New, High Power Version of the "Digital American" released

Triode Pete

Triode Wire Labs is happy to announce the new release of a "High Power" version of the "Digital American" power cable.

Where the original "Digital American" was designed for lower current drawing sources, such as SACD / CD players, DACs, DVD / Blu-ray players, audio and video servers, etc., the new "High Power" version is more adept for higher power demanding audiophile gear, such as amplifiers and power conditioners, especially in areas where higher amounts of EMI / RFI are present.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Pete

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: New, High Power Version of the "Digital American" released
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2014, 03:38 pm »
    Looks like our Arion Class "D" amps are going to as happy as my CDP.

charles

mdconnelly

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2014, 06:45 pm »
I've had the very good fortune of using Pete's low power and high power Digital PCs in my system over the last month.   Since this thread is about the high-power version, that's where I'll focus first...

I picked up a very impressive NAD M2 integrated a few months back that I first demoed using a  TWL 8+ power cord.  Afterward, I tried a few other power cords I'd had and was quite surprised how much of an influence the power cord had on this integrated.  Seems that some components respond to power cords more than others and it was clear to me that the TWL 8+ made a very positive difference.   I then heard about Pete's new Digital PCs and asked to try them.  When I got the high power version on the NAD, I was quite taken by it.  Not only was it a great match, but seemed to be a step up from the 8+ as well.  After just a few days of listening I told Pete he wasn't getting it back.  I guess you could say it does what all of Pete's TWL power cords do... enabling a wonderfully relaxed and well defined musical presentation that's just full of toe-tapping PRAT.   The Digital high-power did all that with the NAD yet seemed to add a greater sense of black background contributing to what I feel was a better defined and open soundstage that was just easier to hear into.  I don't know what fairy dust Pete uses on these, but it's working for me.

A quick note on the low-power version...  I swapped a 10+ TWL power cord that was feeding my Oracle CD transport with the low-power version of the Digital.   To be honest, I didn't expect much since this transport has always seemed a bit impervious to changes in power cords.  But damn if it didn't take the CD transport up a notch as well in the same manner.  Quiet and relaxed but offering up all the dynamic fireworks the CD had available.  Perhaps there was a contributing synergy since I tried this while the high-power Digital was on the NAD as well.   To be honest, I don't spin CDs much anymore so I really wasn't thinking of buying yet another power cord for that purpose.  But damn...

I should add, from an appearance standpoint, these cables are quite stunning... I love these new terminations.   And like all TWL cords, they are extremely flexible.  The only difference I can see and feel between the high and low power is the gauge of the wire.  The high-power is definitely thicker.

Congrats Pete and thank you for the chance to check these out.

Mike

kenreau

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2014, 07:32 pm »
This looks like a great new product.  I just picked up a Devialet 200 which sounds like a good match for this cable. 

I previously fed my preamp, dac and mac mini into a Running Springs Audio Haley power conditioner and the amp straight into another outlet.  With this Digital American cable, Should I still plug it into my RSA Haley?

Thx
Kenreau
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2014, 08:35 pm by kenreau »

Triode Pete

« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2014, 02:49 pm »
This looks like a great new product.  I just picked up a Devialet 200 which sounds like a good match for this cable. 

I previously fed my preamp, dac and mac mini into a Running Springs Audio Haley power conditioner and the amp straight into another outlet.  With this Digital American cable, Should I still plug it into my RSA Haley?

Thx
Kenreau

Hi Kenreau,
I have made several "Digital American" power cables for Devialet owners in France. One design aspect is that the Devialet C13 IEC opening is very low & close to the surface it rests on and requires a special C13 connector. Normal audiophile-grade connectors are too large and interfere with the clearance opening (and won't fit correctly). I've sourced a special C13 connector from Germany that fits very well and also sounds great!

Yes, you can still plug it into the RSA Haley; it will do "no harm" to the sonics...

Cheers,
Pete

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2014, 04:28 pm »
  After extensive listening we have found that for digital sources using a conditioner of any kind so far. Sonics are affected. Mostly a loss of dynamics and more Hi Fi sounding.  If the conditioner does not have a dedicated digital outlet [ or does ] try connecting the digital straight to the wall with TWL Digital American" All other components still connected to RS.
  We use multiple Uberbusses and recently discovered that the digital source suffered from the Buss. Now using two Ubers for analog one for Preamp, one for amps and BSG QOL. Excellent results for us.
   Never thought digital would sound more alive without the Uberbuss. BTWif you have a chassis ground lift switch on your digital gear release the chassis from ground. DO NOT use any cheater plugs to defeat mains ground.

charles

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2014, 04:32 pm »
  After extensive listening we have found that for digital sources using a conditioner of any kind so far. Sonics are affected. Mostly a loss of dynamics and more Hi Fi sounding.  If the conditioner does not have a dedicated digital outlet [ or does ] try connecting the digital straight to the wall with TWL Digital American" All other components still connected to RS.
  We use multiple Uberbusses and recently discovered that the digital source suffered from the Buss. Now using two Ubers for analog one for Preamp, one for amps and BSG QOL. Excellent results for us.
   Never thought digital would sound more alive without the Uberbuss. BTWif you have a chassis ground lift switch on your digital gear release the chassis from ground. DO NOT use any cheater plugs to defeat mains ground.

charles
So you think digital sounds better without the Uberbuss? 

Isn't the chassis ground lift switch eliminating the ground from the mains? 

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2014, 04:34 pm »
Strange... Quite the opposite effect here. QUITE!
If the ground lift only lifts the signal ground, then this is typically OK, leaving the chassis ground in play still. My DAC has the option to lift the signal ground on the analog output, but I am transformer coupled after the DAC. This isolates so no real need to lift the DAC ground.

Maybe it is possible that the Digital TWL with the UberBUSS is what is causing this result.

kenreau

« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2014, 05:03 pm »
I'll try it plugged in with and with out the RSA to see what it sounds like.

Sorry to take this thread off on a tangent.  Feel free to move it. 

Regarding lifting the chassis ground, I watched a YouTube video yesterday with a guy (can't recall his name) that apparently worked with Mararantz in developing their semi-recent reference line of gear.  He had a noise sniffer electronic device he used to demonstrate two things;

One, he used a (loose) copper collar ring around the IEC power plug going into their SACD player.  Without copper collar = noise, with copper collar = no noise.  His point was IECs are not typically shielded and are a source of potential noise interference.   

Two, he ran a dedicated chassis ground wire from the SACD player ground lug (on back) into a male electrical plug and installed it in the power conditioner.  Noise before.  Dead quiet with chassis grounded. 

I started out looking in to the Entreq grounding devices and stumbled on to the above YouTube clip.   I'll search this weekend to see if I can find it again.

Kenreau

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2014, 05:04 pm »
    No not the TWL cords. Without the Uber using either a TWL 7+ or Digital PC we conclude it was the Uber. Please be reminded I rep dave's product line and was taken back with what we experienced. Does it fit all ? Do not know. However with two different systems the same result so far.
   The Minibuss however for digital as it does not have the brick filter just may be ticket for digital. Or the Mini plugged into the Uber. We shall find out. Fun fun fun no debates just experimenting.

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2014, 05:12 pm »
Strange... Quite the opposite effect here. QUITE!
If the ground lift only lifts the signal ground, then this is typically OK, leaving the chassis ground in play still. My DAC has the option to lift the signal ground on the analog output, but I am transformer coupled after the DAC. This isolates so no real need to lift the DAC ground.

Maybe it is possible that the Digital TWL with the UberBUSS is what is causing this result.

