Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?
« on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:03 pm »
I've been going back and forth with the folks at Magnepan for the past month or so to see how I could get them involved with this Circle without stretching them too thin.
As Magnepan states on their website and other posts in forums and chat rooms, their small staff does not have the ability to monitor or respond to questions in chat rooms or forums.
I am a bit of a Magneplanar "junkie" with several models around the house and more to come (it's a sickness). If you have a Magnepan question, post it on this site and I will do my best to get the answer for you or see that someone that knows the answer gets back to you.
Hopefully, this will work for the membership here and the people who get paid to make our speakers.  Any questions, fire away.

For what it's worth, I tried to extend the offer to other planar manufacturers but not a peep which I suppose says something right there.

Don_S

Re: Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:27 pm »
Steve, Steve, Steve--oooh, oooh Can I be first?  Hand raised and waiving.   :lol:

Any news about the "minis"?  I don't have room for the "biguns".

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:31 pm »
Yes, you certainly may!
I'll be back presently and while I'm gone, the lovely Vanna White will present you with a lifetime supply of Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco Treat, for you to enjoy on your all expenses paid cruise for two to beautiful Aruba!!!

youravhandyman

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2011, 05:33 pm »
Hey guys, there is an official Magnepan chat room that is moderated under the Bryston thread.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=91239.0

And I think there is an answer on the Mini's there too.

Matt

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2011, 06:41 pm »
Youravhandyman, I think that they're trying to incorporate it into the Speaker section.  You could say that this is official if you wish.  It's possible that the answer has been posted over at the Magnepan Child Board already.
As Wendell said, he's trying to find what will work the best for him as it doesn't sound like his boss is going to hire an assistant for him within his lifetime.

Production for the mini maggies has been pushed back as they're getting hammered with orders for the 1.7 and 3.7s so they have to clear the backlog on the big boys.
How long that will be remains to be seen.  If you tell people to stop ordering the big ones it will speed things up!
The minis are going to be quite something - a three piece system using the .7 technology and they'll come in at roughly $1600 for the package, give or take.  You will need the subwoofer as that contains the crossover so 3 piece it is.
I've been looking at this downstairs bedroom/office and wondering where I can stick some MMGs but these upcoming minis would be a much better fit. 
I don't expect them to replace the speakers in the larger rooms but for a small room such as this they should be just the ticket.

gtb75

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2011, 01:37 am »
That's awesome news on the Mini Maggie's...  I've also got an office system where the Mini's would be awesome (I'm using Usher S520's now)!  Is the woofer going to be the Magnepan woofer, or a traditional cone subwoofer?  I'm guessing the Magnepan woofer, but you said sub - so I'm just looking for some clarification. 

I'll also add that I spoke with Wendell today as well (about my 3.7 order)...  I've got a red pair on order and he said that they should be going to powdercoat either next week or the week after.  It'll be a gloss red powdercoat finish and there will be an upcharge for it.  Just in case anybody was wondering. 

Thanks for taking on this new responsibility Steve :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2011, 10:01 am »
It will be that Maggie subwoofer which is really more of a bass section than a sub. 
Congratulations on the red 3.7s! 

gtb75

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2011, 01:40 pm »
That's what I figured - just looking for clarification.  Thanks for the info Steve! 

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2011, 03:48 pm »
Steve,

Please ask if there is an option for a 2.2 Mini system (i.e. two bass modules) and if the crossovers can be bypassed to use an external crossover.  Thanks.

It will be that Maggie subwoofer which is really more of a bass section than a sub. 
Congratulations on the red 3.7s!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2011, 11:08 pm »
Here's one from Troy over on the Planar Asylum:

I would like some more details about how the 20.1 midrange and bass is built different than the 3.6? Also is the ability to play louder the only benefit?

Also does Wendell prefer absorption or diffusion, if diffusion any preferred flavor QRD, geometric, etc...

And here is the response:

I get a question like this nearly every day on one model or another. It would mean a short white paper to attempt to cover the subject--- and some of it we just don't know. Much of the development is a cut-and-try process. If something works, we don't always know the exact reason.

The 20.1 is a 3.6 without regard to cost. Everything we make is about price/performance value. The 20.1 was designed without this concern. If something could make it a little better, it was done. But, there is no audio "jewelry". If cost was put into the 20.1, there had to be a detectable (blindfolded) improvement.

Absorption or diffusion? Both, but in moderation. Again, we do it by cut-and-try. No favored brands, etc

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2011, 11:40 pm »
For Don_S:

Two woofers (model DWM) can be used. The crossover is built into the DWM and can not be bypassed.

2bigears

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2011, 11:50 pm »
 :D  are you guys going to up the 20.1 any time soon like the 3.6's ????? :D  i have the 3.6's and think they are a very good speaker indeed.  Pat   :D

josh358

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2011, 12:58 am »
Someone already asked about a 20.2 on the other forum -- if you enjoy tea leaf reading, I suggest you check out the full answer there -- but the bottom line was that there's no official confirmation at this point.

Don_S

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2011, 01:03 am »
Steve,  Thanks for the info.  Bummer that the crossovers can't be bypassed.  That limits options.

For Don_S:

Two woofers (model DWM) can be used. The crossover is built into the DWM and can not be bypassed.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2011, 10:55 am »
For the mini Maggies, I would think that a conventional subwoofer might be more useful than a second panel subwoofer? 
As Josh said regarding the 20.2s, I wouldn't be expecting anything along those lines anytime soon.

josh358

« Reply #15 on: 12 May 2011, 05:45 pm »
Hi Steve,

Another question for Wendell -- can the Mini Maggies be used on stands, as nearfield monitors, or do they have to be sitting on a horizontal surface like a desk?

won ton on

« Reply #16 on: 26 May 2011, 11:40 am »
To Steve Ford or Wendell         I would like to get maggie 1.7's but i think my room might be too small. It is a dedicated room in the basement 11 feet wide and 17 feet long by about 7 and a half feet high. Also is a Bryston 4bsst2 enough to drive them.  thanks  Scott

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #17 on: 26 May 2011, 04:33 pm »
Can you guys upgrade my 1.6s to 1.7s, say for about $250 bucks?     :lol:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 26 May 2011, 11:17 pm »
Sorry to be so slow in getting these responses for you:

Another question for Wendell -- can the Mini Maggies be used on stands, as nearfield monitors, or do they have to be sitting on a horizontal surface like a desk? 
They could be put on stands, but, Mini Maggies are only recommended in spaces where a 1.7 can not be shoe-horned in.  

I would like to get maggie 1.7's but i think my room might be too small.
It is a dedicated room in the basement 11 feet wide and 17 feet long by about 7 and a half feet high.
Yes, that is small, but, what are your options? A smaller, lower-definition Maggie such as the MMG? I would take the 1.7 over the Mini Maggies in that room.

Also is a Bryston 4bsst2 enough to drive them.
That is enough for me in a smallish room, but, I am reluctant to say how much would satisfy someone else.

The question from thunderbrick got me wondering if it's even possible to upgrade the 1.6s to 1.7 configuration so I'll try and find out.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2011, 12:54 am »
For the esteemed thunderbrick,

Is it possible to modify the 1.6s into 1.7s (and presumably 3.6s into 3.7s)?

No.

I've got to admit, Wendell makes me laugh.