another one bites the dust

2 channel man

another one bites the dust
« on: 5 Oct 2006, 10:32 pm »
Well I asked around and from what I can tell ARAGON is gone , too bad driven into the ground by people who really never cared at
KLIPSCH . I have an ARAGON 18K and except for the fact it doesn't have a remote (big deal) it has been a reliable and a pleasure
to use. I can't wait to see them run API unto the ground next and kill off another good company :x

bacobits1

Re: another one bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2006, 10:38 pm »
I agree Aragon was nice stuff. It happened to CAL Audio too.

Den

2 channel man

Re: the death of CAL
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2006, 11:41 pm »
I agree that also was nice gear but didn't they just go broke? or were they taken over as ARAGON was by KLIPSCH and then driven into the ground ? or did they simply go out of business as the original company? .Come to think of it PARADIGM  bought SONIC FRONTIERS
and closed it. Why don't they at least sell them off to someone who actually cares and wants to keep the company in question open
I admit I am no great business mind but it look like KLIPSCH never really cared or promoted the ARAGON line I don't quite get it

bacobits1

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2006, 02:11 pm »
CAL Audio may have been broke too but they were taken over by that foolish dual VCR company.
The name escapes me. Lots of dumb moves on some of these companies.

Go Video, here is the article>http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3169/is_n1_v38/ai_20376509
It looks like Go Video  is out of business.

D
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2006, 02:29 pm by bacobits1 »

PhilNYC

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2006, 02:26 pm »
CAL Audio may have been broke too but they were taken over by that foolish dual VCR company.
The name escapes me. Lots of dumb moves on some of these companies.

Go Video, here is the article>http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3169/is_n1_v38/ai_20376509

D

I heard that most of the CAL guys ended up going to work for Adcom...

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2006, 03:27 pm »
If you have some high end audio magazines from the 1980's, take a look at who was advertising and being reviewed. I did that a while back, and was amazed at the number that are no longer around.

bacobits1

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2006, 02:44 pm »
I have a few years worth of late 70's Stereophiles too with JG Holt, them were the days. I was just contemplating getting rid of all the years I have stashed. Absolute Sound, Fi, and Sensible Sound, Geeze Audio Critic too. I like to look through them every so often. Man, things have changed.

Den

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2006, 03:02 pm »
Man, things have changed.

I agree. I still have all my Listener, Audio Review, and older Sterophile mags laying around. I go through them from time to time simply to see how things have changed in the industry since then. Other than the current Big Boys (B&W and the like) all you see anymore is one-hit-wonder Chinese manufacturers getting full page ads.
 I am even starting to miss the days of seeing Musical Fidelity on every other page in Stereophile. Sorry but I will hold strong and continue to stay dedicated to the products that have stood the test of time. Or maybe................. hell, I don't know :scratch:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2006, 04:37 pm »
audio is so overpopulated it's not funny.  90% of the companies could disappear instantly & its sum total effect on life would be about nothing.
my 2c.

amplifierguru

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2006, 07:41 pm »
Pity about Aragon.

They were quite popular here in Australia - and I would always sigh with relief when I knew the amp playoff was against one!

Serious dearth of GOOD design talent?

Cheers,
Greg

Bemopti123

« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2006, 08:27 pm »
Well I asked around and from what I can tell ARAGON is gone , too bad driven into the ground by people who really never cared at
KLIPSCH . I have an ARAGON 18K and except for the fact it doesn't have a remote (big deal) it has been a reliable and a pleasure
to use. I can't wait to see them run API unto the ground next and kill off another good company :x

I have just found out from my dealer what I have been suspecting since this Summer, Final Laboratories, the makers of the Final Music 5 and 6 battery powered amplifiers from back in 1998 are now gone. 

Before many audio companies began to ponder about the importance of the quality of power that comes from polluted sources, these people, especially since the 1970s began making isolation transformers for audio purposes and finally, battery powered amplifiers and preamplifers without using expensive rechargables but regular Dollar store batteries.  Now they are gone. 

Well, I am planning to keep my set of Final amplifiers until companies stop making carbon batteries that are needed to power them.  BTW, Final amplifiers also use Op chip in order to get their amplifier that special sound, some that I think they conceptualized and market prior to 47 Labs...Add Op chips as well as battery power and you get one visionary company. 

I hope that they will someday be resurrect in order to allow the world to see what it means to be inventive. :thumb: