Vinyl vs Digital Thread Number 603- an interesting article

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Vinyl vs Digital Thread Number 603- an interesting article
« Reply #40 on: 26 Nov 2018, 04:29 pm »
Vinyl is great for those of us that already have thousands of records.  If I was starting from scratch, I think I'd be streaming.  As far as I'm concerned the over-riding concern is the music... and I've got lots more of it on vinyl than digital. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #41 on: 26 Nov 2018, 05:24 pm »
That is not what Elizabeth is saying, she is saying if / when it packs up down the road it can and often cost a fortune to fix and sometimes you can’t get it  fixed hence you end up with a very expensive doorstop.

It sounded like the percentage was high of it breaking. I was questioning it breaking that fast. Do we not get our money's use out of it? Buy a expensive used transport and use it. If it does break, you look for another $1K used expensive transport.

Because, I bet people lose more money on upgrading equipment then buying a used high-end player. Chances are you would want to change that player anyway because that's what audiophiles do.

toocool4

« Reply #42 on: 26 Nov 2018, 05:32 pm »
mix4fix not if you get it correct in the first place, I don’t change my kit often as I do my homework.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 26 Nov 2018, 05:41 pm »
twitch54 you can do it for far less than that.

I do kind of agree with you about starting from scratch today, why would you bother but saying that it’s far easier with record players than a tape deck or a Reel to reel player. At least with records, you can still get new records / record players. With tape decks and reel to reel, good luck.

There are tons of vinyl options. Plenty of turntables available. Everybody has vinyl (even Target had a little bit of vinyl. Best Buy. Hot Topic. Urban Outfitters. Plenty of vinyl vendors at Capitol Audio Fest. Online vendors. etc.).

I don't know why anybody would not get onto vinyl. Even if one make the poor choices, it is still the easiest to get into.

On a side note, how much is a new, used, or vintage real-to-real? The ones at United Home Audio are crazy expensive. Tapes are like $300 a piece.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #44 on: 26 Nov 2018, 05:51 pm »
mix4fix not if you get it correct in the first place, I don’t change my kit often as I do my homework.

I didn't say everybody. Many people do though. I will upgrade up because I can't afford all higher-end in one shot. It just takes me longer than the average person.

Correct is subjective. To one person, the million dollar VAC room at Capitol Audio Fest is the greatest thing in the world. To others, some of the other rooms (Salk for example) is our cup of tea.

toocool4

« Reply #45 on: 26 Nov 2018, 05:52 pm »
There are tons of vinyl options. Plenty of turntables available. Everybody has vinyl (even Target had a little bit of vinyl. Best Buy. Hot Topic. Urban Outfitters. Plenty of vinyl vendors at Capitol Audio Fest. Online vendors. etc.).

On a side note, how much is a new, used, or vintage real-to-real? The ones at United Home Audio are crazy expensive. Tapes are like $300 a piece.

That is what I am saying, records are everywhere and new are still being made.

New Reel to Reel players are expensive, that is the price of admission.

twitch54

« Reply #46 on: 26 Nov 2018, 05:59 pm »
twitch54 you can do it for far less than that.

really ?? show me, obviously you and I can't ... LOL !

toocool4

« Reply #47 on: 26 Nov 2018, 06:09 pm »
I didn't say everybody. Many people do though. I will upgrade up because I can't afford all higher-end in one shot. It just takes me longer than the average person.

Correct is subjective. To one person, the million dollar VAC room at Capitol Audio Fest is the greatest thing in the world. To others, some of the other rooms (Salk for example) is our cup of tea.

Correct is not subjective here, when I say correct I mean correct for what sound I like. With the dealers I go to, they let me take things home to use in my system for a weekend or week so I always know it’s going to work for me.

toocool4

« Reply #48 on: 26 Nov 2018, 06:24 pm »
really ?? show me, obviously you and I can't ... LOL !

Okay using UK prices

Rega P6           £1049
Rega Fono MC £249
Spin Clean       £90

I make that      £1388

twitch54

« Reply #49 on: 26 Nov 2018, 06:27 pm »
Okay using UK prices

Rega P6           £1049
Rega Fono MC £249
Spin Clean       £90

I make that      £1388

LOL, you said ......"a lot less" ! and besides you didn't include a phono-pre !

regardless, I fully understand opinions differ but I've never heard a analog set up done on the 'cheap' that I would consider remotely challenging to digital.

toocool4

« Reply #50 on: 26 Nov 2018, 06:33 pm »
LOL, you said ......"a lot less" ! and besides you didn't include a phono-pre !

regardless, I fully understand opinions differ but I've never heard a analog set up done on the 'cheap' that I would consider remotely challenging to digital.

