Hypex NCore question and answers

santacore

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #40 on: 13 Apr 2012, 02:58 pm »
I've only been following the Ncore progress at arms-length, so this may be a dumb question, but what is the state of ordering and/or the process? They show 'sold out' at the moment. Is this like the Twisted Pear stuff where you just hang out reloading the page periodically until it shows as in stock, or is there a more formal process - scheduled batches/waiting list/pre-order etc?

Yes, you need to create a username and password to enter the webshop. From there your can place you order, which essentially puts you on the list for whatever batch you fall into. Then one day you will get a memo saying they shipped.

mikeeastman

« Reply #41 on: 13 Apr 2012, 03:03 pm »
Can these amp be powered off a battery bank?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 13 Apr 2012, 03:12 pm »
I'm sure this will be the next question...

firedog

« Reply #43 on: 13 Apr 2012, 03:50 pm »
Personally emailed Hypex this week about waiting list and availability and they replied,"We deliver based on received and paid orders we have received. Indeed the next schedule for delivery is May."

In other words, they send the amps out according to the sequence of the paid orders.

Unfortunately, the in stock in "WK21" was "WK18" up until a few days ago.

wilsynet

« Reply #44 on: 13 Apr 2012, 04:01 pm »
My own amp is said to be very tubelike, it's a tripath, but even as sweet as this sounds I'd rather go for neutrality and clarity above all. Let the recording through.

Tripath amplifiers are not tube like.  They do not sound like any tubes I have ever heard, not like a a push pull EL-84, not like a SET 45, 300B, 2A3 or 421A, not like an OTL from Atma-sphere or Transcendent Sound.

And before anyone says "Well, have you heard my particular Tripath amplifier?"  I've had 3 different Tripath amplifiers in my system, from the very cheap to the most expensive.  They don't sound like tubes.

People will just use buffers I think, if they want that tube flavor.

Doubt a tube buffer will ever make anything sound like a SET 45.  Never heard one, right?

Anyway, I don't think you can make an argument that this will replace all tube based amplification.  You'll just have to let the market decide on what actually happens.

It seems clear from early reports that the NCore has a hit on their hands, but whether that means they will utterly and completely dominate the market, I think we're a long way from coming to that conclusion.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #45 on: 13 Apr 2012, 04:12 pm »
I think we're a long way from coming to that conclusion.
That's correct.  Unless people soley purchased equipment based on measurements and not subjective opinions, It will NEVER happen.  There will always be people who favor one type or the other.  At the end of the day, that's fine IMO.  There's plenty to go around for all to have some. 

sts9fan

« Reply #46 on: 13 Apr 2012, 04:13 pm »
I love Tripath but totally agree. Not tube "like" at all.

dwk

« Reply #47 on: 13 Apr 2012, 05:05 pm »
Yes, you need to create a username and password to enter the webshop. From there your can place you order, which essentially puts you on the list for whatever batch you fall into. Then one day you will get a memo saying they shipped.

Great - thanks. In other words, yes it was a dumb question :-)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #48 on: 13 Apr 2012, 05:28 pm »
This has strayed so far off the my intention of just posting a few thoughts about what I heard. Perhaps it's time to lock this one...

Nah...wait till I post some thoughts after listening.   :wink:

George

roscoeiii

« Reply #49 on: 13 Apr 2012, 05:33 pm »
With the tour of jtwrace's ncore coming up soon, perhaps a LISTENING IMPRESSIONS ONLY NCORE thread would be a good idea? We could start it by cutting and pasting from the actual impressions here and in the other ncore thread. And then let another ncore thread function for discussions of building them and other matters.

MaxCast

« Reply #50 on: 13 Apr 2012, 05:48 pm »
Hopefully this is not too far off topic...

To make an amp what parts do you get from Hypex and what parts does the builder supply?

mgalusha

« Reply #51 on: 13 Apr 2012, 05:56 pm »
To make an amp what parts do you get from Hypex and what parts does the builder supply?

Rich, from what I understand if one orders the power supply and amplifier module, you receive those, the cable to connect the two and the input cable. I have read some folks received and IEC inlet with fuse and switch but the impression was that is not true in all cases. The builder supplies everything else. Case, binding posts, input jack. I think some of the stand offs for mounting the boards are included as well but again, I'm not certain.

Mine are supposed to arrive on Monday, so I'll know more. The build will look nearly identical to the photos posted by ht_coz as I purchased the chassis from him. Or maybe not, I have some old Parasound mono blocks that I might use for chassis as I kind of like their looks better, really depends on if things would fit nicely in them.

cab

« Reply #52 on: 13 Apr 2012, 07:17 pm »
Can these amp be powered off a battery bank?

Not easily as they need several different voltages....

mikeeastman

« Reply #53 on: 13 Apr 2012, 07:22 pm »
 Cab do you know what those voltages are? I have a PI Audio buss and it can be configured to output different voltages.

Thanks, Mike

HT cOz

« Reply #54 on: 13 Apr 2012, 08:19 pm »
Why would you use a soft start with a smps?

It is a bit of massive overkill but in this case it is used as an on off switch.  Bruno had mentioned a more simple on off switch that he might create for these units. 

Thanks,
Robert

JDUBS

« Reply #55 on: 13 Apr 2012, 08:44 pm »
It is a bit of massive overkill but in this case it is used as an on off switch.  Bruno had mentioned a more simple on off switch that he might create for these units. 

Thanks,
Robert

I don't follow this.  Why can't you just use a simple, off-the-shelf, on-off switch directly with the SMPS?  Soft start doesn't add anything except more wiring.

-Jim

TomS

« Reply #56 on: 13 Apr 2012, 08:55 pm »
I don't follow this.  Why can't you just use a simple, off-the-shelf, on-off switch directly with the SMPS?  Soft start doesn't add anything except more wiring.

-Jim
The IEC I used has a built in rocker switch for the hot side AC. Easy.

Phil

« Reply #57 on: 13 Apr 2012, 10:23 pm »
For those who are interested in what the experts think about this amp topology, the latest issue of Absolute Sound has interviews with several highly regarded amp designers.  All are asked about class D (among other things) and the answers are interesting. 

Opinions range from the minority sentiment that this is promising technology, to the majority, which ranges from bad to totally damaged and will never work.   The majority say they will continue to work in their own preference (class A or tube, mostly). 

Just passing this on because my own little experiment with the latest ICEpower module leads me to believe class D shows great promise (and convinced me to purchase the Ncores without hearing them, something I've never done).  With all the different reasons to buy gear, including prestige and industrial design, however, the market is likely to remain varied.  Very much looking forward to receiving my "it has shipped" email from Hypex. 

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #58 on: 14 Apr 2012, 01:26 am »
Well this did not turn out exactly as I had planned but it's here now. Hopefully, the questions and answers can continue for all interested.

JDUBS

« Reply #59 on: 14 Apr 2012, 02:51 am »
The IEC I used has a built in rocker switch for the hot side AC. Easy.

That's exactly what my friend used for his build...just wondering if we were somehow missing something.

I'm all for overkill, but only if there is some logical reason for it.  The addition of the soft start just doesn't make any sense to me.

-Jim