Apple Mac mini system descriptions

EstrangedBaron

Re: Apple Mac mini system descriptions
« Reply #100 on: 5 May 2023, 04:19 pm »
My Mac Mini Audio System Description:

• Mac mini processor model: Apple M1
  • Operating system version: 13.3.1 (Ventura)
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): Internal 250GB SSD, External 1TB SSD for music
  • Internal memory installed: 16GB

• Monitor/keyboard: Headless
  • Wireless hardware: Ethernet connection
  • Software music player(s): Logitech Media Server (Using the Mac Mini as a server and a Sonore UltraRendu as the player)
  • Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc): Using NoMachine to remote into the Mac Mini from my Windows PC. I also use BetterDisplay for proper display scaling without the need for a headless HDMI adapter.

• Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Monoblock Schiit Aegirs
  • Pre amplifier: Schiit Freya+ (usually using it in solid state JFET buffer mode)
  • External DAC: Lampizator Amber 3
  • Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers: M1 Mac Mini → Ethernet Switch with SFP, powered by LPS → Optical SFP to Ethernet Converter powered by LPS → ultraRendu w/ SGC LPS → Amber 3 (USB) → Monoblock Aegirs → Zynsonix Speaker Amp to Headphones Box/Switcher → Headphones or Speakers
  • Speakers in this system: Klipsch RP600M or Susvara
  • Interconnect types between mac mini and X: LINKUP CAT8 Ethernet Cable
  • Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Installed under a desk (used a HIDEit mount) that's next to my audio rack in the listening room.

Also provide comments on these:

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system? Installed the TeraDak 12V Mac Mini LPS mod and am currently running it off of their provided LPS, may upgrade my LPS later down the line.
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? I wish iTunes natively supported FLAC files.
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ? The reliability, I haven't had a single major crash or problem using it as a server thus far. I started using it as a Roon server, and later switched to LMS. Do miss a few things about Roon so I may switch back, but LMS is free so that's nice lol.
d. Other comments: I originally considered going the Roon ROCK route and getting an Intel NUC. But since I already had the M1 Mac Mini I decided to just use that and eventually installed the LPS mod inside of it. Maybe I'll upgrade to a dedicated streamer in the future, but for now I am happy with the performance and reliability of my M1 Mac Mini.