Am I going crazy?

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Am I going crazy?
« on: 20 Aug 2022, 06:00 pm »
So I don't know if other people have noticed and experienced this, but I have found a good amount of recordings where the mix is flipped L-R. I noticed it particularly with drums where the main snare & high hat would be located left of center and the fills would roll from left to right. At first I had to double check my cabling to make sure I didn't mix it up. It has popped up on 5 or 6 albums that I've noticed so far. I really couldn't imagine a sound engineer letting it slip past, but who knows if the rock n roll lifestyle migrated into the mixing room as well  :lol:. I have found that foobar makes it pretty easy to flip the channels but it is just something I found to be odd on several occasions now, and each one makes me second guess my setup. Have you guys found something similar before?

-Lloyd

Mag

Re: Am I going crazy?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2022, 12:38 am »
   Can't say that I noticed any flips. I have Made in Japan 25th Anniversary Edition where the soundstage for Ritchie Blackmore's guitar is more centered whereas the original IIRC the guitar is off to the right. In-a-godda-da-vida is something similar. Let's see I also have ELP- Show That Never Ends remastered, off hand I only recall that the bass is better than the original.
Oh and I have the original Made in Japan Concert recordings which sounds more raw and unprocessed.

So you know this is one reason stereo will never sound like the real thing, because the soundstage is artificially create. That's why I usually say the Home Stereo can mimic the real thing. The biggest difference having attended The Tea Party concert at a local Club and then playing their Blu-ray when I got home is the scale of the live event and the SPL. So at home the scale is smaller and if I crank the volume, it sounds pretty live like (like the real thing) to my ears. :smoke:

AllanS

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2022, 02:27 am »
  Make room on the bus if you’re going crazy ‘cause you’ll have company.  I can’t recall where I heard it but I do remember hearing piano in a recording recently that only made sense if mic’d from behind.  The right hand came out of the right speaker and the left out of the left.
  I have the Eagles “Hell Freezes Over” Blu-ray so I know Joe Walsh and Don Felder are on the right hand side of the stage from the viewer perspective.  I’ll hear “Hotel California” on streaming services where their parts are coming from the left speaker.  Maybe they were staged differently for the audio recording but it drives me bonkers every time I hear it.

VinceT

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2022, 03:50 am »
I hear it quite often, must be a lot of left handed drummers.

I play drums so it's something I pick up on pretty quick

The piano one, I have to listen for that more

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2022, 09:40 am »
I read somewhere that 'Santana Abraxas' was released with the channels flipped. Don't know if any later releases corrected this or not.

This is easily remedied on digital rips using software like the free Audacity to flip the channels. You can even play those old Beatles records backwards if you want to.

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2022, 03:11 pm »
Yes, you are. The details and recording choices have gotten in the way of your music enjoyment.

I would like to listen to Leonid and friends play Chicago covers.  However, I hear the CDs are terribly recorded.  So I didn't even bother buying them.

We are all crazy in this hobby.  However, I don't apply poor recording as a blanket choice for the entire music industry.  If you could cite more than two or three examples out of the millions of new songs that have been produced this year, I might understand this as a trend.