can try to find a 5 ch theta amp or something of that caliber and a used 5 channel pre/pro.  I wouldn't really worry about all the extended formats if movies are just a bonus but I might give weight to DPL II.  Anthems seem to be really highly regarded for pre/pros and used will be in your range.

F-100

Receiver Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2003, 02:19 pm »
THP,
  If you haven't bought the Paradigm speaker yet, I highly recommend Ascend Acoustic CBM-170 to go with the Rava sub.  I've owned Paradigm Ref-40 speakers before and I prefer the sound of the CBM-170. Other good candidates for a budget speaker are Axiom and Asperion. You might want to check out this link :

budget speaker comparison in LA: Aperion, Ascend, Axiom, and Onix Rocket

Good Luck

Al Garay

Receiver Recommendations
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2003, 06:57 am »
I would seriously consider stretching your budget to get a high-quality amp like this ATI 5x250W, AT2505, for $1486.55 ... this is regularly $2695. And then buying a HT receiver for a pre-amp, like the Onkyo special at onecall.com:

OneCall - ATI AT2505 5 channel 250W Per Channel Amplifier for $1486.55 plus Shipping! (Posted by: Apex)
Incredible deal on ATI`s AT2505 amplifier!  It`s a huge, hernia inducing (110lbs) monoblock design mosfet amp that`s built like a tank.  Thanks to its ginormous toroid transformer, it has 120,000 micro-farad capacitance and a level damping factor over 1000.  It`s good for 250 watts per channel at 8 ohm and 375 watts per channel into 4 ohm, with all 5 channels driven.  It`s a serious monster.  ONECALL

OneCall - Onkyo HT-S760 6.1 Channel Receiver w/ Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES 6.1 + Speaker Package for $499. (Posted by: Apex)
You get a 6.1 channel receiver with DTS, DTS-ES Discrete/Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo:6, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II decoding and 100 watts per channel, plus 2 front speakers, 1 center channel speaker, 2 surround speakers, and one subwoofer.  ONECALL
Update: you can also call in to get their best price.  Might save you a few bucks.  Pretty awesome though for a full system with the Onkyo name.  Call 1-866-572-3235.

MaxCast

Receiver Recommendations
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2003, 12:11 pm »
Since 2 channel is the priority how about something like this:

2 channel preamp $5-800 (with a pass through loop)
Amp = $7-1200
Receiver = $4-500 (with pre outs)

There are many fine manufacturers with circles here for you to look into.  A couple with new products are nOrh with the new leamps ($400) and preamp ($300?), Odyssey with the passive pre and new amp ($1000), etc.

thp

Receiver Recommendations
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2003, 06:52 am »
Checked up on all the recommended hardware listest.  The ATI looked like a really good deal, but is out of stock.  Tried looking for the Theta amp.. but nothing came up for less then $2000.  So far only things i really found in my price range new for seperates is the Rotel 1075 and Anthem pva7.  The pva7 looks like a good deal so I'll have to hit that over the weekend and give it a listen.

I already have a pair of Studio 20's that I bought last year...  and they're are working well for me except the highs can be a little tiring at times, but it's not too bad.  I was thinking of continuing with the paradigms, but I'm open to suggestoin for good home theatre speakers.

I currently own two mb-100 now and was considering to sell them to afford the new 5 or 7 channel amp.  Or would it be wiser to keep them and just get a few more for home theatre?  I really wanted just a big huge block instead of 5 smaller ones, because 5 mb-100 would just be a big mess of power cords.

I'd be happy with a good dvd player and receiver, or a dvd player pre and amp.  Trying to keep it a little small.

Thanks for the help!