Yes I could do it a lot less, but i still want something that is going to sound reasonable.
By the way the Rega Fono MC is a phonostage.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #51 on: 26 Nov 2018, 06:52 pm »
  For me it is about the music. Meaning good recordings to start with. That said if one had 4K to spend what format would sound best for that money ? Two 4K front ends, one digital, one analog. Choosing components from Stereophiles recommended components list class "B" or "C" what would you choose ?? :popcorn:

charles

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #52 on: 26 Nov 2018, 07:21 pm »
My digital front end
Marantz SA-10
No name 5 disc changer used, (I own a half dozen of them, all the same, don't bother to ask what brand.. I still buy them!)
Lifatech Toslink connecting them.
And then all the power conditioners and other stuff on the AC....
My Analog front end(s)
Kuzma Stabi (the brass pipe model) Stogi S arm, (includes power supply device) Dynavector 17D3, Audio research Sp-15 as a phono device for it
Also
Rega P5 with power supply device, Benz Glider cartridge, New to me Threshold FET 10 phono (phono and line stage rebuilt by Jon Soderberg and new power supply built by him in 2014) Previous used Bryston BP 1.5  The Threshold is better.)
I also own a Audible Illusions Modulus 3A with a nice phono stage in it.
The cartridges are getting up in hours of use. But I have some time left. Waffling about what to buy to replace. The Rega may be dumped for a Rega 10. IF they do not up the price too much before I can buy one. I would get it with the better available Rega cart.
For the Kuzma? Cartridge prices around $2000 seem to be the area I would look.

An interesting comparison on replaceable stuff. The cartridges used to be $1000. Now $2000. The replaceable medium in CD, the transports. $40 before , $40 today, $40 tomorrow since I have a stockpile of them to last out my remaining lifespan... LOL
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2018, 10:09 pm by Elizabeth »

twitch54

« Reply #53 on: 26 Nov 2018, 07:48 pm »
Yes I could do it a lot less, but i still want something that is going to sound reasonable.
By the way the Rega Fono MC is a phonostage.

Ok, but what about a cartridge ?

toocool4

« Reply #54 on: 26 Nov 2018, 08:27 pm »
Ok, but what about a cartridge ?

If you bothered to look up the Rega P6, you would know it comes with Ania MC cartridge.

twitch54

« Reply #55 on: 26 Nov 2018, 09:35 pm »
If you bothered to look up the Rega P6, you would know it comes with Ania MC cartridge.

LOL, it comes in many different configurations....with AND without cart !

example from 'needle doctor'

https://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-Planar-6-Turntable-w-Neo-TT-PSU?quantity=1&custcol124=1

regardless, as I stated in the first place when it's all said and done 2-3k min, NOT 'a lot less' as you stated !

wushuliu

« Reply #56 on: 26 Nov 2018, 09:44 pm »
Tough thing about recommending vinyl setups is that it's hard to find people who have done table comparisons beyond one or two - understandable since it's a bulky and clumsy setup process. But now that there's real competition in the <$1k market there's a dearth of comparative information. It's not just about Rega this or Pro-ject that anymore.

I'm hoping to do some comparos by end of next year. A few years ago I dove into TTs and bought/repaired/sold some 3 dozen different vintage tables. So I'd like to know how new budget tables like the Orbit hold up. Based on my experience my favorite tables were ones that were suspended, regardless of drive. In that respect, a vintage table can be worth pursuing if you know what to look for.

dB Cooper

« Reply #57 on: 27 Nov 2018, 01:10 am »
Well for a budget system- maybe a VPI Prime $4000, a VPI phono preamp at $500, Cartridge around $1000 and all the coolest VPI accessories $1,300

I guess people have different ideas of 'Budget'... My idea of 'budget' would be an Orbit TT at $459 for the tricked-out version with the acrylic platter and bamboo plinth, $299 for a VanAlstine modded Grado, and $500 for a VanAlstine phono pre. Total cost ~$1300.

twitch54

« Reply #58 on: 27 Nov 2018, 02:14 am »
I guess people have different ideas of 'Budget'... My idea of 'budget' would be an Orbit TT at $459 for the tricked-out version with the acrylic platter and bamboo plinth, $299 for a VanAlstine modded Grado, and $500 for a VanAlstine phono pre. Total cost ~$1300.

budget yes, compete with a digital front end of equal value....... probably not, oh and you forgot the needed cleaning items, 1-200 buckaroos !

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #59 on: 27 Nov 2018, 02:46 am »
This isn't the budget section. So, I don't expect everything so stay under $1K. If a VPI Scout or Prime is an optimal way to go (not the absolute best but the best use of money), then great.