New review of the Tekton Lore

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room

Rclark

Re: New review of the Tekton Lore
« Reply #21 on: 28 Mar 2012, 06:47 pm »
Wow, I read both of those. Seems like incredible speakers! I really like everything I've read so far. Seems like maybe the only weakness is ultra resolution, but maybe the Lore-S takes that up.  But all these reviews just make me want them badly.

Here's something interesting I came across at the bottom of that last one "Zu Audio's OMEN loudspeaker is one such speaker, though despite looking eerily similar to the M-Lore, the OMEN misses, for it costs double what the M-Lore does without providing twice the performance. Even if you customized your M-Lore to match the wood finish of the OMEN, you'd still be saving money. That, and in my opinion the M-Lore sounds a bit better. Granted, Zu Audio has a bit more "brand presence" but where it matters, sound quality, the M-Lore sounds a bit more mature, not to mention its tweeter doesn't turn violent at high volumes."

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #22 on: 28 Mar 2012, 08:25 pm »
Interesting thread.  If things work out, I'll have the Tekton Lores in the same room as my Zu Souls for a few hours this weekend.

Rclark

« Reply #23 on: 28 Mar 2012, 10:15 pm »
 Ah very cool. Looking forward to your impressions there. And yes, it seems like the Lore-S takes it up with an even fancier tweeter, hybrid aluminum/magnesium. I do like the sound of a metal dome. I'd like a review of that one, actually. The $999 Lore looks tempting too.

OzarkTom

« Reply #24 on: 29 Mar 2012, 12:09 am »
These Tekton's remind me of the Tonian TL-D1 speakers a friend of mine has. At this price of $649 for the M-Lores, they are probably the best bargain out there. A perfect amp with the Tecktons would be the $500 TBI Millenia Class D integrated amp that can run off of batteries. That TBI amp sure made the Tonians sound incredible.

Great amp and speakers for $1150. what a deal. :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #25 on: 29 Mar 2012, 12:26 am »
I gotta say, swapping back and forth between the Tekton and Zu websites, the Tekton offerings are far more attractive. Tekton has got more than a handful of varied product available between $400 and $2500, with quite a few models between 1K and 2K, and at Zu, you've got a much more limited selection, and much higher prices. Pendragon, $2500. Similar Zu, 12K  :o

I gotta think the real deal is gonna be the Tektons.

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #26 on: 29 Mar 2012, 03:27 am »
Pendragon, $2500. Similar Zu, 12K  :o

Are you comparing the Pendragon to the Zu Definition?  If so, the Definition has built-in, active subwoofers. 

Rclark

« Reply #27 on: 29 Mar 2012, 05:42 am »
Ah, did not know that. Pretty awesome then.

Æ

« Reply #28 on: 29 Mar 2012, 06:24 am »
I wonder how much it would cost someone to build their own. Nothing too complicated about them, not even a crossover (low pass) on the woofer according to the review.

wisnon

« Reply #29 on: 29 Mar 2012, 07:14 am »
Are you comparing the Pendragon to the Zu Definition?  If so, the Definition has built-in, active subwoofers.

The Dragons play outrageously loud. They have a live impact. No SW required.

Check out the reviews at www.parttimeaudiophile.com   He did extensive listening.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm by wisnon »

wisnon

« Reply #30 on: 29 Mar 2012, 07:15 am »
I wonder how much it would cost someone to build their own. Nothing too complicated about them, not even a crossover (low pass) on the woofer according to the review.

Nope, there is a lot of experience behind the design. Eric knows what he is doing.

Rclark

« Reply #31 on: 29 Mar 2012, 07:48 am »
The Dragons play outrageously loud. They have a live impact. No SW required.

The reviews on these other Tekton speakers say the same. They all agree that the bass is excellent, with a live punchy feel and a lack of strain and distortion at high volume.

I like the fact that they kind of do the opposite thing you usually see, which is to have a tweeter crossed really low. Here the driver carries most of the weight, and the tweeter takes about 5K on up. One review said this gives it near ribbon like character (the tweeter).

The drivers are cousins of bass guitar divers and I actually find that exciting. I've often wanted to hear a driver made to drive a electric guitar.

I'd love to have a speaker like this that has perhaps a real strength for rock music. I think they'd look great in the offered satin apple white.

Rclark

« Reply #33 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:10 am »
 On that second link: Ya gotta love the story of the Lore and Mr. Alexander's experience and knowledge that went into it:

Very cool that he gets in there and explains his speaker really well.

JLM

« Reply #34 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:21 am »
These Tekton's remind me of the Tonian TL-D1 speakers a friend of mine has. At this price of $649 for the M-Lores, they are probably the best bargain out there. A perfect amp with the Tecktons would be the $500 TBI Millenia Class D integrated amp that can run off of batteries. That TBI amp sure made the Tonians sound incredible.

Great amp and speakers for $1150. what a deal. :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up.   :thumb:  (Have looked at that amp and wondered...)

JLM

« Reply #35 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:27 am »
The Lore/etc. designs remind me of classic extended range drivers from ~75 years ago (no I'm not quite that old).  With the tiny tube amps available back then efficiency was paramount, so the recipe was either big horns or single 8 - 12 inch drivers that could reach 80 - 8,000 Hz. 

Add a tweeter with cap to protect it and modern materials that allow bass to extend down an extra octave and you have Tekton.  The modern alternative to extended range design uses a powered sub with a small (~ 4 inch driver).

Rclark

« Reply #36 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:32 am »
In one of the reviews there is an interview and he said he actually prefers to mate his speakers (98dB efficiency on the Lore, I believe) with very high wattage amps.

I'm thinking a pair of these with some Ncores could be really neat. You then have a speaker that barely uses any power down in the unmeasurably low distortion range of those amps and 199 more watts of headroom above that.

I bet that would come out to equal some sort of religious experience.

JLM

« Reply #37 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:56 am »
The challenges with coupling high efficiency with high power:

1. Useful range of volume control
2. Any system self-noise is easily revealed
3. Hard/expensive to find really big tube amps that sound best at lower power ratings (where most would listen) yet solid state sound best closer to their maximum power rating.

Just keep in mind that power to dB is a logarithmic relationship, so 10 times the wattage only sounds twice as loud.  This combo should help cover any musical peaks, but like most things in life the last "nth" is the most expensive/hardest.

Rclark

« Reply #38 on: 29 Mar 2012, 10:50 am »
@ 3: doesn't seem to be the case with these amps, based on reports. So far people are saying they don't impart any sonic difference or quality of sound difference at any volume level. For 2, I'm planning on balanced connections top to bottom, and getting a balanced power transformer on there. For 1, my Warpspeed passive seems to provide a good deal of range between top to bottom, maybe it can work, or if I buy a fully balanced version, I can have Alan build it with the consideration of contolling such a system.

wisnon

« Reply #39 on: 29 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm »
delete