Home Theater and SP Tech Speakers

PeteG

Home Theater and SP Tech Speakers
« on: 9 Jun 2007, 01:33 am »
Lately I’ve been using a HD DVD player in my HT (7.1) so I moved my Denon 5900 in to my 2ch, it has good video and audio dacs and plays SACD & DVD-A. So I thought what the hell I’ll put in a little TV on the rack and watch some good DVD concerts. I really wasn’t ready for this, after 7 concerts and 5 movies I was blown away by the sound from the continuums and only using two speakers. I put in “The Fifth Element” (superbit) and it was like watching it for the first time. I couldn't imagine having five SP Tech speakers in a HT system (I think someone will soon).

Is there anyone using more than two SP Tech speakers in their HT. 

Pete

« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2007, 12:42 pm by SP Pres »

Bigfish

Re: Home Theater and SP Tech Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2007, 01:56 am »
I have Timepieces on order and expect to receive them within 3 weeks.  They will serve as my L and R main in my 5.1 HT set-up.  I am replacing a pair of Monitor Audio 9is.  The Monitors Sounded great in HT but did not sound so well for 2 channel when driven by my Denon 3806.  Now that I am driving them with Odyssey Mono SEs and a Candela they sound pretty darn good for 2 channel.  I hope all of the favorable comments about the Timepieces are accurate and I am blown away!  Anyway, the Timepieces will have to serve double duty!

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2007, 02:52 am »
I believe a full blown pair of Revelations + three Continuums is in the works for a very lucky AC member.

That will be a SOTA HT sound system!!

George

PeteG

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2007, 03:04 am »
I believe a full blown pair of Revelations + three Continuums is in the works for a very lucky AC member.

George

He is going to have a KILLER system  :thumb:. Wonder what display he'll use (projector,plasma).

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2007, 04:05 am »
I'll initially use my existing ceiling-mounted Runco 930HD crt pj!   :icon_lol:

You can my system and gallery in the links below. 

I currently use the incredible Ridge Street Audio Sason Ltd monitors for 2 channel.  They do some things that no other speaker I've ever listened to do.  I will be lucky enough to move these almost full-range monitors into my family room for a dedicated two channel system, probably SB3-to-DAC based (or maybe Modwright Transporter).

My new primary system will have a front soundstage that comprises of two Revelation MR-1 Mk III's and one Continuum 2.5 (in horizontal center channel mode), all three having the "full monty" Ultimate Mundorf treatment, and Bob's silver/gold and copper upgraded internal and external-tether "zero resonance" wiring.  I can't wait.

The dedicated hi-rez music surrounds will be a pair of Continuum 2.5's with "almost full monty" Intermediate Mundorf upgrades and the same "zero resonance" wiring upgrades as the fronts.  These two speakers will complete my 5.1 hirez (SACD, DVD-A) surround set up, something that hasn't been timbre-matched or well integrated for quite some time (since I sold the VMPS fronts).  My 7.1 movie surrounds (side and rear dipole Alon Centris surrounds) remain the same.  I've upgraded the amps for the 2 channel and 5.1 system to be all McCormack (DNA -500, DNA-1 Deluxe, DNA-125).  The new processor for movies and bypassed 5.1 analog is the Cary Cinema 11 (ordered but not yet arrived).   My Bryston SP2 will move, once repaired by Bryston (James Tanner and co are great at customer service) to be the processor for the basement system I'm putting together for the teenagers.

The speakers are all being engineered and constructed by Bob and gang as we speak.  I expect to see the stuff trickle in later this summer.  Bob, Karsten and all the SP Tech family have been incredibly creative, honest, and forthright during this process..........  I'm geeked!   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2007, 01:36 pm by ted_b »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2007, 04:52 am »
Sounds great Ted.....enjoy !!!! :beer:

miklorsmith

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2007, 05:08 am »
Pete - your setup is beautiful, nice work.

Bigfish

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2007, 12:16 pm »

George

Sounds Awesome!  I doubt the system will even need a sub for HT Duty!

I look forward to hearing about the performance of the Revelations and of the entire HT System!

Ken

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2007, 12:42 pm »
Pete,

Way to go man! :thumb: 

Ya know, it sort of boggles my mind that more folks haven't recognized the potential of our stuff for HT apps.  One look at the waveguide and the things scream..."HT!!!"  If you think about it, virtually all of our reviews have been for high-end use and in that, we've blown a lot of people away.  Obviously, that's a tough nut to crack for any speaker.  Throw them into a HT setup and you'll have the best of both worlds.  Forget about needing 2 separate systems - unless you want to keep the kids out of your room! :wink:

Bigfish,

Subwoofer?

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2007, 01:39 pm »

George

I look forward to hearing about the performance of the Revelations and of the entire HT System!

Ken

Thanks.  I am gonna use my Paradigm Servo 15 for LFE use only.  I believe the Rev's will do fine for music.  :D :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2007, 01:42 am »
Hey Pete....

