Probiotics?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Probiotics?
« on: 16 May 2011, 05:17 am »
It seems the gut is an amazing organ, and that a lot of the things we put in our mouth cause problems with the "flora" in our guts. I'm curious if anyone else here is trying to eat more fermented food like yogurt, kefir, kim chee, or saurkraut?  I personally don't trust most food manufacturers, so I've ordered kefir grains and am going to make it myself.  Anyone else going down this path?  I don't quite trust myself with sourkraut yet, but if the kefir is a success, then sourkraut is next. 

morganc

Re: Probiotics?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2011, 05:50 am »
Sauerkraut is very easy as is Kimchee.....both are great sources of "good" bacteria and actually help aid in the digestionof the rest of the meal.   If you want to read all about how to make it yourself, the science behind it, as well as the cultural heritages, try a cookbook called "Nourishing Traditions".  It walks you through them all step by step and also has other tastey recipes.   

BTW, we have approximately 10x more organisms in our intestinal tract than cells in our body....so it is a good idea to make sure that you've got more of the good guys than the bad!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2011, 05:58 am »
Surely the natural food is the way, it is hard to find natural cow milk or cheese(non processed by a plant)
Milled barley burned replaces the coffee has no caffeine, which makes the blood alkaline.
Any canned food as corn, peas, beans, carrots, meat etc is dead, has no nutrients and only serves as a stop-gap.

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2011, 01:51 pm »
Sauerkraut and Kin Chee are stupidly easy to make.  As is your own yogurt by using store bough as a seed culture. 

Eric

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2011, 02:50 pm »
I also take a supplement from GNC to promote good bacteria growth

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2011, 09:15 pm »
The problem is that everyone responds to different probiotics. The natural "food" our bodies often make for good bacteria is the antigen of our blood that is secreted into bodily fluids.

This study is saying that a loss of blood antigen in the intestines is a loss of good bacteria.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC436627/

But here is a really good bit on it.

http://n-equals-one.com/blogs/2011/04/22/enterotypes-and-blood-types2/

Æ

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2011, 09:21 pm »
The problem is that everyone responds to different probiotics. The natural "food" our bodies often make for good bacteria is the antigen of our blood that is secreted into bodily fluids.

This study is saying that a loss of blood antigen in the intestines is a loss of good bacteria.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC436627/

But here is a really good bit on it.

http://n-equals-one.com/blogs/2011/04/22/enterotypes-and-blood-types2/

I found it very interesting, but darn I really had no understanding of what I was reading. Anyone with a more simple easier to understand explanation?
Thanks

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2011, 09:36 pm »
Yeah sorry for that situation. Sad fact of the matter is bodies are complicated so all of our favorite "simple" ideas are... well too simple but we use them to beat the crap out of each other trying to prove who is right and wrong based on infantile concepts of the body.

Sigh... I just order blood type specific Probiotics and skip all the guess work. That is my easy answer. Here is one thing that is interesting.

Type O gut flora balancing = red meat & bananas. Zero wheat. My friend is Type O and likes Kefir and Yogurt but he farts way the hell too much. His gas goes down when he stops consuming them and just eats buffalo, millet, and veggies.

Æ

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2011, 11:42 pm »
Yeah sorry for that situation. Sad fact of the matter is bodies are complicated so all of our favorite "simple" ideas are... well too simple but we use them to beat the crap out of each other trying to prove who is right and wrong based on infantile concepts of the body.

Sigh... I just order blood type specific Probiotics and skip all the guess work. That is my easy answer. Here is one thing that is interesting.

Type O gut flora balancing = red meat & bananas. Zero wheat. My friend is Type O and likes Kefir and Yogurt but he farts way the hell too much. His gas goes down when he stops consuming them and just eats buffalo, millet, and veggies.

It's been a long time since I've had any blood drawn, but if I remember correctly I'm a "B" something or other. So what probiotic should I ingest?
Thanks

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2011, 09:35 pm »
Like I said, I just skip the guess work. You have to B+ or B- if you are B.

http://www.4yourtype.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BT003B

Yogurt works for you too.

Æ

« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm »
Like I said, I just skip the guess work. You have to B+ or B- if you are B.

http://www.4yourtype.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BT003B

Yogurt works for you too.

I drank some of that YAKULT a couple of times, it didn't seem to agree with me. Never had any problems eating yogurt, I sometimes buy ACTIVIA.
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2011, 12:03 am by Æ »

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2011, 11:45 pm »
One of the funnier things I have noticed lately...

Chobani Yogurt has guar gum in it. People with IBS and gut flora problems react poorly to guar gum, hahaha. Chobani is everywhere now too...

Don_S

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2015, 11:03 pm »
I know this thread is ancient by AC standards but I am wondering if anyone is taking probiotics on a regular basis.  Someone recommended them to me for general health.  I do not have known digestive issues and I am not on antibiotics but I sure do not like my weight or energy levels.

I eat more healthy than the average person I see in front of me in the grocery store but I am no saint. Since nutrition is not just what we eat, but maybe more importantly, how the body absorbs and utilizes it I am exploring options.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2015, 11:47 pm »
I dont take it, hard to find it here.
I would take once per week, not more than it.

sfox7076

« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2015, 04:40 am »
I take probiotics when my stomach feels out of whack.  I take the liquid.  Pills are not as good IMHO.

sts9fan

« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2015, 02:44 pm »
I take a GoodBelly every day. Plus I make my own Kim Chee and fermented hot sauce.

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2015, 06:40 pm »
I used to not take any of it.  To me, the science is still quite unsettled in this area.  I don't think, for instance, that probiotics have much to do with weight loss or gain in humans.  An article about these being overhyped and possible wrong:

http://www.nature.com/news/microbiology-microbiome-science-needs-a-healthy-dose-of-scepticism-1.15730

I'm not sure they can even adequately test what your bacteria is. This is one article where the author sent her samples to two different labs and got two different results, but there are other articles indicating if you take samples from two different parts of the same stool, you can get two different results. 

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gory-details/here%E2%80%99s-poop-getting-your-gut-microbiome-analyzed

However, I've been taking both some probiotics (the bacteria) and prebiotics (what the bacteria eat) for a few weeks now.  I've specifically been taking Bob's Red Mill Potato starch, along with certain probiotics and fermented foods.  I've also been eating green bananas and raw potato.  So far, all I've noticed is I sleep better at night (or at least I think I do), and I'm starting to have more regularity.  Other than that, I've not noticed much.  I'm going to try this routine for another month or so to see what happens.

For me, I've been trying to cure some IBS-like symptoms.  Intermittent fasting and low carb has seemed to help this quite a bit, but I'm going further to test to see if my biome was perhaps bad and could be "righted".

simoon

« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2015, 08:17 pm »
Good thread.

I eat yogurt, my girlfriend is constantly fermenting vegetables (kraut, pickles, beets, kimchi, and others), and  I supplement with Vitamin Shoppe probiototics.

All I can say, is I used to catch at least one cold a year. After starting the above regiment about 5 years ago, I haven't been sick a single day.

Call it anecdotal, or a coincidence, but I know that I will continue taking probiotics for the rest of my life.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2015, 08:25 pm »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2015, 08:36 pm »
Just curious to know if any of you that take some type of probiotic if your seasonal allergies or allergies in general decreased?