World Cup 2014

Davey

Re: World Cup 2014
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jun 2014, 07:59 pm »
Soccer ignorance is always entertaining for those of us who play(ed) and are fans.

I think a ridiculous sport is an NFL game where a bunch of huge guys actually play for only about twenty minutes total time interspersed in a four hour commercial advertising blitz.  :)  I haven't been able to sit through a Superbowl game in years.  :)

To each his own I guess.

Dave.

vortrex

« Reply #21 on: 23 Jun 2014, 10:39 pm »
I don't think it has anything to do with ignorance.  I don't think it takes any in-depth knowledge of soccer to determine what's happening there.  Are you saying all the faking of injuries is a great part of your sport?  I didn't criticize any other part of the game, only the flopping and carrying on.  That's embarrassing for pro athletes making millions of dollars to do.

I don't watch football (NFL) either.

sts9fan

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jun 2014, 10:51 pm »
The flopping is rediculous and defending it is even more rediculous.
It seems that there are no "tough guys" on some teams. Just a bunch of actors. Man up.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jun 2014, 10:56 pm »

........is an NFL game where a bunch of huge guys actually play for only about twenty minutes total time interspersed in a four hour commercial advertising blitz.  :)  I haven't been able to sit through a Superbowl game in years.  :)

True, but I see a lot of soccer players staying in their areas waiting for the ball to come near them.  That's hardly going full out 100% of the time.

The flopping is disgraceful.  It's starting to look like the NBA, to say nothing of NFL players suddenly going down after a play without being touched.

Davey

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jun 2014, 11:11 pm »
Gents,

I didn't say I was defending flopping, did I?  :)  If they wan't to embarrass themselves, they certainly can, can't they?  :)
I can't disagree that some of the flopping is ridiculous, but you didn't call it ridiculous flopping, you called it a "ridiculous sport."  I disagree with that.
I think flopping is not unlike fighting in hockey.  It's unnecessary and a distraction, but I don't think it diminishes the rest of what's actually a terrific game/competition.

Anyways, the flopping has been going on for years.  It only amounts to a couple of minutes total each game and the referee never buys the acting anyways.  It's not unusual to see a referee yellow card a player for doing it.  I find it rather amusing.....and it's rather innocuous and never affects the outcome of a match.  I hope you're not saying you can't take the WHOLE sport seriously BECAUSE of the flopping.  That would be disappointing.

Regarding players staying in their areas.  This is not like youth leagues were all the kids swarm the ball wherever it goes.  :)  Although that's damn fun to watch, you can't play that way when the game and competition become more mature.

Cheers,

Dave.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jun 2014, 11:12 pm »
The higher the stakes, the higher the chicanery level. With the kind of money to be had in pro sports, and the insane amounts wagered thereon, you can expect cheating to take many forms and to be executed at a very high level. Flopping in soccer and other sports that we are forbidden to discuss is but one way to pursue a competitive advantage. I'm surprised to hear nothing of doping in the World Cup. Am I to assume these guys would never do such a thing?

vortrex

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jun 2014, 12:24 am »
I can't disagree that some of the flopping is ridiculous, but you didn't call it ridiculous flopping, you called it a "ridiculous sport."  I disagree with that.

I think flopping is not unlike fighting in hockey.

I hope you're not saying you can't take the WHOLE sport seriously BECAUSE of the flopping.  That would be disappointing.

I do find it a ridiculous sport due to all the flopping.  I don't care to watch grown men making millions upon millions of dollars acting like crybabies.

Did you really just compare flopping to fighting?   :green:

I'll never watch another game of that sport again, but that's just me.  Obviously the world as a whole loves flopping.

Mudslide

« Reply #27 on: 24 Jun 2014, 02:54 am »
I watched soccer for the first time last night, the last 15 min of the game.  It was hilarious!  Guys flopping all over the grass, writhing in pain, about every 2 minutes.  I had no idea it was such a ridiculous sport.

Well...speaking for Oregon Duck football fans everywhere who have to endure it from opponents, I can tell you that there is plenty of flopping in NCAA football as well.  See one here ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEr6tHeuKnA

It's a perfect display of bad sportsmanship (not to mention penalty worthy in both sports).

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jun 2014, 03:05 am »
I like soccer, especially the WC, but did they learn "flopping" from WWE?    :duh: :banghead:

mcgsxr

« Reply #29 on: 24 Jun 2014, 07:10 pm »
I think the comparison stands if you consider it is really a comment on the cultural prevalence of certain behavior, seemingly ingrained in a certain sport.

I grew up playing hockey, and met a lot of idiots that felt that was a GREAT part of hockey.  I do watch a lot of hockey, and will admit there are times when a fight is additive to the game, but not all are.

I think that diving in soccer is similar in that it is prevalent in the game, and seems accepted by fans.

I have seen little soccer in my adult life, but never fail to see humor in the theatrics.  My brothers and I always mocked the "magic spray" and I had to explain it to my daughters this year. 

I said it is magic spray that makes your fake injury go away!

I have watched parts of a lot of games this World Cup, and have seen lots of diving.  I have also seen some really excellent goals.

vortrex

« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2014, 09:27 pm »
If go to an NHL game or watch one on TV, what happens when a fight breaks out?  The crowd goes wild.  The fans love the fighting aspect of hockey.  I don't watch soccer, but I have a feeling when someone flops the fans don't love it and don't cheer for it.  Fans don't get all pumped up hoping the game has some great flops. 

Fighting today in the NHL is few and far between.  Rarely is there a toe to toe fight since the NHL started their effort to make the sport more family friendly.  In the WC, I was seeing flops every minute or two!!!  If there was a crybaby once a game it would be fine, but in the 15 min I saw it was non-stop flopping.  I think one guy was even put on a stretcher but then hopped off it once he knew it wasn't going to buy him anything.  It's pathetic.

chip

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jun 2014, 09:37 pm »
Didn't know biting was part of soccer -

http://espn.go.com/?topId=11127197

Flopping is a little less now because they can get red card for it....usually if it happens in the box only though.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #32 on: 26 Jun 2014, 11:26 pm »
Soooo - the US has backed into the Round of 16 or Sudden Death Round as it is also known. Apparently they will be playing Belgium on July 1st. I heard somewhere that Belgium was a team the Germans wanted to avoid. They may change their minds after a good dose of Algeria though.

About half of the European stalwarts have been eliminated in the Group Stage. What do you see as the likelihood that Belgium will be eliminated too? Can the US win that game?

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jun 2014, 01:19 am »
Have not followed the Belgium games, but can't keep hoping / expecting that they would be a less fierce rival than Germany.  USA really had to fight that onslaught all game and did admirably to keep it to just 1 goal against.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #34 on: 27 Jun 2014, 01:24 am »
Didn't know biting was part of soccer -

http://espn.go.com/?topId=11127197

Flopping is a little less now because they can get red card for it....usually if it happens in the box only though.

And now suspended for 4 games + 100K franc fine.  Didn't realize he was a serial biter - to the extent that some have nicknamed him "dracula" and photoshopped him accordingly.  This is sad news for my underdog favorite Uruguay and practically guarantees a loss in the upcoming Colombia quarterfinals match. This team is really their own worse enemy. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-26/suarez-gets-nine-game-ban-by-fifa-for-bite-in-world-cup-game.html

JoshK

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jun 2014, 01:48 am »
Suarez I think got 9 games (international games) and 4 months....  but his sponsors are cutting ties, so he is getting some of what he deserves (he is a scumbag IMO). 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #36 on: 27 Jun 2014, 02:09 am »
A Suarez-Tyson match could be fun.  :lol:

And now the games start.   :D

Art_Chicago

« Reply #37 on: 27 Jun 2014, 04:19 am »

About half of the European stalwarts have been eliminated in the Group Stage. What do you see as the likelihood that Belgium will be eliminated too? Can the US win that game?
unfortunately the chances of the US beating Belgium are slim unless a miracle-on-ice kind of thing takes place again!

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #38 on: 28 Jun 2014, 01:38 pm »
Here's the Sports Illustrated view of who's who in the Knockout Round. The US prospects are grim indeed. If somehow we slip past Belgium, Argentina will be our next opponent.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/06/27/world-cup-power-rankings-knockout-stage-brazil

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #39 on: 29 Jun 2014, 06:12 pm »
OK -- Just watched the Netherlands/Mexico game. The World Cup is definitely rigged. Arjen Robben can get a penalty kick inside the box anytime in any game with his acting skills. My fantasy about this being a high level of competition has been thoroughly disabused. No point in watching any further.