Spirit, Wave, Charge?

JohnR

Spirit, Wave, Charge?
« on: 22 Jul 2018, 02:51 am »
I'm trying to buy a friend a tool for his birthday, he's a retired mechanic but also does bushcare. I have a Leatherman Supertool (from 25 years ago!), a Skeletool and a Squirt. So I'm thinking maybe a Wave Plus or splurge on a Charge TTI Plus. But there's also a Charge Plus. And the Spirit/X look pretty nice too. I'm totally confused  :?

Anyone have any of these, what do you think of them?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Spirit, Wave, Charge?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2018, 06:04 pm »
Hello, John.

I can't speak from experience for any of the choices you've listed. However, of the two photographs you've presented, I prefer the bottom one.  I like having needle nose pliers along with all the blades and drivers.

Michael

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2018, 06:31 pm »
I use the pliers on my old Leatherman all the time.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2018, 08:31 pm »
You know, my birthday is tomorrow, and I'd be happy to have one of those!   :lol:  I also like the bottom one the best.

The best present I got from a friend was similar to this:

https://store.snapon.com/Standard-Handle-8-3-4-Ratcheting-Standard-Screwdriver-P634146.aspx

Ridiculously expensive, but this is pretty much the only screwdriver I use, when I can use it.  And I've had mine for over 8 years and have never had any issues, which says a lot when it's the main screwdriver. 

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2018, 02:10 am »
 :birthday: to you !

The first one in the pics above have pliers too (for some reason usually shown closed in the publicity photos). I think the idea of the photo is to show that all tools can be accessed while they are closed, whereas the Leatherman require that you open them to get to some tools.

[Update: made a decision, will update when it arrives ! ]
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2018, 04:40 am by JohnR »

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2018, 05:21 am »
 :cry: :cry: :bawl:

Man it's such a crap shoot buying online these days. Do you think this is a new knife?  :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2018, 05:32 am »
Too bad, now they remake images in photoshop it show always everything is perfect, in May I ordered 4 fuse holders, the photos showed they seems to be big, when they arrived it was obvious the images were carefully manipulated:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PC-SCI-R3-26-Panel-Mount-Chassis-Fuse-Holder-For-5x20mm-Glass-Fuses-10A-250V-B1-/263606166703?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jul 2018, 05:50 am »
It looks used to me John, but I'm not sure.

I like having pliers, a screwdriver (phillips and flathead),scissors and of course a knife. Those are the tools that seem to get used the most.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jul 2018, 05:57 am »

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jul 2018, 08:22 am »
I think he probably has plenty of hammers already :)

I like having pliers, a screwdriver (phillips and flathead),scissors and of course a knife.

Apart from the scissors that's exactly the Skeletool. Maybe I should get him one of those... at this point it's become a question of where I can get something at a physical store  :shake: