Minimeetings at the “Sound Cocoon”

sheadlee

« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2004, 07:35 pm »
Bruno,

I'm still planning on coming over Sunday...do you need me to bring anything?

I can't stay a long time...I'm going to try to get several things done, around the Durham/Raleigh/Chapel Hill area...since I don't get over that way, very much.

I look forward to hearing your system, and seeing the 'cocoon'!

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #21 on: 17 Dec 2004, 10:48 pm »
I'm planning to make it (really) this time too.  Ditto the offer to bring whatever.

BrunoB

Meeting is cancelled
« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2004, 01:16 am »
Quote from: Inscrutable
I'm planning to make it (really) this time too.  Ditto the offer to bring whatever.

Guys,

I  have to cancel this meeting. Very sorry, I was really looking forward to it. :cry: The problem is that I damaged my left midrange driver last week while trying to "silclear" all contacts. A replacement part arrived today but does not play as loud as the old one. I don't understand why. I resoldered the connections several time but no luck.

Bruno

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2004, 11:32 am »
OK ... now we're even  :wink:
If you get lucky early today let me know ... I'll probably just be catching up on things around the house.  Steve, if you're in the neighborhood with time on your hands, feel free to pop in.

BrunoB

Update: no good news yet
« Reply #24 on: 7 Jan 2005, 06:51 pm »
A small update about the Sound Cocoon sound.

The replacement unit for my midrange quasi ribbon panel of my left speaker  does not have the right impedance. It does not play loud enough and the crossover frequency is changed.  I can still enjoy music, but the imaging is slighltly off and there are some distortions coming from the left speaker.

Unfortunately, the high impedance version of this driver is not made anymore. :(  Brian from VMPS told me that he has measured about 200 panels and the highest impedance found so far is 3.0 Ohms. He has another 600 or so on hand. I cross my fingers that he will find one. Hopefullly, I will know more after the CES.

On a more positive note, I improved the bass reproduction of my system furthermore by placing foam that adsorbs low frequencies on the ceiling and floor between the speaker and listening position.  This improves the timing and sometimes my right foot gets very tired!  :mrgreen:

Bruno

sheadlee

« Reply #25 on: 7 Jan 2005, 08:05 pm »
Bruno,

Good luck with the speakers, and let us know when you are 'happy' with the sound.

We'll have to try to get that mini-meet done some time...when you are ready!

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Re: Update: no good news yet
« Reply #26 on: 7 Jan 2005, 08:28 pm »
Quote from: BrunoB
A small update about the Sound Cocoon sound.

The replacement unit for my midrange quasi ribbon panel of my left speaker  does not have the right impedance. It does not play loud enough and the crossover frequency is changed.  I can still enjoy music, but the imaging is slighltly off and there are some distortions coming from the left speaker.

Unfortunately, the high impedance version of this driver is not made anymore. :(  Brian from VMPS told me that he has measured about 200 panels and the highest i ...

With that kind of driver the out-of-spec units will tend to have a higher impedance. The best thing to do is return your pair to VMPS and have them build a crossover using a 3 ohm set.

mikej

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jan 2005, 12:00 am »
I have been hearing of the "Sound Cocoon" for many months now and just had to audition today.  After 3 hrs, I didn't want to leave.  This is the most incredible sound I have heard and I think it is largely due to the foam surroundings.  I knew there was foam but holy shit I didn't think there would be That much foam!  Bruno, you have quite a total system there!
It's all too sad that it will be coming down soon :(  I hope you can
manage to replicate the cocoon where ever you end up.  Thanks for the audition !

BrunoB

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jan 2005, 03:55 pm »
Quote from: mikej
I have been hearing of the "Sound Cocoon" for many months now and just had to audition today.  After 3 hrs, I didn't want to leave.  This is the most incredible sound I have heard and I think it is largely due to the foam surroundings.  I knew there was foam but holy shit I didn't think there would be That much foam!  Bruno, you have quite a total system there!
It's all too sad that it will be coming down soon :(  I hope you can
manage to replicate the cocoon where ever you end up.  Thanks for the audition !

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the nice comments and also for your help with the "spaghetti tweeters" :wink: .

The replacement unit for my midrange quasi ribbon panel of my left speaker  does not have the right impedance. It does not play loud enough and the crossover frequency is changed.  

I have not  received another  replacement part yet, but Monday night I eventually understood why my left speaker could not play as loud as my right speaker. Even with the midrange pad set to the max it could not play as loud as my right speaker. Furthermore I knew that the left midrange  driver alone was playing louder  than the right one  ....  hmmmm .... how could this be?   .....  

:idea: What if the midrange would cancel the woofer and the tweeter?  
Could it  be is out of phase?

I swapped the connectors on the new midrange driver and bingo - the balance between the two channels came back. Imaging was strong again. Still, the two speakers do not sound 100% identical, but at least I can enjoy music.

More later ...

Bruno

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2005, 05:44 pm »
I have not  received another  replacement part yet, but Monday night I eventually understood why my left speaker could not play as loud as my right speaker. Even with the midrange pad set to the max it could not play as loud as my right speaker. Furthermore I knew that the left midrange  driver alone was playing louder  than the right one  ....  hmmmm .... how could this be?   .....  

:idea:What if the midrange would cancel the woofer and the tweeter?  
Could it  be is out of phase?

I swappe ...

Bruno,

I have a measurement system and can test your speakers for free if you want to bring them over to my place. I'll also extend this offer to any AC member.

BrunoB

« Reply #30 on: 27 Jan 2005, 03:08 pm »
Quote from: Rick Craig
Bruno,

I have a measurement system and can test your speakers for free if you want to bring them over to my place. I'll also extend this offer to any AC member.

Very cool!

Rick, I have sent you a PM.

BrunoB

« Reply #31 on: 3 Feb 2005, 04:31 am »
A replacement panel is on his way. Furthermore, I was quite happy with the sound tonight.
If someone would like to come over for a listen this Sunday afternoon, let me know ...

Bruno

BrunoB

« Reply #32 on: 8 Feb 2005, 03:29 pm »
Next meeting is planned for Sunday Februari 13.  Sorry for the  short notice. I don't want to plan now for later dates because I might move this month or next month. Send me a PM if you would like to come over.

Bruno

BrunoB

« Reply #33 on: 21 Feb 2005, 08:27 pm »
Next meeting is planned for Saturday Februari 26 afternoon.  This meeting  could be one of the two  last ones before I pack everything for moving. I have the best sound I have had up to now. Send me a PM if you would like to come over.

Bruno

claud

« Reply #34 on: 21 Feb 2005, 09:21 pm »
Bruno,
Where are you moving to? When are you going?

BrunoB

« Reply #35 on: 23 Feb 2005, 02:15 pm »
Quote from: claud
Bruno,
Where are you moving to? When are you going?

I am moving to Europe (first Belgium, may be Germany or France depending on the location of my next job). I will move probably in mid March.

Guys, you should really come over for a listen before I move. Recently, I improved the soundstage (deeper, better focus, more immersive) ,  the bass (more of it and cleaner), the midrange (more resolution and smoothness) while still having a very sweet and extended treble. The sound is very detailed, fast and non fatiguing. It is not perfect, but I really love it. I described the mods of my speakers here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=16595

Bruno

BrunoB

Next Sound Cocoon meeting
« Reply #36 on: 8 Mar 2005, 03:41 pm »
I am still in town.  This coming week end,  Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 at 2 PM are the next possible dates for the a Sound Cocoon meeting. Sorry for the short notice. As usual, send me a PM or post a message here if you are interested to come over.

Bruno