Interesting article on music perception

Yog Sothoth

Interesting article on music perception
« on: 23 Mar 2022, 04:03 pm »
 I found this article interesting.

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/neuroscience-of-imagined-music

My main takeaway is that people are really cheating themselves out of musical perception and interpretation by listening using such crappy sound reproduction devices and compression techniques!

ric

Re: Interesting article on music perception
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2022, 02:20 pm »
I don't know about the quality part of musical reproduction, but it is interesting to me that the blues, or jazz, use the "blue note", which to me is usually a note that you don't expect to hear, but when you do, although it comes out of left field, it sounds right! So, it may be, that music becomes more musical when there is that degree of expectation and when a musical note or passage thwarts that expectation (in a pleasant way), voila, that was cool!
     Avant-Garde jazz can be babbling (stream of notes, pardon the pun) and sometimes it (musical expression) feels more real when there is less of a connection to expectation, just depends on the music and the listener! Interesting article!

AllanS

Re: Interesting article on music perception
« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2022, 04:25 am »
Really interesting article.  Thanks much.  I also found it interesting they chose musicians because, unless I missed something, they didn’t say that the participants knew the imagined works.  Maybe it doesn’t matter.

I had to look up blue note, which is equally interesting.  Change up or add a couple of minor things and you create a whole new sound.