Blues music only.

Captainhemo

Re: Blues music only.
« Reply #700 on: 26 Aug 2014, 02:42 am »
Rockadanny, great posts man,  you've  put me onto  lots of great albums  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2014, 05:09 am by Captainhemo »

rockadanny

« Reply #701 on: 26 Aug 2014, 01:01 pm »
 8)  You're welcome Cap'n.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #702 on: 26 Aug 2014, 01:43 pm »

I find it amazing that these veterans of pre-WWII blues retired, became church organists and choir directors then some 20 yrs or so later come back and don't miss a beat.
Doc
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2014, 02:51 pm by Devil Doc »

rockadanny

« Reply #703 on: 26 Aug 2014, 06:26 pm »
Agree Doc. The folk/blues revival of the 60s had them coming out the woodwork. Thank God!  :thumb:

rockadanny

« Reply #704 on: 26 Aug 2014, 06:31 pm »
one of my favorites did just that

Bio from Wiki -
In the mid-1920s, Davis migrated to Durham, North Carolina, a major center for black culture at the time. There he taught Blind Boy Fuller and collaborated with a number of other artists in the Piedmont blues scene including Bull City Red. In 1935, J. B. Long, a store manager with a reputation for supporting local artists, introduced Davis, Fuller and Red to the American Record Company. The subsequent recording sessions marked the real beginning of Davis' career and are available in his Complete Early Recordings. During his time in Durham, Davis converted to Christianity; in 1937, he would be ordained as a Baptist minister. Following his conversion and especially his ordination, Davis began to express a preference for inspirational gospel music.

In the 1940s, the blues scene in Durham began to decline and Davis migrated to New York. In 1951, several years before his "rediscovery", Davis's oral history was recorded by Elizabeth Lyttleton Harold (the wife of Alan Lomax) who transcribed their conversations into a 300+-page typescript.

The folk revival of the 1960s re-invigorated Davis' career and included a performce at the Newport Folk Festival and having Peter, Paul and Mary record his version of "Samson and Delilah", also known as "If I Had My Way" which is originally a Blind Willie Johnson song that Davis had popularized. Eric Von Schmidt credits Rev. Davis with three quarters of Schmidt's Baby Let Me Follow You Down which Bob Dylan covered on his debut album for Columbia. Blues Hall of Fame singer and harmonica player Darrell Mansfield has also recorded several of Rev. Davis' songs.

Davis died in May 1972, from a heart attack in Hammonton, New Jersey. He is buried in plot 68 of Rockville Cemetery in Lynbrook, Long Island, New York.

rockadanny

« Reply #705 on: 26 Aug 2014, 10:00 pm »

10-song collection highlights his work for Chess from 1960 through 1964. Guy is in his prime as a player and singer, and the sterling supporting cast includes longtime partner Junior Wells, Otis Spann, and Fred Below.

rockadanny

« Reply #706 on: 26 Aug 2014, 10:03 pm »

An album of Tom Waits songs performed by veteran bluesman John Hammond. That basically sums up what Wicked Grin is all about; only one song on the album, the traditional "I Know I've Been Changed," wasn't written by Waits. This gorgeous recording should appeal to fans of both artists: Waits's songwriting is as incisive as ever, and Hammond explores each song to its fullest potential as he makes it his own. Waits produced the album as well. Between them, the two musicians achieve a kind of synthesis that makes for a damn fine collection.

Captainhemo

« Reply #707 on: 27 Aug 2014, 07:49 pm »

Aron Burton   -   Past, Present, & Future   '93
Samples

rockadanny

« Reply #708 on: 27 Aug 2014, 10:21 pm »

From AMG - All 14 of Bukka White's legendary Vocalion recordings. Kicking off with his lone 1937 single of "Pinebluff, Arkansas" and "Shake "Em on Down," the set continues with the marathon 12-song session from 1940 which produced such classics as "Sleepy Man Blues," "Parchman Farm Blues," "Fixin' to Die Blues," and "Bukka's Jitterbug Swing." This is personal blues, hitting on a number of subjects usually too stark for blues lyrics, but all on open-wound display here.

Devil Doc

« Reply #709 on: 27 Aug 2014, 11:14 pm »

Muldaur's tribute to Memphis. On a personal note I have tickets to see her in Oct. For over forty years I've always been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm finally going to see her.
Doc

rockadanny

« Reply #710 on: 28 Aug 2014, 03:07 am »
Loved her DD when I saw her a few years ago. Bet you will too!  :thumb:

rockadanny

« Reply #711 on: 28 Aug 2014, 03:12 am »

Awe-inspiring power recorded on this live 1974 NY set.
Blasted this on the way home from work tonight - top down of course. I figured it'd scare the deer away from the road.

richidoo

« Reply #712 on: 28 Aug 2014, 04:36 am »
Anybody seen the recent baseball TV ad with Charlie Parker playing a blues ballad? The music is the star of the ad, it plays in the foreground for solid 10 seconds before the announcer chimes in and continues for the whole ad. The theme is "Got the blues" or something like that. I think it was on Fox broadcast 8/26. The only time you hear great jazz on TV now is when they are trying to sell you something. Jazz sells. But it's great to hear Bird playing in the foreground in primetime on Fox broadcast, during "So you think you can dance," I think

Captainhemo

« Reply #713 on: 28 Aug 2014, 05:15 am »

Muldaur's tribute to Memphis. On a personal note I have tickets to see her in Oct. For over forty years I've always been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm finally going to see her.
Doc

Enjoy Doc   :thumb:

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #714 on: 30 Aug 2014, 12:53 am »
The James Cotton Band  ~  100% Cotton

Buddah

Captainhemo

« Reply #715 on: 30 Aug 2014, 01:20 am »

Maria Muldeur   -   Live In Concert   '08
Samples

Listened to "Meet Me at Midnight"  ealier too,  thanks  Doc  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 3 Sep 2014, 05:11 pm by Captainhemo »

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #716 on: 30 Aug 2014, 01:35 am »
Johnny Winter

Columbia

Devil Doc

« Reply #717 on: 30 Aug 2014, 01:36 am »
Your welcome. She describes her voice as once being flute like, and boy it was. Just listen to her early recordings. She sounds like a wood thrush. Now she says it's more like a saxophone.

Doc

Captainhemo

« Reply #718 on: 30 Aug 2014, 01:58 am »
Your welcome. She describes her voice as once being flute like, and boy it was. Just listen to her early recordings. She sounds like a wood thrush. Now she says it's more like a saxophone.

Doc

I'll be checking more of her albums out,  very  nice
Listening to the one  I posted above,  I can  hear nints of the  "flute like"  voice at times, will hve to try an ealy album next.    The  great thing about  streaming services really lets you find the albuims you like before  buying  and the SQ seems to be getting better all the time

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #719 on: 30 Aug 2014, 02:10 am »
Savoy Brown  ~ Street Corner Talking

Parrot