Paul, not the PC., the Uber. Tried with several PC's of different design. It was consistent. Loss of dynamics. We are puzzled as we used the Ubers for our shows with digital plugged in. Sounded wonderful so we never tried any other way. Results may vary as the power supplies in ones digital may have enough filtering already. Digital gear used was a CEC 01 dedicated transport and Weiss Medea DAC. The other a Plinius CDP as transport and EE supreme DAC [ Killer BTW ].
    Just throwing this out there to see what others experience, no wars :D

charles

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2014, 09:06 pm »

charles
Hmmmm.  Very interesting because one of the major strengths of the Uber is the way it treats digital.  Of course every system and piece of gear is different as well as every system.  If I had to guess I would bet there is a Corcom electrical filter or filters in either one or both of the digital units.  Quite simply put Corcoms suck (one of the reasons I developed the BUSS- Line) for audio use in general.  Used in conjunction with the Uber there can be a high Q resonance set up between them.  Too many untuned filter poles.

YMMV...
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2015, 08:40 pm by dBe »

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2014, 01:48 am »
Not only that, I have gotten to know my Uber pretty well. It takes a lengthy amount of time to burn in, then it should be plugged in for at least a day before it comes out of hibernation from sitting for awhile.

mdconnelly

« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2015, 06:09 pm »
Just wanted to comment on using Pete's HP Digital American PC on my new Devialet 200.    If you're familar with the Devialet integrated amp, you know that its rear-cover design does not allow for the full-sized power cord IEC termination with cover attached.   As such, I had Pete reterminate my HP Digital American PC with a C13 IEC that fits perfectly. 

While he was re-terminating my PC, I just used the stock power cord provided by Devialet.  Since I initiated this right after receiving the Devialet, I had not really had a chance to hear the Digital American PC on it prior to sending it off.   But, certainly, the Devialet, even with just the stock PC provided, sounded wonderful so I was beginning to wonder just how much better it might sound with the newly re-terminated HP Digital American.   No surprise, but damn if it didn't make a big impact right from the start.  Bass seemed to go deeper with mids more richly defined.  But the biggest difference I noticed was that it further opened up the soundstage into the room with instruments and voices floating in black background.   There just seems to be great synergy between the Devialet and this power cord.  Highly recommended.

FWIW, I also use an UberBUSS and still prefer the HP Digital PC plugged into the Uber rather than directly to the wall.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2015, 08:42 pm »
Mike, how has your line DC problem ben this year.  I will have an answer for that in the next couple of months.

mdconnelly

« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2015, 09:08 pm »
Mike, how has your line DC problem ben this year.  I will have an answer for that in the next couple of months.

Dave, it's still there and varies a good bit.  Fortunately, it's hardly noticeable most of the time.  But occasionally, it can get quite bad - a very noticeable buzzing.  I suspect it's due to living in an old, downtown neighborhood where all lines are still strung up on polls.   But put me on the list for whatever that answer will be.   And thanks for thinking of me!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2015, 10:01 pm »
Dave, it's still there and varies a good bit.  Fortunately, it's hardly noticeable most of the time.  But occasionally, it can get quite bad - a very noticeable buzzing.  I suspect it's due to living in an old, downtown neighborhood where all lines are still strung up on polls.   But put me on the list for whatever that answer will be.   And thanks for thinking of me!
Always, Mike.

I thought I had a good one about 6 months ago and the parts were discontinued.  Not all high current diodes are created equal and it took a while to come up with one I will put in a P.I. ugly black box (P.I.UBB)

mdconnelly

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2015, 10:34 pm »
Always, Mike.

I thought I had a good one about 6 months ago and the parts were discontinued.  Not all high current diodes are created equal and it took a while to come up with one I will put in a P.I. ugly black box (P.I.UBB)

Hah!  Create something called a P.U.B. and put a beer tap on it and I'm all in!   

Keep us posted about the PIUBB!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2015, 11:00 pm »
Hah!  Create something called a P.U.B. and put a beer tap on it and I'm all in!   

Keep us posted about the PIUBB!
Bwahahahaha!!!!!!   :thumb:

dflee

« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2015, 12:51 am »
That is a seriously sinister laugh. I didn't know you had it in you.

Nit