How many Gigs on your Smart Phone?

Mag

How many Gigs on your Smart Phone?
« on: 13 May 2023, 02:28 pm »
   How many gigs of data usage do you find sufficient for your Smart phone?
I had 5G usage at high speed but used that up in a couple of days. So I bumped 'er up to 25G at $100 a month with $20 discount using my owned phone. Hoping that'll be sufficient for a month, I suspect though it will run short a couple of days.

JCarney

Re: How many Gigs on your Smart Phone?
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2023, 02:50 pm »
We switched to Consumer Cellular about 2 years ago, and are completely satisfied with it. We have family all over the country and we actually visit them. :lol: It works everywhere we have been in the US. Unlimited data, talk, and text, two phones $61.75 a month before goofy fees and taxes. Even then, the total for two phones per month is $78.86. Damn hard to beat.

JCarney

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 13 May 2023, 06:12 pm »
  No, I'm referring to High Speed usage. Like data will transfer at High Speed until you use up what you are paying for. Once used up your High Speed data, usage will revert to a slower data speed, probably 3G.
  I have unlimited data, talk, text, I can be anywhere in the Province on my job/phone and have High Speed connection. What uses up data fast is listening to Amazon Hd music. Watching videos like Youtube or movies on Prime will use data fast too.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2023, 06:55 pm »
I guess your needs depends on you habits.  Movies on a phone?  Not my idea of entertainment.  But my phone can actually go for a day or two without being used.  Most folks don't let 30 minutes go by without using their phone.   

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2023, 07:42 pm »
  Call me spoiled, but I just bumped my Smart Phone Plan to 50 gigs usage for an extra $10 at just under $80 a month. With 15 days to go on this month's billing period I've already used up 20 gigs. So it's obvious I'm going to run out at the current rate.
  My main usage is listening to Amazon HD on my mobile app. Being an audiophile I have to have the best in sound and IMO at high speed there is no depreciation in sound quality using my Ear Buds. The sound quality IMO is as good as it gets.
  My JBL's work good while on the job. The Ambient Noise feature allows me to hear road noise if I don't have the volume too loud. I can also answer the phone when called by dispatch with two taps on the Ear Bud. Whipping out the phone could land me a hefty ticket for distracted driving and also grounds for termination from my job. :smoke:

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2023, 09:42 pm »
--- Update ---
  After changing my Smart Phone plan to max 50 gigs. I came in at 47 gigs of usage after 1 month of usage. This is primarily listening to Amazon HD while I drive during work. Which can be anywhere from 3 to 8 hours during a working session.
  Now I estimated my new Cell Plan would be just under $80 cdn but the Bill was $127 cdn, not sure why, but there could have been admin fees as I changed my Plan twice. Will definitely be phoning to complain if Fee is still $127 cdn next month.
  This leads me to believe that Mobile Service Fees are hosing us Canadian consumers big time. Because if I wanted to use my Smart Phone more than I do, I would easily use over 50 gigs. However when I'm at home I switch to my Home based computer for listening to music and other usage, which is another $150 cdn for Cable Service & internet & Land Line phone.
  So I think us Canadians are taking it up the tail pipe. We need to demand that Mobile Services at least give us more Gig usage for what they are charging. Not gonna taking it lying down. :thumbdown: :rules:

toocool4

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2023, 10:22 pm »
I have 20GB of data per month for £22.50 that’s about $38 CDN. I can’t even use all that data per month.
I guess since I keep my music well away from my phone, I don’t have data issues. I use a dedicated music player, but I do watch the odd YouTube vid.
I would be horrified to pay the amount of money you pay for your phone per month.

The solution to your issue would be to download your music and not stream it.
This is more about me, but I don’t understand why people want to rent their music rather than buying and owning their own physical media.

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2023, 11:12 pm »
I have 20GB of data per month for £22.50 that’s about $38 CDN. I can’t even use all that data per month.
I guess since I keep my music well away from my phone, I don’t have data issues. I use a dedicated music player, but I do watch the odd YouTube vid.
I would be horrified to pay the amount of money you pay for your phone per month.

The solution to your issue would be to download your music and not stream it.
This is more about me, but I don’t understand why people want to rent their music rather than buying and owning their own physical media.

I'm answering based on my limited knowledge and as I understand it. As for Amazon HD, to download my Playlists would take up more memory on my Smart Phone than I want to use. Being an Audiophile I have to have the best connection speed, Standard will not do. Now if you are able to use WiFi, usage can be reduced considerably. However since I am roaming the Province WiFi is out and I need to be connected to Cell Towers.
I have 1000's of songs at my fingertips with Amazon HD. I do however have a sizable CD collection at home, I resisted Streaming for as long as I could. However I found I was playing my favorites over n over for the umptinth time and I need new to me material. Streaming was the solution with just over a year's subscription. I like it very much, sound quality to my ears is better than my doctered recordings at the highest connection speeds. As long as I have sufficient income I will be a subscriber. I have a back up plan if the day comes I can't afford to pay. That's where my professional CD recorder will prove it's worth. :smoke:

toocool4

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2023, 12:03 am »
How much of these thousands of tracks do you listen to in full? Not sure if it applies to you or not, I travel on the train every day to and from work and I watch people with streaming devices. They constantly flick from one track to the other, sometimes only listening to seconds of a track before moving onto the next. I call this having too much choice and then they end up listening to nothing in particular. I think most of them have ADHD or something.
Having fewer choices means people actually listen to what they have. I personally don’t need to take my whole music collection out with me, I take out what I need for that day. I only mention this as the argument I get from people who stream is, “I have the whole worlds music collection at my fingertips” frankly I don’t need the whole worlds music at my fingertips.

When I am round at my brothers he streams and he drives me mad, he will start to play a track and he gets board and changes it to the next. Frankly I don’t care what track he is playing whether I like it or not, let it play in full then move onto the next.

At home I get out an LP play it in full and move onto the next as I have the attention span to handle a whole album, which I find most streamers don’t. Don't know if it's because, it's too easy to skip around for them.

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2023, 12:23 am »
How much of these thousands of tracks do you listen to in full? Not sure if it applies to you or not, I travel on the train every day to and from work and I watch people with streaming devices. They constantly flick from one track to the other, sometimes only listening to seconds of a track before moving onto the next. I call this having too much choice and then they end up listening to nothing in particular. I think most of them have ADHD or something.
Having fewer choices means people actually listen to what they have. I personally don’t need to take my whole music collection out with me, I take out what I need for that day. I only mention this as the argument I get from people who stream is, “I have the whole worlds music collection at my fingertips” frankly I don’t need the whole worlds music at my fingertips.

When I am round at my brothers he streams and he drives me mad, he will start to play a track and he gets board and changes it to the next. Frankly I don’t care what track he is playing whether I like it or not, let it play in full then move onto the next.

At home I get out an LP play it in full and move onto the next as I have the attention span to handle a whole album, which I find most streamers don’t. Don't know if it's because, it's too easy to skip around for them.

I'm with you on this, we're Old School. Recently however I added a bunch of albums to my Amazon HD Playlist. If a song comes on while driving I'll let it play for a bit, if I don't like the song structure or subject matter or it's recorded too loud for my set volume while driving, I'll switch it out. For the most part I listen to whole songs that are on my Playlists being pre-approved.
  All the vans that I drive have built in CD players. So usually I brought 3 CD's to play during a shift. I went through four of my spools pretty quick. What changed this for me is that occasionally I have to answer the phone while driving. Pulling out your phone is a $500 fine for distracted driving. So now I wear ear buds cause I can answer the phone while driving. And if I'm going to wear ear buds I may as well Stream while I'm at it. :lol:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2023, 02:10 am »
I had a blessing in disguise a few years back when updating phones & providers. The only Samsung S10+ that was available in Portland was the 1TB version. I figured even with all my music listening I would have space for ages. Yeah,.... I filled it up in a weekend. I have since slimmed it down to ONLY 650GB of music so I could make room for silly dog photos. Now days I stream some music when I get lazy, but most is locally hosted on my phone. Highly recommended for anyone valuing sound quality.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2023, 10:05 am »
This is a complete other world to mine.  I've no clue what my max data is, I'm guessing somewhere around 5 to 7GB maybe.  I never get close to using it up.  Being retired I only drive my car which has Sirius XM for music or a ten disk CD changer.  I don't have a job to go to where I might listen to music.  The most data I use is either navigation or recording bicycle rides through the Laurel Highlands where I live.  Sorry, I know this isn't pertinent to your discussion here, just nothing that there is a whole other world to needing 80gb of data.