Tube pre-amp impedance

bunkertoy

Tube pre-amp impedance
« on: 21 Jul 2023, 05:16 pm »
Hi all,
I was reading on a previous thread about solid state amp impedance with a tube pre amp. I do believe normally you shoot for 100 X 1 from tube pre amps. Like a 400 ohms pre amp impedance is fine with a 50K ohms solid state amp.
My Bryston 3B cubed is 50K ohms (I believe)
50k ohms for single ended, but only 10k ohms for balanced. does that mean that a tube pre with 400ohms impedance is not a match if connected to balanced ?

I was looking to match a Cary SLP-05 with my bryston 3B cubed. I really wanted to connect via balanced connections.

Can any one supply some thoughts on this match up ?

Thks in advance for your input.
Cheers

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Tube pre-amp impedance
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2023, 06:10 pm »
Ask this in the Bryston circle or email them.

Input Impedance:   Unbalanced 7.5kΩ
                             Balanced 30kΩ+ / 6kΩ-    :scratch:

10 to 1 is usually considered the minimum.

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2023, 04:06 pm »
I was looking to match a Cary SLP-05 with my bryston 3B cubed. I really wanted to connect via balanced connections.

That preamp is a fully differential design with 3 or 4 6SN7s per side, iirc; one of the most glorious sounding preamps I've heard, and Dennis Had's greatest masterpiece, imo.

400 ohms Zout is very good for a tube preamp. It will have no problem driving your 10k balanced input with 1:25 impedance ratio, as the 6SN7 tubes are somewhat decent current source.

I heard it driving 250k Zin differential tube amps. Since 3B is not a true differential amplifier then you may be pleasantly surprised hearing SLP-05 driving a similarly "ultra high end" differential amp.

bunkertoy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2023, 06:38 pm »
That preamp is a fully differential design with 3 or 4 6SN7s per side, iirc; one of the most glorious sounding preamps I've heard, and Dennis Had's greatest masterpiece, imo.

400 ohms Zout is very good for a tube preamp. It will have no problem driving your 10k balanced input with 1:25 impedance ratio, as the 6SN7 tubes are somewhat decent current source.

I heard it driving 250k Zin differential tube amps. Since 3B is not a true differential amplifier then you may be pleasantly surprised hearing SLP-05 driving a similarly "ultra high end" differential amp.

Thanks so much for you insight. That is the exact info I was hoping to find.
Cheers