How much Music / Media do you have?

toocool4

How much Music / Media do you have?
« on: 30 Dec 2020, 11:06 am »
Looking at Elizabeth’s thread about weeding down her media collection, got me wondering how much media do the AudioCircle members have in general.

My collection is modest compared to Elizabeth’s collection.

Attached is a screen shot of my database of music, Double albums / Boxset’s ect are counted as one.
Just under 2TB on NAS Server but I never really play the music from the NAS.

dpatters

Re: How much Music / Media do you have?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2020, 12:08 pm »
1500 CDs
500 LPs

Don P

Craig B

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2020, 12:42 pm »
I don't keep count, other than to say I built CD storage cabinets 8 or 10 years ago that accommodate almost 1800 jewel cases, and it's overflowing by a substantial number. And I have an uncounted number of LPs too, as well as probably 10 or 15 large-format CD issues that don't fit the drawers (box sets, odd size cases, etc.). And probably several hundred purchased downloads.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2020, 01:27 pm »
I don't keep count either.  I try to buy downloads where possible as I keep physical discs in cabinets in a closet and I don't really have tons of space left (and will likely sometime in the near future have to figure out to do about the problem).  I'd imagine in total, I have about 60,000 song files, give or take.  I also keep my old DVDs in the same closet in a cabinet and I probably have about 600 of them (the only discs I keep out are either Blu-Rays or UHD discs and I probably have over 200 of them) and at some point I'll go through those and probably get rid of video items I don't anticipate watching again to free up some additional space as not everything is available for download in a file format.

Phil_S

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2020, 02:17 pm »
I have about 37 feet of LP's, approx. 2,500.  Several hundred CD's, and probably 200 cassets.  In the process of evaluation and weeding out music I no longer care for.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2020, 02:40 pm »
CD's 3-4 hundred.  Vinyl about 3000.  I need to get rid of about 1/3 of each. 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2020, 03:06 pm »
Vinyl - more than 3,000 but less than 3,500 including box sets
CDs - between 1000 and 1200
Cassettes - about 100-125, all home made from LPs using a Nakamichi 700 ZXL
45s - about 250
Concert DVDs/Blu Rays - about 40

MttBsh

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2020, 04:00 pm »
LPs - had hundreds, gave them away
Cassettes - had hundreds, tossed them out
CDs - probably 300
Albums and downloads on hard drives - around 5000
I have a streamer that allows me to select any of those files from a 6TB hard drive, or Qobuz for new releases or anything else I don't have.
Physical media just takes up too much room, is far less convenient to use, and my system has never sounded better.

Theronbo

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2020, 05:02 pm »
What I have?

Or what I listen to?

I use Tidal & YouTube for streaming...

Don’t really mess with physical media... perhaps I’ll build my own filer someday.

I still subscribe to Apple Music... but only use it for browsing... when I use it at all.

I’ve noticed ALL the streaming services have improved their data & sampling rates lately.

onethousandanswers

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2020, 09:07 pm »
LPs ~300 (trying to downsize)
CDs ~2500 (definitely working to downsize)
FLACs ~100 (working for better integration into system)

The ease and quality of streaming has definitely tilted the led to an overall reduction in my physical collection (keeping favorite and highest quality).

toocool4

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2020, 09:51 pm »
Cassettes - about 100-125, all home made from LPs using a Nakamichi 700 ZXL

vinyl_lady Do you still have you 700ZXL? That’s one big monster deck, I have a CR-7 and it still gets used daily.