Vandersteen 5A . . how good?

sunnydaze

Re: Vandersteen 5A . . how good?
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jan 2021, 07:40 pm »
All these explanations are very confusing to me, so I understand slapshot's dilemma.

Either I'm seriously dense and very mistaken, or you guys are saying this:

preamp  ====>  Vandy xover ====>  main amp ====>  speakers (with internal LF amp)

The full signal is obviously split into its LF and HF components at the xover.  But the xover output is only delivered to the main amp.  Are you guys saying that the now separate HF and LF information somehow gets delivered to the main amp together (call it a hybrid signal).......and that the hybrid signal gets delivered to the speakers by the main amp......and that there is some mechanism / circuit inside the speakers to then separate out the hybrid signal into its LF and HF constituent parts...... for delivery to the appropriate speaker sections:  HF to upper drivers, LF to internal woofer amp?

Boy, I'm really behind on the technology!    :scratch: :lol:

hi5harry

« Reply #61 on: 22 Jan 2021, 07:54 pm »
yep. exactly. the in line equalizer sends it's equalized info to your amp. the amp just sends it's signal via speaker cable to the Vandy, with a
 2 inch jumper to the bass amp in the Vandy. Just one set of interconnect cables to your amp but you do need to decide on rca or balanced interconnect.

Hikmer

« Reply #62 on: 22 Jan 2021, 07:54 pm »
All these explanations are very confusing to me, so I understand slapshot's dilemma.

Either I'm seriously dense and very mistaken, or you guys are saying this:

preamp  ====>  Vandy xover ====>  main amp ====>  speakers (with internal LF amp)

The full signal is obviously split into its LF and HF components at the xover.  But the xover output is only delivered to the main amp.  Are you guys saying that the now separate HF and LF information somehow gets delivered to the main amp together (call it a hybrid signal).......and that the hybrid signal gets delivered to the speakers by the main amp......and that there is some mechanism / circuit inside the speakers to then separate out the hybrid signal into its LF and HF constituent parts...... for delivery to the appropriate speaker sections:  HF to upper drivers, LF to internal woofer amp?

Boy, I'm really behind on the technology!    :scratch: :lol:

Think of it as an RIAA Curve for a speaker.  The signal is reduced to the Amplifier and the speaker reverses the curve to produce the bass. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #63 on: 22 Jan 2021, 08:44 pm »
Click...penny drops....I think!    :o   Thanks to you both!     :thumb:

So there is obviously a circuit inside the speaker to somehow split the "modified" signal out to LF and HF, and deliver them to woofer amp and HF drivers respectively?  Seems like the splitting part is basically being done twice.    :scratch:

Hikmer

« Reply #64 on: 22 Jan 2021, 09:03 pm »
I can't say I fully understand why this is done, just that is how it works.  You get an 11 band equalizer on each speaker to fine tune the base to your room and all I can say is it sounds pretty amazing once you dial it in. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #65 on: 22 Jan 2021, 09:26 pm »
Thanks for all the help.

Years ago I heard the Vandy 5A at John Rutan's shop in NJ and was mightily impressed.

https://www.audioconnect.com/about-us/

Slapshot

« Reply #66 on: 23 Jan 2021, 07:07 am »
I made the 5 hour drive (each way, not counting gas and food) to pick up the speakers today and all went well. VERY excited to have them home tonight with me. Beautiful Bubinga wood on these. And the surface is textured, a sort of crinkling that even adds to the look.

Granted, after a brief glance at the manual (it has been a very long day) and all the previous comments, the setup on these seems pretty daunting. And I say that as someone who has successfully assisted and or set up at least a dozen speakers, of numerous brands, in the past.

Getting everything locked down and optimized looks like  serious challenge, but, also clearly worth it in the end.

Thanks to everyone for the explanations and assistance thus far in the process. Now I just have to wait for the single ended M5HP external high pass filters to arrive from Switzerland. I had to order them, as my equipment is single ended, and the speakers I purchased came with the XLR versions of the M5HP. Hopefully I can sell that and recoup that additional expense. I also need to quickly get in an order for the appropriate length of bi-wired cables, as I have nothing the right length, and every speaker I have is either terminated in bananas or spades too large to fit the terminal connections on the back of the 6a's. So, much as it will be painful, there will be a substantial delay before I can even start on this. :(

Big Red Machine

« Reply #67 on: 23 Jan 2021, 12:39 pm »
Silversmith Fidelium sc's. Thank me later.

audiojem

« Reply #68 on: 23 Jan 2021, 03:32 pm »
Just wondered if you ever found out how old these actually are?
They look beautiful.
I have Treo CT's and fell in love with them.
Enjoy

Slapshot

« Reply #69 on: 23 Jan 2021, 08:48 pm »
Just wondered if you ever found out how old these actually are?
They look beautiful.
I have Treo CT's and fell in love with them.
Enjoy

Thanks, they really are quite stunning, especially in person. I did check with Vandersteen, and discovered my pair were made in December of 2006.

Slapshot

« Reply #70 on: 23 Jan 2021, 08:53 pm »
It appears that the standard spade connectors on speaker cables are, in general, too large for use with the 5a's. We checked two pairs of my existing cables, and two pairs of my friends (which he brought over earlier). All of the spade connectors were too large to fit the available space at the back of the speakers.

Which raises a serious question, which good quality (affordable) brands of speaker cables use spades that will fit?

kingdeezie

« Reply #71 on: 23 Jan 2021, 09:09 pm »
It appears that the standard spade connectors on speaker cables are, in general, too large for use with the 5a's. We checked two pairs of my existing cables, and two pairs of my friends (which he brought over earlier). All of the spade connectors were too large to fit the available space at the back of the speakers.

Which raises a serious question, which good quality (affordable) brands of speaker cables use spades that will fit?

I think Anti-cables sells speaker wire with smaller spades. Morrow and Triode Wire Labs could probably custom build something to satisfy the requirement as each cable is built to order.

WGH

« Reply #72 on: 23 Jan 2021, 09:36 pm »
Spades as per Richard Vandersteen:
7/16 " MAX WIDTH, 3/16" ID. (#10 screw)

https://www.vandersteen.com/support/ask-richard

JackD

« Reply #73 on: 24 Jan 2021, 02:10 am »
A good basic set of cables to start with are the Signal Cable Ultra's.  An 8 ft. bi-wire set is around $225 and Frank has the small spades used for Vandersteens.  Most cable manufacturers have them to use as they are easy to get from Audioquest, Vampire, Cardas and other connector suppliers. 

Slapshot

« Reply #74 on: 24 Jan 2021, 07:14 pm »
A good basic set of cables to start with are the Signal Cable Ultra's.  An 8 ft. bi-wire set is around $225 and Frank has the small spades used for Vandersteens.  Most cable manufacturers have them to use as they are easy to get from Audioquest, Vampire, Cardas and other connector suppliers.

Great information. Thanks!

Slapshot

« Reply #75 on: 28 Jan 2021, 05:57 pm »
Does anyone know where the Vandersteen CD used for setting up speakers can be gotten? Their site has a download, but I have no means of getting that download to my system.