entertaining review of Police concert DVD.

drphoto

entertaining review of Police concert DVD.
« on: 14 May 2010, 02:20 am »
I've become quite enamored with concert vids of late and was searching Amazon for one from the Police. I ran across this review which tickled me.

This is a killer set, well-performed, with an adoring audience, directed by Martians.

All of the Synchronicity material goes down brilliantly, from the breakneck pace of Synchronicity 1 to the jazzy, floating ambience of Tea in the Sahara. The old stuff goes down great also. They turn on the jets for Walking on the Moon, which Sting plays on an upright bass and which sounds brilliant. So Lonely sounds terrific even after all the times they'd played it before. O My God becomes De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da without missing a beat.

However, whichever village idiot directed this thing needs a new career, far, far away from an editing board. Should you choose to buy this DVD, your eyes will be treated to:

- Terrible video special effects that were clearly put in just because the technology making them possible had just been invented and the directors were extremely excited about this, and not for any reason of artistic merit whatseover apart from lending fuel to those who disparage the 80s
- Random switches in the color scheme from color to black and white, and then to blue to red to yellow tinting (because, didn't you know? blue red and yellow is the color scheme of the Synchronicity album. You didn't know? Well, we'll do it five more times and then you will know. We'll also splice in footage of fans wearing Synchronicity shirts, too, right in the middle of the songs. Because, didn't you know? It's the SYNCHRONICITY TOUR.)
- More excessive arbitrary use of slow motion than in Peter Jackson's King Kong
- Pointless swirl effects during Tea in the Sahara
- Random and extensive shots of devoted fans with bad 80s hair singing boisterously along.
- Endless closeups of the three highly unnecessary backup singers, who appear to have borrowed their costumes and dance steps from an SEC marching band.
- A Sting worshipper shrieking and then swooning during One World Not Three. And you thought that only happened at Beatles concerts.
- Virtually no footage of Andy Summers or Stewart Copeland at all during the whole concert. Now granted, given Stewart's penchant for wearing shorts so miniscule that they would make John Stockton blush, I can see where the filmmakers were coming from aesthetically (maybe the only time this is true), but the bottom line is, he's only one of the best drummers of all time. Let's see the man in action. Fortunately, four of the songs are put in as bonus tracks where you can choose from any of four camera angles, so if you want to focus on the band members playing their instruments for a change and not on hi-jinks or Sting's chin, you can do it for at least those songs.

I got this and I'm glad I did. The music's excellence, in my opinion, off-sets the horrendously dated campiness of this video. It's just a shame, because it didn't have to be this way. After all, the same year as this came out, Jonathan Demme was directing the brilliant rock video Stop Making Sense for the Talking Heads. Maybe Demme can get access to the raw, unedited and unspoiled footage of this show someday and do it properly.

Funny stuff IMHO. Dunno whether I'll spring for the disk after this!

MaxCast

Re: entertaining review of Police concert DVD.
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2010, 10:45 am »
 :D  yeah, that was pretty funny.  This is about the 10th reference to Stop Making Sence ...is it that good?

chadh

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2010, 04:18 pm »
:D  yeah, that was pretty funny.  This is about the 10th reference to Stop Making Sence ...is it that good?

Stop Making Sense is really pretty cool.  A really psychokiller show.

Friends of mine grew up in Adelaide (probably the 5th or 6th biggest city in Australia).  They used to tell me how Stop Making Sense would be shown on television in Adelaide once every year, and EVERYBODY in Adelaide would stay in to watch it.  Every year.  Obviously, these guys were deluded.  But I have no doubt the film had a big following there, and elsewhere.

It might have something to do with the big suit.

Whoa!  For a moment I was thinking that pop music used to be so much more interesting than it is now.  But then I remembered Bananarama and realized I was wrong.

Chad

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2010, 04:31 pm »
The good drphoto got me started on music vids, "Stop Making Sense" is one of the top three for me, I'm a Steely Dan fan so "Two Against Nature" is my fav, with Pink Floyds "Pulse" an extremely close second....I've seen some real clunkers also that shall remain nameless.. :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2010, 04:50 pm »
On a tangential note, my favorite concert video is an early set from The Police played at a college called Hatfield Polytechnic when they just released Regatta de Blanc.  Here's Roxanne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b58b0mvUaxU

Do a YouTube search on "The Police Live Hatfield" to see more videos from the concert...

nathanm

« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2010, 10:38 pm »
I love finding great writing in reviews!  This is just one from my personal archive:  No, I wasn't shopping for a David Hasselhoff album myself, honest!  The guy had just written another review I liked and I found this one as well.

Looking for Freedom
David Hasselhoff is my personal God, September 27, 2001
David Hasselhoff's legend has no bounds. He has replaces Howard Stern as the King of All media. I wasn't expecting too much when I picked up the album on Amazon. To be honest, I only bought it because I loved the pants he's wearing on the album cover and I thought I could hang the jewel case on my bedroom wall.

If you want to hook up with some booty this album is required background music. DH is da man!!! I've never been so fly with the ladies as I am now that I have Hasselhoff's latest masterpiece flowing from the speakers of my Chevy Cavalier station wagon.

In short, if you like great music and you want to be attractive to the opposite sex you must buy this album.