Naim Nait for Argon1's ?

Dave-in-Cambodia

Naim Nait for Argon1's ?
« on: 4 Mar 2023, 05:42 am »
Has anyone out there ever tried powering the Amphion Argon1's with a Naim Nait 5si? On the one hand the Argon's are rated 86/8 so not a particularly difficult load to drive, but if Tarun the British Audiophile is getting his best results with a Hegel H190, it would seem that the Nait is liable to run out of puff before it gets us there.

Silly confession time: My fantasy is that someone will say "Oh no, the Nait 5si works great with those," and then I can get the Argon's in all black with green grilles. :D

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Naim Nait for Argon1's ?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2023, 01:22 pm »
I had 85/8 speakers with the same power (Sonneteer/Exposure) and was very happy with the results.
Please note, I don't run a dance club in my living room, never have (low to mid sensitivity speakers are not a good choice for that application).

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2023, 01:24 pm »
In general depends on:  room size, how loud you listen, and input sensitivity of the Naim versus output of your source.

The Naim is rated at 60 wpc into 8 ohms, plenty for most applications.  Realize that 60 watts translates to 17 dB of gain, so with the Argons you should reach 106 dB at one meter, which is quite loud (86+17+3 for two channels/speakers).  The rated input sensitivity is quite low, so not a limiting factor.

Dave-in-Cambodia

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2023, 02:48 pm »
I'm looking to do most of my listening off-axis and at very low volumes, to with little or no need for lower bass extension. That should be a point in favour of the Naim, but less -- perhaps -- in favour of the Argons? Perhaps there's a better choice?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2023, 03:51 pm »
I'd go active monitors, such as Kali LP-6 v.2 paired with NAD CS1 (streamer/DAC).  Total system price under $800 USD.  Just add a CD quality streaming source like Qobuz or Tidal.  With your less than ideal stipulations I wouldn't over spend.  The Kali uses a wide dispersion tweeter and the NAD is also small.

Dave-in-Cambodia

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2023, 04:05 pm »
Any experience with the Edifiers such as the s2000mk-iii? There's an Edifier dealer here in Phnom Penh.

/mp

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2023, 02:14 pm »
I'm looking to do most of my listening...at very low volumes....

In which case, anything more powerful than a flea power amp should be enough.

As always, YMMV.

zoom25

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2023, 10:14 pm »
I'm looking to do most of my listening off-axis and at very low volumes, to with little or no need for lower bass extension.

Yeah the Amphions should be good for that purpose. I don't have experience with the Argon1, but have been using Amphion One15 with Amphion speaker cables and amp since around 2015. They perform very well at low volumes and bass is surprisingly decent and useful. That was one of my main needs for late night use. I like them  :thumb:

The only thing else back then that I would have considered (even now) were ATC SCM20ASL Pro Mk2.