Thank you, GeorgeAB

JakeJ

Thank you, GeorgeAB
« on: 28 May 2023, 04:39 pm »
My (new to me) VMPS 215 Subwoofer.  This one is a 15" poly driver with a 15" paper passive radiator.

I'm using one channel of a Proceed HPA2 Amp that is dual mono and has huge power trannies and weighs a bloody ton.  They were originally available in 2 & 3 channels all the same with each channel having it's own massive trannie and beefy power supply.  Rated at 250 W/ch. and doubles down into 4 ohms.  The crossover is by Energy and can handle both low level and speaker level signals and works a treat with the VMPS.  Now I just need to find another VMPS for the rear position.  :lol:  Need to con a buddy into coming over and help me lift it on top of the sub, right now it's a danger to my toes.

Thanks to GeorgeAB for selling me this jewel for a mere $100, plus he threw in a pair of the angle sided surround speaker cabinets sans drivers for free!  Not sure but I'm thinking of closing off the midrange and tweeter holes on one side, then load the other side as normal including a woofer in the bass section and then lay them on their backs with the mid and tweeters facing to me with the woofers up thus making a redneck Atmos height speaker to place either on top of the RM-40's or invert and hang the from the ceiling.  I think on their backs and reflecting off the ceiling will be better than hanging them as the angle of the driver baffles would point to a spot about 6 feet in front of my seated position.  Face up they would bounce off the ceiling about 2-3 feet in front of the RM-40's presenting a more diffuse sound.  Could be good, could be bad, I will have to experiment.

Thanks again, George!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Thank you, GeorgeAB
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2023, 05:22 pm »
Nice help from George :thumb:

kmmd

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2023, 06:39 pm »
Congrats on your VMPS sub.  George is a great guy.

Ah yes Proceed, the baby of Mark Levinson.  I remember the early 2000’s when I visited a local B&M in San Jose.  I listened to a Proceed HT system with the AVP2+6, HPA2 and 3 amps.  It floored me, but it was way out of my price range back then.  I’ve always wanted to own an HPA amp, but the weight, cost to ship and fear of damage during shipment prevented my purchase.  I do have an AMP 5 that I purchased locally for my bedroom system.

Enjoy and happy listening!

Ken

GeorgeAb

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2023, 12:56 am »
Jake,

You are most welcome. It is fitting the 215 should go with RM-30’s I sold you a few years back. The sub was purchased at the same time as the RM-30s. Thanks to Shaukat (Shauk786) who gifted the surround cabinets to me. Glad they found a good home.

Thanks for mentioning the Nelson Pass active crossover. Beyond the Nelson Pass XVR1 there was the design Nelson gifted the DIY community, the 6-24 Bi-Amp active crossover. Super elegant solution, no feedback a few FETs to maintain signal. I like my Phil Marchand active XO, but this is next level, no feedback no op-amps. I had given up as the circuit cards have been sold out for the last couple years. Your mentioning got me to check DIY Audio store and low and behold they were in stock! I purchased the last two (needed for three channels). Been doing some modifications so no variable resistors and only polypropylene capacitors. All components ordered and on their way. Totally stoked! In the words of John Lennon, “Instant Karma going to get you”. It did, in the best of ways.

Good luck on the project and I am series about making my way to your neck of the woods one of these days as I would like to audition your ATC SCM-40’s. That midrange driver is legendary and I would like to spend some time with it. 

Best

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2023, 01:17 pm »
The sub is doing great in the home theater.  Easy peasy to dial in with the Energy EAC (Electronic Active Crossover) Sub Crossover box.

I entered my email for the next round of boards.  Fingers crossed it will be before the end of the year.  Please start a build thread in the Lab circle and document your build as I'm sure I could learn a thing or two.  I will do the same for my "Redneck Atmos" speakers and other projects.  Retirement affords me the time to get projects done.  Right now I am focused on the re-assembly and testing of my GR Super V's.

George, you are welcome in my home anytime.  Lots to play with here as well.  There's the Acoustats, the Maggies, and the Super V's (soon to be completed), for open baffle types.  For cones n' domes there are the ATC's, the Big PMC's sporting the Dynaudio 3" dome midrange which I think you'd like a lot.  I also have a pair of PMC LB1i Signature studio monitors, and a pair of Bamberg one-off speakers that are quite nice.  I have a pair of original Allison One's that need the crossovers refreshed but have the excellent Roy Allison designed and made in-house dome midranges and tweeters. P.O. did have new woofer surrounds installed.  So when it comes to conventional drivers I do have an affinity for dome drivers.  Not to mention an eclectic array of electronics some of which are documented on my System page under "Retirement Bliss".  Still a work in progress.