I couldn't imagine having five SP Tech speakers in a HT system...

I bet you could add three of the new Mini-TP's for a nice 5 channel HT system.... :drool:

Chris

PeteG

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:23 am »
Chris,
 That's one hell'va idea. Even if someone was putting together a HT system, five mini's wouldn't be bad either.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2007, 03:01 am »
Five mini's and a little musical sub (the smallest JL Fathom, or the smaller ACI Force Xl or Axiom EP400/500) would be an incredible 5.1 hirez music surround  (and movie) system in a medium sized room.  Wow.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:06 pm »
Ted,

Funny you should mention it.  I just so happen to have a fella that's a reviewer for a major webzine that suggested doing a review on that very configuration.  We're waiting on top brass approval.

5 Mini's and a sub?  HT/music surround Nirvana! :green:  5 Mini's and an Infra-Wave?  :o :bounce:

-Bob

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2007, 01:20 am »
So now I'm thinking that my (soon to be delivered) Revelation MR-1 fronts, Continuum center and Continuum surrounds would really sound great in my 5.1 hirez surround setup with instead of my powerful, but unmatched Paradigm Servo 15 sub (lfe only, or bass mgmt for lfe and Continuums) I instead sold it and went with an SP Tech Infra-Wave Sub lined up in one of my corners.  Yes?   I mean the Paradigm Servo 15 is no slouch, but wouldn't the .1 channel (and any redirected low frequency I grabbed from the surround channels) for SACD/DVD-Audio be much better integrated into the soundfield using the same t-line approach as the Revs?  Am I overthinking this?    Am I insane!!!!!!!   :icon_twisted:

Edit:  Will the Infra-Wave sub do ok with LFE info that is as high as 110hz?
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2007, 02:08 am by ted_b »

Double Ugly

« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2007, 01:50 am »
I'd say most everyone who's heard the speed and articulation of the Revelation's T-line bass knows the answer.

Hint:  The punctuation after "Yes" should be an exclamation point.  :wink:

Got the room and want to really get crazy?  Get two.  :o

If I can find a place to build the house I want, my set-up will be almost identical to your's in a 18'x30'x10' room.  The two exceptions are -

1.  No rear Continuums (I'll use Timepieces),
    2.  I'll have two foundation-cracking Infra-Wave subs.

I'm still looking for matching amps to power it all (Klaus' offerings are looking awfully good at present), but since I've yet to find the land I want, amplification is the least of my problems.  :(

Double Ugly

« Reply #16 on: 5 Sep 2007, 02:11 am »
Didn't see the edit before I posted.

Edit:  Will the Infra-sub do ok with LFE info that is as high as 110hz?

From Bob's pinned post in the Infra-Wave:
Recommended
Crossover Freq...30Hz to 80 Hz (user discretion - can be as high as 1KHz)

I'm sure Bob can expound if/when he has time, but if he's typing, he isn't working on your speakers.  :wink:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 3 May 2008, 06:16 pm »
Well, here is my new All-SP Tech Ultimate Mundorf 5.1 system.  It consists of:
* a pair of SP Tech Revelation MR1 MK IV (my new name since the latest wonderfully musical tweeter mod was done to these, first in the US I think) with the Ulitmate Mundorf  external crossover boxes
* a center channel Continuum AD with custom stands and Ultimate Mundorf external crossover box

* a pair of Continuum AD's with custom stands and custom Intermediate Mundorf crossover boxes as music surrounds (sofa's not in the way, just looks that way; ultimately the back of the room will be on 8 inch risers that are level with the foyer entrance))

Bob and Jason are my heros!!!   They took the long 5 hr drive from LaPorte and arrived around 8:30pm last night.  After many hours of setup, tweaking, modding the Revs, polishing the cabinets, wiring the crossover-to-speaker umbilicals (Bob's custom Zero Resonance cabling used internally of course, but the external umbilicals weren't ready in time so I'll break-in the crossovers with the supplied zipcord for now), munching on pizza, Cajun wings, drinking some liquids of various toxicity..we finally got down to some listening.  First up was my very familiar 2 channel demo playlists so I could confirm that the Rev mods were indeed an improvement....and they were in spades!  Then we listened to some 5.1 Dark Side of the Moon and Beatles Love.  WOW!  First time I have 5 identical drivers, and boy does it matter.  I'm gonna demo tonight with the LFE sub out of the loop and see what the Revs do in true HT mode...I bet they hold their own.

Again, this is just a synopsis.  I'll write a full review once everything settles in, breaks in and the Zero Resonance cables arrive.

Thanks again to Bob and Jason for their products, support, and above-and-beyond customer service.  Nothing like having a speaker manufacturer that you think of as "family".  And thanks to buddy Rob for his help too.

rydenfan

« Reply #18 on: 3 May 2008, 07:36 pm »
Awesome Ted!!  :drool:

Congrats and enjoy!!

PeteG

« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2008, 01:20 am »
Looks great Ted  :thumb: