Wood Finishing

Don_S

Re: Wood Finishing
« Reply #20 on: 6 May 2019, 06:58 pm »
Its a shame to cover the wood with equipment  :wink:

:lol:  I felt exactly the same way. I told the builder the same thing.  I left the rack naked for a day just so I could admire it.  :inlove:

mcgsxr

« Reply #21 on: 6 May 2019, 07:00 pm »
IF those are the "bad pics" that don't do it justice - you've done tremendously!

Love it.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #22 on: 6 May 2019, 07:08 pm »
Looking good!

Makes me want to build something out of Walnut.

randytsuch

« Reply #23 on: 6 May 2019, 07:14 pm »
I left the rack naked for a day just so I could admire it.  :inlove:

Be careful where you say that!   :lol:

Don_S

« Reply #24 on: 6 May 2019, 08:17 pm »
Gentlemen,

Thank you for all the kind words.  One more picture. Color matching was totally unplanned and serendipitous. Actually the Prime is slightly lighter in color.

« Last Edit: 7 May 2019, 12:12 am by Don_S »

Don_S

« Reply #25 on: 30 Aug 2019, 08:24 pm »
New but related project. I just finished making a table top and want it to come close to matching the rack. Problem is the table top is walnut I brought with me from OH a century ago. Audio rack is Claro (California) walnut.

On a test with Osmo Hardwax Oil the table top is too orange and too light. I have a coat tree made out of walnut from OH and it verifies my test findings.

I tried some Minwax "special walnut 224" stain on a test piece and it completely obliterates the grain. I thought of thinning even though the instructions say no. But paint thinner dries too fast and soaks into the wood. I am afraid it would come out blotchy.

Another thought is adding a little stain to the Osmo but I don't want to waste a bunch on tests. I have a new double-wide Claro walnut rack coming that I have to finish. I want to shift the color without losing much of the grain detail. I am afraid the goals are mutually exclusive.

Any suggestions?

Note: bottom picture is the unfinished top with a piece of Claro/Osmo on top for comparison. Table top is 1.75" thick made from gluing two 7/8" boards together. Edge came out great. Seam does not show and the grain matches.

« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2019, 02:38 pm by Don_S »

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #26 on: 31 Aug 2019, 12:54 pm »
You'll have to use Aniline wood dye rather than oil based stain to have a shot at getting them close. The water based dyes don't hide the grain. It'll take experimenting though. Here's an example supplier. You can probably YouTube how to mix/match colors.

http://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/transfast-store/

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #27 on: 31 Aug 2019, 02:20 pm »
Don, I don't see anything that looks like maple in the pics. What am I missing?

Don_S

« Reply #28 on: 31 Aug 2019, 02:44 pm »
Don, I don't see anything that looks like maple in the pics. What am I missing?

Peter, My apologies. I corrected my post. Both woods are walnut. One from OH and the other from CA. The new walnut top replaces a maple butcher block top so I guess maple was on my mind.  :duh:

My new speakers will be walnut veneer. I am hoping I don't get too much variation between my audio rack, the table top, and the speakers.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #29 on: 31 Aug 2019, 02:58 pm »
Anything with oil in it will darken with age. On the surface of it, they don't look like they would be that disparate. I agree on dye, although am not fond of water based because of grain raising.

If I had to color tabletop, I imagine I'd spray Homestead's Transtint diluted in alcohol. Really light concentration to begin.

Also, not sure about Osmo, but Waterlox has definite brown cast when viewed in the can. So it shifts color some. To my eye the yellow/brown shift does some really nice things for walnut, which can look a little gray without adding some warmth.